PDA

View Full Version : Lube What Kind??

dmayer84
05-07-2007, 05:45 PM
What does everyone use for binding lube?

I can't justify that extra money for those fancy lubes and have been usining palmolive lately. Just wanted to see what everyone else is using

milkmania
05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
softsoap seems to work well...............MSDS = http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=3008012

but with a thread name like that...

http://www.pacifichighlander.postkiwi.com/images/Can-of-worms.jpg

8p

east tx skier
05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
What does everyone use for binding lube?

I can't justify that extra money for those fancy lubes and have been usining palmolive lately. Just wanted to see what everyone else is using

Ivory liquid soap cut heavily with water.

Mag_Red
05-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Dawn or Ivory.....I'm a cheap skate;)

RackAtak
05-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Astroglide

Farmer Ted
05-07-2007, 06:40 PM
what ever shampoo we take camping, keep a small bottle in the back for bindings and refill as needed.

I feel more comfortable using shampoo over dish detergent

JohnnyB
05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
1/4 ivory and 3/4 water in a "foaming" hand soap dispenser.

rodltg2
05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
messy but shaving cream works well and dissappates fast

sanjuan23
05-07-2007, 06:51 PM
2nd on the 69 cent cans of Barbasol Shaving Cream!

pram
05-07-2007, 06:57 PM
The JUICE of the MOOSE

Shaving cream hmmmmm never thought of that. I remember using a soap concoction that someone made one time and lo and behold to much soap and came out of my binding. Not very nice

C36
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
One morning last summer I was horrified to see piles of foam scattered all around the shoreline in the bay where our family cottage/cabin is. :eek3:

After a little investigating, I came to suspect that it was caused by some people camping on public land washing their dishes and bathing directly in the lake with detergent (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/small_business/car_yards/detergents.htm). :noface:

Using dish detergent as binding lube has the same affect - detergent being placed directly into river/lake/ocean you use. :eek:

I would encourage anyone and everyone currently doing this (using detergent as binding lube) to reconsider this practice and to look into an alternative with low (or at least lower) environmental impact. Please!

rodltg2
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
One morning last summer I was horrified to see piles of foam scattered all around the shoreline in the bay where our family cottage/cabin is. :eek3:

After a little investigating, I came to suspect that it was caused by some people camping on public land washing their dishes and bathing directly in the lake with detergent (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/small_business/car_yards/detergents.htm). :noface:

Using dish detergent as binding lube has the same affect - detergent being placed directly into river/lake/ocean you use. :eek:

I would encourage anyone and everyone currently doing this (using detergent as binding lube) to reconsider this practice and to look into an alternative with low (or at least lower) environmental impact. Please!

i cant imagine that someone using soap as binding lube would foam uop the shore line. at our private site, the lake is no bigger than 2100ft x 220ft and every member aside from hard shell users use some sort of dish soap. we never have a problem with foam on the shore or anywhere else. i howver am doing my part and use hard shell bindings. no soap needed..

TMCNo1
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
But, the bottom of the boat stays so clean and no one suffers from "Dishpan Feet"!!!!!

uawaterskier
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM
on the back of the Dawn bottle it says "contains no phosphate" it also says "Dawn contains biodegradable surfacants (anionic and nonionic)"

sounds like it isnt hurting the water at all

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Babe's boot butter for me. Easy on the enviroment, and my bindings. Feels good on the feet and uh.....Boom chicka boump bowwww!:D

JimN
05-07-2007, 08:21 PM
C36- all detergent is bio-degradable, according to the guides for Diamond River Adventures, one of the rafting companies in the Grand Canyon. The G.C. has about a zero tolerance policy on anything that can have a bad effect on the water/wildlife and they said that any shampoo or soap is fine. You can call P&G or any other manufacturer for technical info on their products.

Maristar210
05-07-2007, 08:23 PM

You are tragically misinformed about the effects of today's soap products. I think I'll get some pomolive to foam up with my beer urine as a result.

Harvey
05-07-2007, 08:25 PM
I actually use a biodegradable hand soap bought in bulk. I mix it with water about 60% soap/40% water. Works well.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-07-2007, 08:29 PM
The disadvantage to soaps is they can dry out your bindings.

Harvey
05-07-2007, 08:38 PM
The disadvantage to soaps is they can dry out your bindings.

I don't know about ski boots but this is not true, at least in my exprience, for wakeboard bindings. I had a pair of liquid force ultra sucs for more than 4 years and I used Johnson & Jonhnson baby shampoo for all four years and not once did they dry them out.

TX.X-30 fan
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
One morning last summer I was horrified to see piles of foam scattered all around the shoreline in the bay where our family cottage/cabin is.
After a little investigating, I came to suspect that it was caused by some people camping on public land washing their dishes and bathing directly in the lake with detergent (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/small_business/car_yards/detergents.htm).

?????????????????????????

WTRSK1R
05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
One of my ski buddies always uses shampoo cut with water, and for various reasons I have used his from time to time. It never feels like it rinses completely out after I am in the water, and my binding feels like I am going to slip out it. Therefore, I try to use binding lube that will rinse out completely.

