PDA

View Full Version : Depression???

milkmania
05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
guys,

one of my family members started suffering with depression for the last 8 to 10 years....

how does some deal with it?

Maristar210
05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Milk,

I have been thinking about your wife for years. I wish I had a majic answer but the trust is certainly inside her.. Encapusulation method may work. She has an anxiety issue in my opinion......

JKTX21
05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Hmmm, that's tough. Someone very close to me has dealt with depression for a very long time. She is on medication for it and it really does help. Come to think of it, everyone in my family has had depression at one point or another.

I thought it was a bunch of baloney, depression that is, until it happened to me. I'm too high strung my doctor says and I need to just chill out. I think the best thing to do is seek professional help.

jeverett
05-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your family member, depression is difficult to deal with when you are not the person who has it. The clinical diagnosis is an easyone. My bet is see a physician.

milkmania
05-08-2007, 09:33 AM
she's been on anti-depressents for approx. 7 years.

she pretty much has become none functioning.
her room is a mess, her bathroom is a mess, her life is a mess.

she's supposed to be at work at 8:15, well at 7:30, she's still in bed.
she's gotten to the point where she leaves the house everyday between 8:30 to 8:35, for a 20 minute drive to work.
As soon as she gets home, it's straight to bed! The weekends are spent in bed.
I've been diagnosed with clinical depression twice. But mine was brought on by problems I had little or no control over.

It's difficult to understand:(
I just don't get it!

Maristar210
05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear it Milk. I'm sorry for you and the kids as well. Not good for them to be around this.

School Skier
05-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Get professional help soon medication will also help. Don't let it go on very long it can only get worse. Be supportive of that person!

M-Funf
05-08-2007, 12:12 PM
guys,

one of my family members started suffering with depression for the last 8 to 10 years....

Sorry to hear it, Milk. I don't know what to say about how to deal with it, except keep a positive outlook and try to keep them active...Although I don't know that I'm any help :o

kycat2007
05-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Milk my ex had similar things happening to her. She was on a generic Prozac and she started to sleep more and more. She was calling in and during the einter she would come straigt home and sleep.
Her boss a doctor in this field said she was having breakthru depression. That is when the meds aren't doing the job anymore and she had to change meds. She is now taking Cymbalta. She says she gets less good sleep now. She has lost her libido and she says she feels numb like neither happy or sad.
I would say to have her counselor or just talk to her about having her meds reevaluated. They are stubborn at times so you have to do it with a loving hand.

Good luck Milk

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I would say to have her counselor or just talk to her about having her meds reevaluated. They are stubborn at times so you have to do it with a loving hand.

Good luck Milk
I agree with B-rad here. Good advice B-rad! See a few different doctors, have meds evaluated, and consider counseling or therapy.

Jesus_Freak
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM

Dearly sorry my friend. For dealing with it, take it to the One who can help the most.

kycat2007
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Exercise is another thing that is said to be good. But it is hard to get them to do it. You may have to talk to her doctor for her. Ask about the breakthru depression and see if this is the cause. Man I feel for you as I stated earlier this is why she is now my ex. I tried very hard to cope but in th eend it was all for nought.

east tx skier
05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I've seen it up close in several friends and the slide can seem unreal at times. Now in two of these cases, it was bipolar disorder, which is something you definitely do not want to treat with antidepressants if I understand things correctly. But that doesn't sound like what you're dealing with to this non-doctor. Continued professional help is the only thing I've seen have any influence over this kind of thing. Stay strong.

Ric
05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Man this thread is bumming me out.

Seriously milk, the one thing that worries me about depression is the individual taking others down with them. I am not doctor. While I agree with those who say to be supportive, you better keep a close eye on yourself as those situations get sticky and next thing you know, you and your kids are living it too. :twocents:

M-Funf
05-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Continued professional help is the only thing I've seen have any influence over this kind of thing. Stay strong.

I agree with ETS on the continued professional help, but getting someone to seek out professional help is an extremely touchy situation...even suggesting therapy to someone who is depressed needs to be handled carefully. I would suggest seeking counseling yourself on how to approach the situation...

05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Continued professional help is the only thing I've seen have any influence over this kind of thing. Stay strong.
Better listen to him Milk, he is Pre-law. or post law I guess. just listen to him. East is right, professional help! I say seek help from different sources. get different doctor opinoins.

trickskier
05-08-2007, 02:18 PM
I agree with everyone above, she needs professional help ASAP........Best of Luck!!!

Harvey
05-08-2007, 02:47 PM
My best wishes go out to you Milk. I know how hard it is to see someone go through this when you love them. My experience with depression is small but both my fiance and I suffer from it from time to time. Mine is something I have control over, when I get low enough it actually motivates me to pick myself back up. My fiance will get down and the only thing that gets her out of the funk is a fundamental change in situation sometimes by her own accord and sometimes by mine.

