PDA

View Full Version : freakin' insurance

blackbeauty02
05-07-2007, 11:34 PM
so it's been 2 weeks today and i have no idea what is going on with my claim. called my adjustor again today (about once every 3 days) and he is out of the office until tomorrow. Called about 5 other people one of which is a supervisor and the other the supervisor of the supervisor. Told each of them that I want to speak to the head of the head of the head of them. Getting pretty pissed off at how this is being handled. Heads are gonna start rollin' unless something happens.

jimmer2880
05-08-2007, 07:15 AM
That really has to stink. Do you mind me asking what insurance co. this is? (So I can steer clear of them).

blackbeauty02
05-08-2007, 01:57 PM
liberty mutual. just switched over to them b/c they saved us over half on all our insurance but the service seems to be inadequate.

blackbeauty02
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
so yea I just got off the phone with the adjustor who is trying to estimate the value of the boat. we had a small argument b/c he shows (according to their dumba$$ stats) that the 92 prostars have a 90hp mercruiser in it. Told them it was a Ford Indmar 351 with 285 hp. Went back and forth until he found that every boat on boatrader and ebay was the Indmar.

beatle78
05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
blackbeauty02,

don't forget to look at boattrader and ebay and see was your old boat is going for. You need ammunition to come back when they low ball you.

FYI,

A buddy here at work had his car totalled and the adjuster came in with one amount, he said I want this amount. They the adjuster went silent. He called him back and he was so unorganized he offered him $200 more than he asked.

Moral: It's a game to them. You have to have the right cards and the intestinal fortitude to argue with them and you should make out OK.

We have Liberty Mututal for everything except Boat. Never had a claim with them though. We have a local broker here in RI so if there was a problem, he would be the first I would call and tell him your cancelling. He's commision based so you bet he would be making some quick phone calls.

Do you have a local broker?

blackbeauty02
05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
i'm not sure but everyone has told me to call my agent (who is my fiance's sister-in-law) and tell her that I am considering cancelling my policy. Pretty sure I'm not going to settle for less than $13k. I'm seeing prostar 190's that are closed bows going for that w/o a tower.

beatle78
05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
CALL YOUR AGENT, that's what they are for!!!!!

And don't settle for anything less than you think your boat is truly worth.

Don't get discouraged man, but you need to follow the right process.

Step 1: Call your agent
Step 2: Figure out the fair market value of your boat AND trailer. People sometimes forget to also check out the value of the trailer in addition to the boat.

Good luck and keep us posted....

p.s. Call your agent.... right now.....

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 10:46 PM
CALL YOUR AGENT, that's what they are for!!!!!

And don't settle for anything less than you think your boat is truly worth.

Don't get discouraged man, but you need to follow the right process.

Step 1: Call your agent
Step 2: Figure out the fair market value of your boat AND trailer. People sometimes forget to also check out the value of the trailer in addition to the boat.

Good luck and keep us posted....

p.s. Call your agent.... right now.....

The agent who wrote the boat insurance policy to begin with should have in his records and you should have in your records from the insurance company all the information on the boat, the trailer VIN, the boat HIN, the engine/transmission serial #'s along with the horsepower, length and insured value. Without this information I don't see how you had/got this boat insured and how they could have even quoted you a premium without it. This information, in our case is even on our property tax records for tax evaluation. All the insurance company had to do then is call MC @ 1-423-884-2221 with the HIN and the original equipment on the boat could have been verified, horsepower, etc, if necessary. All this info would also be available from the state in which the boat is registered.
I am confused to say the least.

Maristar210
05-08-2007, 11:07 PM
You should sue both your insurance company for not finding your boat and this board for not allowing you to talk about another brand of ski boat on a MASTERCRAFT forum.

If that doesn't work sue congress. I'm sure it'll work:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LakePirate
05-08-2007, 11:12 PM
You should sue both your insurance company for not finding your boat and this board for not allowing you to talk about another brand of ski boat on a MASTERCRAFT forum.

If that doesn't work sue congress. I'm sure it'll work:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just sue the Navy, I bet that will work wonderfully as well.

blackbeauty02
05-08-2007, 11:58 PM
well in the policy it shows that it is valued at 12500 but I believe that is w/o the tower and new transmission that is in it.

Monte
05-09-2007, 12:01 AM
If that is what your agreed value is, that is the most you will get. If it is stated amount, ACV will come into play. Seems like 12,500 less the ded the most you will get.. just my 2cents, and I do it for a living.

6ballsisall
05-09-2007, 12:04 AM
You may have negotiating room on the tower but I don't see where you have negotiating room w/ the transmission. (in terms of getting the value out of the boat) One would assume for the RETAIL price you have the boat insured that the boat would be in working order (i.e. working transmission)

Ric
06-16-2007, 03:26 PM
You may have negotiating room on the tower but I don't see where you have negotiating room w/ the transmission. (in terms of getting the value out of the boat) One would assume for the RETAIL price you have the boat insured that the boat would be in working order (i.e. working transmission) beauty, we need an update on this story

blackbeauty02
06-16-2007, 04:28 PM
received a check for 12500 and they voided the deductible plus I got a check for $800 for stuff that was in the boat. just looking for the right boat now. by the time i find it i'll prob be able to pay cash for it again. looking to spend $30-34k

MCBarefoot311
06-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey there. I am new on this board and am still in the market for my boat. I did want to mention though that I have had Progressive on all of my watercrafts and boats and they by far have had the best pricing, best staff and best services around! I knwo sometimes this depends on what area you are in.

If you go to Overtons.com and click on the link for Progressive through that webiste, you will get the best rate available.

Hope this helps.

MCBarefoot311

cbryan70
06-16-2007, 07:26 PM
the only insurance company that i have found to insure my boat is boatUS due to its old age

beatle78
06-18-2007, 12:02 PM
blackbeauty02, how did you make out with your insurance?

Ramhouse
06-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I sure hope all works out for you. Just have plenty of other listing with you when you go to determin the amount they are going to give you. More the better. Went thru this with my daughters car. I had all the comps ready prior to there first offer. Hope all goes well. When insuring for a set amount might be a little different. I have my '93 190 set at $17,500 including trailer. It only cost a little bit more to maybe avoid a few problems in the long run.