I have tried Moose Juice, Newts, and a variety of others over the years, and I must say that my favorite is Babes Boot Butter. It is by far some of the slipperiest lube I have ever used, and within seconds of hitting the water it is gone. I believe the bottle says it is made from seaweed, so it is definately eco friendly. I do not think I will buy anything else in the future when my current gallon runs out. Worth every cent.

Steve

Maristar210
05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
One of my ski buddies always uses shampoo cut with water, and for various reasons I have used his from time to time. It never feels like it rinses completely out after I am in the water, and my binding feels like I am going to slip out it. Therefore, I try to use binding lube that will rinse out completely.

I have tried Moose Juice, Newts, and a variety of others over the years, and I must say that my favorite is Babes Boot Butter. It is by far some of the slipperiest lube I have ever used, and within seconds of hitting the water it is gone. I believe the bottle says it is made from seaweed, so it is definately eco friendly. I do not think I will buy anything else in the future when my current gallon runs out. Worth every cent.

Steve

From one Steve to another. I wave the bull **** flag. Us wakeboard f*** love to pile lubricant in every possible orifice. I'm squeaky cleeeen?

WTRSK1R
05-07-2007, 08:56 PM
From one Steve to another. I wave the bull **** flag. Us wakeboard f*** love to pile lubricant in every possible orifice. I'm squeaky cleeeen?

Steve,
To each his own. Maybe my experience with soap is not the same as yours. Maybe its the soap my friend uses. All I know, is my heel pulls up in my binding when I use soap, and it doesn't when I use store bought lube.

Steve

Maristar210
05-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Steve,
To each his own. Maybe my experience with soap is not the same as yours. Maybe its the soap my friend uses. All I know, is my heel pulls up in my binding when I use soap, and it doesn't when I use store bought lube.

Steve

Perhaps Steve. Who am I to dispute? I don't even use the stuff. I force my foot into the binding and I eliminate the fore and aft sliders....:D

BCBlazers
05-07-2007, 09:43 PM
cant believe it hasn't been mentioned, but we have an old bottle of Bullfrog Gel sunscreen that somebody left in the boat. it works awesome, plus it keeps your feet from gettin sunburned :)

Doug G
05-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Water and a pair of hinge tech bindings. No lube required :D

Leroy
05-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Liquid Ivory cut 50/50 with water. Put in squirt bottle. Works pretty much the same as slime, so much so I think they are the same.

DemolitionMan
05-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I use shaving cream

JimN
05-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Has anyone tried one of the "water based" lubricants? The comments alone should be worth the price.

Toober Tom
05-08-2007, 09:28 AM
I use Antifungal Athlete's Foot Cream.

dmayer84
05-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Someone left some stuff called Toe Jam in my boat. It works ok, but I'll give you one guess what it looks like.

JimN
05-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Toober- FYI-this thread is about binding lube.:D

east tx skier
05-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Has anyone tried one of the "water based" lubricants? The comments alone should be worth the price.

My hunch about the glycerine lubes is that they don't dissapate quickly enough since water seems to make them even more slippery.

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Teak Oil, kill 2 birds with one stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmayer84
05-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Teak Oil, kill 2 birds with one stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think that is good for the water:D8p:D

Rich_G
05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Cheapo brand Hair Conditioner - heavily diluted with water. As the bottle starts getting empty, I just keep diluting it with more lake water. Gets me in the boot but completely dissipates once I'm in the water.

hacker
05-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Fantastik! Good and slippery and it's gone as soon as you hit the water, Nice and easy spray bottle too.

Willski
05-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I just use regular dish soap, but not much. Maybe 50/50 mix with water.

ski_king
05-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I usually steal a half full bottle of dishwashing liquid from under the sink of the travel trailer and top it off with river water. It works fine for me.

Funny part was wife found it in the boat and retrieved it to wash the dishes, then couldnt understand why the kids and I decided to eat only from paper plates.

Willski
05-08-2007, 11:28 AM
I usually steal a half full bottle of dishwashing liquid from under the sink of the travel trailer and top it off with river water. It works fine for me.

Funny part was wife found it in the boat and retrieved it to wash the dishes, then couldnt understand why the kids and I decided to eat only from paper plates.

I steal it from under the sink at home, then wonder why I never have dish soap in the house during the summer!

C36
05-08-2007, 01:02 PM
You are tragically misinformed about the effects of today's soap products. I think I'll get some pomolive to foam up with my beer urine as a result.

C36- all detergent is bio-degradable, according to the guides for Diamond River Adventures, one of the rafting companies in the Grand Canyon. The G.C. has about a zero tolerance policy on anything that can have a bad effect on the water/wildlife and they said that any shampoo or soap is fine. You can call P&G or any other manufacturer for technical info on their products.

JimN - I hear what you are saying - but some of the sources I have looked at are not so supportive of even using "biodegrable" detergents.

"What does biodegradable mean?
The term biodegradable means the ability of a material to be broken down into its simplest chemicals such as water, carbon dioxide and mineral salts by organisms called decomposers (e.g. many bacteria). The Australian Standard for Biodegradability (AS 4351.1 - 1996) provides information on determining and reporting biodegradability.

