PDA

View Full Version : "When I was a kid"

milkmania
05-07-2007, 06:33 PM
well, I pulled the "When I was a kid" card today.....

brought the kids home from school... (coulda rode the bus):mad:
got their snacks ready...
meanwhile, my son "called the TV" and my daughter "called the computer"

a fight started because my daughter was standing in my son's way, while he tried to watch a DVR'd movie.

(coulda paused it, but instead wanted to scream and holler) :mad:

That's when I pulled it!

"When I was a kid, we only had one channel!":rant:

any of you ever pull a card?

shepherd
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
When I was a kid, we could go trick-or-treating...
at night...
on October 31 even if it was a school night

sanjuan23
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
When I was a kid we could ride our bikes or get into all sorts of trouble until dinner time. We actually wanted to be outside.... Shocking now with all the computers/playstations etc. Wait a minute.... What the heck am I doing here....

Maristar210
05-07-2007, 08:01 PM
"When I was a kid gas was less than a dollar a gallon", I remember when your granfather got really pissed after it hit $1.00 per gallon, youda thought the world was ending. LOL

My dad used to pull the board with a nail and a rock for Christmas crap. Funny thing was it was true, they were pooooorr back then...

Best thread in a while MILK - good job

/refrains from slap to back of head

TMCNo1
05-07-2007, 08:49 PM
When I was in High School, I worked at a Package Store/Gas Station packing the beer coolers and pumping gas and regular was $.19/gal., unless there was a gas war and it was $.16/gal.
6 years later, I had a '69 Z/28 when Lynn and I got married in 1970 and Sunoco 260 that I ran, 101 octane, went from $.29/ gal. to $.42/gal, I got over it!

Harvey
05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
When I was in High School, I worked at a Package Store/Gas Station packing the beer coolers and pumping gas and regular was $.19/gal., unless there was a gas war and it was $.16/gal.
6 years later, I had a '69 Z/28 when Lynn and I got married in 1970 and Sunoco 260 that I ran, 101 octane, went from $.29/ gal. to $.42/gal, I got over it!

You forgot about the dinosaurs! :D

I have pulled the card. When I was a kid a pile of dirt was fun, play in it, make a jump for our bikes out of it, add some water and make mud pies from it. Nowadays kid's scoff at a pile of dirt. When I was a kid I could fill the 12 gallon tank in my 1972 Nova SS with premium for 12 dollars.

JimN
05-07-2007, 09:15 PM
You had a pile of dirt?

"I was so poor, I couldn't pay attention in school."

"I was so poor, when I went to a friend's house, I couldn't spend the night."

uawaterskier
05-07-2007, 09:17 PM
when i was a kid.....oh wait, im still a kid.

uawaterskier
05-07-2007, 09:19 PM
"When I was a kid gas was less than a dollar a gallon", I remember when your granfather got really pissed after it hit $1.00 per gallon, youda thought the world was ending. LOL

My dad used to pull the board with a nail and a rock for Christmas crap. Funny thing was it was true, they were pooooorr back then...

Best thread in a while MILK - good job

/refrains from slap to back of head
that wasnt that long ago. I remember gas being under a dollar

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Dammmit! I am a Generation Xer! We had it TUFF baby! we actually had to WALK to the arcade to play video games that cost a WHOLE QUARTER!!! THEN, we had to actually ride our motorbikes to the convienence store, and buy a microwavable junk burger. then haul it all the way home, and cook it in the microwave for an entire 5 minutes!!!! then we had to eat it while watching MTV!!!! Can you imagine that? and then we actually had to get a JOB to save up money to buy an Atari!

Man, we had it too easy.....:o :o

uawaterskier
05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Dammmit! I am a Generation Xer! We had it TUFF baby! we actually had to WALK to the arcade to play video games that cost a WHOLE QUARTER!!! THEN, we had to actually ride our motorbikes to the convienence store, and buy a microwavable junk burger. then haul it all the way home, and cook it in the microwave for an entire 5 minutes!!!! then we had to eat it while watching MTV!!!! Can you imagine that? and then we actually had to get a JOB to save up money to buy an Atari!

Man, we had it too easy.....:o :o
i think you just described my dad's childhood

Harvey
05-07-2007, 09:35 PM
You had a pile of dirt?

