PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gauge Accuracy

onewheat
05-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Do any of you have any issues with seriously inaccurate gas gauges? The reason I ask is, this weekend, my first big weekend out on the lake, my gauge was reading 3/8 of a tank while idling, but the boat stalled several times. I could get it running again after extended cranking and it ran strong while back underway. I went to a nearby friend's house and borrowed 5 gallons of fuel, then ran to the marina to fill up. I do understand you don't want to run a tank really low in a boat, but you would think a reading of 3/8 of a tank in a 45 gallon tank should still leave you a lot of fuel to go, right? :confused:

This is in a 2007 X-15 BTW.

dmayer84
05-08-2007, 12:09 AM
There are screwson the top of the sensor to adjust it, I know what you mean though. First day out with my x10, got it used, was reading just under 1/2 a tank, no it was empty.

WESSTAR
05-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Was it really at 3/8 of a tank how many gals did you put in to fill up. I dont trust gas guages I fill up at least every other day if not everyday. When my gas gauge says 3/4 that means I burned 12 gals 1/2 means 30+ and it is 52 gal

onewheat
05-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I added 20 gallons, but didn't fill it because I only had a couple more hours before my 4 hour trailer dragging sesson home. That put me close to full on the gauge. When it was reading 3/8 tank, I could still see 4 or 5 inches in the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure where the pickup is, but it looked like there should have been plenty left. I may have to carry a few spare gallons with me in a can (added ballast too) until I get this figured out for sure. Running out of fuel on a lake is definitely no fun!

TOO-TALL
05-08-2007, 11:20 PM
My gauge is off 1/4.I know when the gauge reads 1/4 its close to empty find a gas station.Is there a quick fix???
03'X2

betsy&david Harrison
05-08-2007, 11:27 PM
I added 20 gallons, but didn't fill it because I only had a couple more hours before my 4 hour trailer dragging sesson home. That put me close to full on the gauge. When it was reading 3/8 tank, I could still see 4 or 5 inches in the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure where the pickup is, but it looked like there should have been plenty left. I may have to carry a few spare gallons with me in a can (added ballast too) until I get this figured out for sure. Running out of fuel on a lake is definitely no fun!
THREAD JACK! THREAD JACK! THREAD JACK!

Is that your bike helmet in your avatar? Hate to think what that cost out here on the west coast...$600.00 or so

onewheat
05-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Yep, that's it. I bought it quite a while back. I'm sure it's due to be replaced based on their stated lifespan of 5 years. It's an Arai Quantum F Sakata Replica and I think I paid around $400 in 2000. I haven't ridden much in the last couple years, so I can't bring myself to spend the $$$ to get a replacement for it. I have a new boat that needs toys to go with it.

Leroy
05-09-2007, 12:40 AM
My gauge is close at the ends, but slow moving for first half tank and then moves very quickly.

You can look at the tank and normally see the level in the tank.

rock skier
05-09-2007, 12:59 AM
Mine doesn't work at all. i just fill up every time I take it out.

JKTX21
05-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Mine doesn't work at all. i just fill up every time I take it out.

Same here. And with fuel being the price it is, no more WOT 6 miles up river.

How do you adjust the gauge / sender on a '96?

skeeler
05-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Like I said before about the ballast gauges, doesn't matter what kind of boat you have, all analog gauges IMO are never accurate.

HoustonAttorney
05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I had the same worries about my 91 PS 190 this weekend--gauge said 1/10th of a tank when I left the water. Put 25.5 gallons in what I thought was a 25 gallon tank. Just looked up my fuel capacity and low and behold it is a 30 gallon tank! Lightbulbs going off everywhere here.