Although people may believe they are doing the right thing by washing their cars with biodegradable detergent it is important to remember that these detergents can harm the environment too and that wastewater should never enter our waterways."

Source (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/small_business/car_yards/detergents.htm)

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Now I'm getting depressed and need to go post on the depression thread.
Now I know where the bubbles come from when I poot after drinking water.

MMCCAR12
05-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Oh yea, you must be buying Gas!!!!!

No money for lube

Maristar210
05-08-2007, 03:47 PM
JimN - I hear what you are saying - but some of the sources I have looked at are not so supportive of even using "biodegrable" detergents.

The term biodegradable means the ability of a material to be broken down into its simplest chemicals such as water, carbon dioxide and mineral salts by organisms called decomposers (e.g. many bacteria). The Australian Standard for Biodegradability (AS 4351.1 - 1996) provides information on determining and reporting biodegradability.

Although people may believe they are doing the right thing by washing their cars with biodegradable detergent it is important to remember that these detergents can harm the environment too and that wastewater should never enter our waterways."

Source (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/small_business/car_yards/detergents.htm)

...and since you found it on the internet it must be true then right?

oh man I want to go find a tree to hug and then CHOP IT DOWN AND BURN IT:D

TX.X-30 fan
05-08-2007, 04:58 PM

__________________________________________________ ____

The main environmental impacts associated with boating and water skiing fall into four key categories:

Noise engine and human noise

Pollution chemicals, gases, solid wastes, and biological contamination

Geomorphology and Hydrology shoreline and flora degradation, and turbidity

Birds and Wildlife disturbance and dislocation

Some of the more common types of impacts associated with these categories include:

Noise pollution from boat movement on the water and the club/marina grounds

Emission of harmful gases, gaseous products and particulates from marine engines

Emission of hydrocarbons into water body, ground water, lake sediments and atmosphere

Release of potentially toxic heavy metals in the water

Increased water turbidity due to the engine, boat and even water skier

Clogged intake valves from biological contaminants such as zebra mussels

Creations of excess garbage on land and water

Disturbance of birds and wildlife due to boating activity and noise

And a thimble full on dish soap is going to do what?? :confused: :confused:

tommcat
05-08-2007, 05:00 PM
barbasol shaving cream for me too

Maristar210
05-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I detest how these gullible tree hugging liberals decide everthing they read is gospel and then run to the highest mountain to proclaim what they think they know.

You tree hugging liberals need to search out something, its called a clue:rolleyes:

Flame on. Clinton lovers and the dress you gizzed on:mad: :mad:

LakePirate
05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
My hunch about the glycerine lubes is that they don't dissapate quickly enough since water seems to make them even more slippery.

Know this from experience?

/note to self stay out of Doug's hot tub.

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Know this from experience?
You have been using it on a waterslide, right????????????:cool: :rolleyes: :D

dmayer84
05-08-2007, 10:25 PM
I used to have a slick willie for getting in, didnt work all too well

http://waterski.about.com/cs/accessorieswate/gr/slickwillie.htm

Leroy
05-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Seems everything we do leaves some "footprint". I appreciate the theoretical discussion. :D

JimN
05-08-2007, 11:19 PM
C36- there are "environmentally friendly" soaps, available at REI and other places but as soaps go, they suck. Anyone who has gone into the Canyon for any kind of rafting trip has received an orientation as far as what is allowed, recommended and preferred. I was told in '97 that all soaps are phosphate free and won't harm the waterways. This is based on the number of people in the Canyon, annually and that doesn't even empty into the Gulf of California anymore.

Biodegradable is fine but the very act of degrading due to microbes, etc removes oxygen from the water. This is a problem in still water, not so in moving water. Back around Earth Day No. 1 (everyone can look it up if they don't know when it was), the local rivers were so badly polluted and oxygen depleted the salmon and trout didn't even go as far upstream as the first dam (about a mile from Lake Michigan). That dam and a few others have been removed since and with the cleaner water, they migrate, feed and breed somewhere in the range of 50-75 miles inland.

C36
05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
JimN - thank you the detailed response - particularly the comment on moving water - I had not seen this before.

C36- there are "environmentally friendly" soaps, available at REI and other places but as soaps go, they suck. Anyone who has gone into the Canyon for any kind of rafting trip has received an orientation as far as what is allowed, recommended and preferred. I was told in '97 that all soaps are phosphate free and won't harm the waterways. This is based on the number of people in the Canyon, annually and that doesn't even empty into the Gulf of California anymore.

Biodegradable is fine but the very act of degrading due to microbes, etc removes oxygen from the water. This is a problem in still water, not so in moving water. Back around Earth Day No. 1 (everyone can look it up if they don't know when it was), the local rivers were so badly polluted and oxygen depleted the salmon and trout didn't even go as far upstream as the first dam (about a mile from Lake Michigan). That dam and a few others have been removed since and with the cleaner water, they migrate, feed and breed somewhere in the range of 50-75 miles inland.

bigpack20
05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
One of my buddies always uses Toothpaste