I think every case of depression is different. I agree with everyone else, professional help is best. Start with seeking out some advice for yourself and then see if you can get her involved. Once again best of luck.

mtnsun
05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I have been dealing with depression for some time now also. I finally got sick & tired of being down and in a bad mood all of the time, so I made an appointment to see a Doc about it. Best thing I ever did. I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression and have been on meds for about the past 9 years. It took a while to get the medication right and balanced out but i'm feeling a bunch better. I still have my days where I feel a little down but the overall feeling is 99% better.
Finally able to get back to doing the things I enjoy and be around my friends again. It really hurts not only you but also the people around you and close to you. It's a pretty open thing for me to talk about now and I encourage anyone struggling with depression to at least see a Doctor. Time and patients.... Good luck.
JJ

milkmania
05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
thanks for the input and thoughts

my wife's Dr. is not doing her justice!

Her Dr. is simply pushing pills and telling her to come back next year.

for 5 or 6 years, she was on this one anti-depressent, and after our family's troubles last year, she had the Dr.switch her to Paxil.

no change!

now, when I was hospitilized for depression, it was a little bit different situation... The Dr. would monitor me, and adjust my dosages weekly.

my depression is a little bit different than my wife's... I get depressed when I feel overwhelmed. not by the fact of being overwhelmed,but by the fact that I don't have answers to the problems I am dealing with.

That was all and good while I was in the hospital, but when I got out, I still had the exact same problems that drove me to seek help...
I stopped cold turkey, stepped back and took a good long look at the things I had control over, and the things I had no control over. It worked wonders.

I am to the point that I've taken pictures of the house, and I am going to seek consultation with my wife's Dr.

...I am stopping short of dealing with Child Protective Services, because my wife is no longer doing right by my kids. and I really don't want to open that can of worms!

my wife is not the person I married!

05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Go for it Milk, get her the help she needs. Your doing the right thing by taking action on this. Best of luck.

Bruce
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Milk,
When I fought short bouts of depression I always reminded myself that Freud said" depression is anger turned inward". Once I dug out of my psyche what I was angry about I could deal with it. This info will probably not be as effective as the prayers I will be saying for you and your family!
God Bless.
Bruce

05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Milk,
When I fought short bouts of depression I always reminded myself that Freud said" depression is anger turned inward". Once I dug out of my psyche what I was angry about I could deal with it. This info will probably not be as effective as the prayers I will be saying for you and your family!
God Bless.
Bruce
Intersting Bruce. I never heard that Freud quote before. Intersting. That makes sense. I do think there are some cases where the depresssion is genuinely chemical imbalance though, without outside factors. Others are influenced by things that happen in a persons life (divorce, losing a loved one, job loss, injury, disease, etc...) I have studied anxiety a bit, and depression is closely related mechanism in the brain from what I have read.

mtnsun
05-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Keep the good circle of friends around you and let them help in any way they can (if they offer support). That was the hardest thing for me to do but glad I finally did. I have been an independant person for so long that help from others was out of the question until I let someone in.
Someone from the outside can offer amazing help and insight. I have had the feeling of being bogged down with too many thing to do also. My biggest problem is those days where I can do anything I want to. Go for a hike, mtn bike ride, ski or snowboard, snowmobile.... You name it, I have the choice of doing it. Well I get so bogged down with what I want to do that I end up sitting at home doing nothing. It's like I can't process things sometimes.
My other big problem is spending... That is the thing I am trying to deal with right now. I get this craving to just go on these crazy spending sprees and buy things. Expensive things. It's like I go out and buy some new toy in hopes that it will fill a void in my life. I do like nice things but come on. There's a limit for one person. Isn't there?
When I moved to Colorado 9 years ago (from Michigan) I lived a very simple life. Had a small house, a nice truck and only small material things like my mtn bike and hockey equiptment, ski's & snowboard. I came out here for work and to live my dream. Along the way I met this girl who moved in with me. At the time I thought she was the one... As time went on I started buying more and more things to play with. Got a new truck, built a new house, snowmobiles, motorcycle... On and on. She made good money as I did. The more material things I purchased, the more it took me away from the reason I moved to Colorado. I stopped going on hikes and being that person I once was. That's where I am today. I am tempted to sell all of it (except for the Master Craft), sell the big house and go back to being simple. The new woman in my life (the one in the pic) has started to get my feet back on the ground. She is amazing. Sorry for the "story" but just wanted to get it off my chest.

JJ

JKTX21
05-09-2007, 11:31 AM
There's a limit for one person. Isn't there?
When I moved to Colorado 9 years ago (from Michigan) I lived a very simple life. Had a small house, a nice truck and only small material things like my mtn bike and hockey equiptment, ski's & snowboard.
JJ

I'm the same way. If I'm not careful, I will have made commitments to go cycling, running, basketball, workout, go to the river, and party, etc. all in the same day. I was getting stressed out trying to have a good time. So now I have to limit my activities to one or two things and take some down time. I spend about 75% of my weekend time at the river or messing with the boat now! :D

mtnsun
05-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Same thing with me. I have learned to devote one day for specific things. Like I will take one day and only do yard work and things around the house. That helps me stay foccused and on track a bit better. It's those random things that throw me off. Someone calls and says "we are heading out for a bike ride or heading to snowboard" when I'm doing something already. I just need to learn not to drop what i'm in the middle of and take off. I can't stand that! Getting better.....
My agenda for tomorrow, Got the day off and heading to the lake!