Yes, dirt poor means we had a pile of dirt to play with. It wasn't all we had, but a pile of dirt could provide a lot of fun. So could firecrackers but we didn't get those as often living in the city and all. :D

My parents use to literally kick us out of the house and tell us to go play. Can't do that anymore, a kid goes missing on his bike for a couple hours and the parents might have to start a search party.

LakePirate
05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
My parents used to tell me to go play on I-20 :confused:

milkmania
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
My parents use to literally kick us out of the house and tell us to go play. Can't do that anymore, a kid goes missing on his bike for a couple hours and the parents might have to start a search party.

we lived so far out.....

the UPS truck had to bring our fireworks:o

6ballsisall
05-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I can't wait to tell my 2 year old daughter this when she's older: "I was a kid BEFORE their was the internet!" :D

05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
My parents used to tell me to go play on I-20 :confused:
Did you get poisonous snakes as gifts too James? How bout sharp items?

jraben8
05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Here's your bat, ball, and glove... See you at dinner!!!

TonyB
05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
any of you ever pull a card?
When I was a kid we couldn't afford cards.

When I was a kid "I had to get up in the morning at 10 o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work 29 hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah."

Willski
05-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I just think I'm not that old at 34, but I remember hearing about a device that would allow you to record and watch tv shows later(from the 3 channels we had). That would be so cool...a year later my parents bought a Beta!

jmac197
05-08-2007, 02:35 PM
When I was a kid....

3 channels of tv
Cartoons on saturday AM only
Mom & Dad lived in the same house
The Elementary School Principal had a paddle on his wall and used it on occasion
paper route
mowing lawns for $$
Grand View Ave vs. Karlen Road football games
tennis ball cannons
capture the flag
you had to come in when the lamppost came on.

Harvey
05-08-2007, 02:57 PM
When I was a kid....

The Elementary School Principal had a paddle on his wall and used it on occasion - Check
mowing lawns for $$ - Check
tennis ball cannons Check, but we moved on to potato guns
capture the flag - Check
you had to come in when the lamppost came on. - Check

My mom use to tell us that if the lamp outside was on and we weren't home she was going to lock us out so we had to sleep outside for the night. She never actually did it but we feared she would.

djhuff
05-08-2007, 03:02 PM
When I was a kid....

you had to come in when the lamppost came on.
This used to cause arguements every night. In our neighborhood, they where photosensitive, and it was always "WHICH" light post came on.

"The one at Jimmy's isn't on yet"

Oh, and MTV played music videos.
I wonder how many kids these days could figure out how to get a nintendo game to work right (original NES that you had to wedge another game on top of the one you wanted to play).

mtnsun
05-08-2007, 03:15 PM
When I was a kid.... I always wanted to have a Master Craft ski boat! Ok that's funny.. I am still a kid! But atleast now I have one!

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
we lived so far out.....

the UPS truck had to bring our fireworks:o

We lived so far away from town, the mailman had to deliver air!:rolleyes: ;) :D

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 03:34 PM
When I was a kid, there were very few phones, so instead of calling in sick at work, they just sent a letter to the boss a week in advance.:cool: :rolleyes: :D If you died it was a whole nother story!

barefoot
05-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm thinking to myself these things are still fun!

05-08-2007, 03:56 PM
When I was a kid, we had to WORK to earn the money to buy hookers! We didnt have rich parents to mooch money off of to go to the cathouse....:rolleyes: Geez gosh! these kids today.....no ethics!:noface:

ski_king
05-08-2007, 04:01 PM
When I was a kid, the world seems so much simpler and slower paced.

Mark B
05-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I was allowed to watch one cartoon on saturday morning before having to do my chores. I soon found the Bugs Bunny/Road runner show (90 minutes long) became my favorite over the superfriends (60 min) on the other channel we got if you moved the bunny ears. Of course moving the bunny ears was not a big deal since you had to get up to change the channel anyway!

River Rat
05-08-2007, 04:24 PM
When I was a kid I had to stand out in the rain and turn the antenna to get better TV reception for DAD:(

When I was a kid I was the remote:(

When I was a kid Beer came in steel cans:rolleyes:

When I was a kid I had to be home before mom went to bed, or if I wanted to eat......Before supper

betsy&david Harrison
05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I tell my kids, when they fight over the groove tube, "when I was a kid I didn't have a TV, I listened to the radio!" This is true by the way, my dad finally built a HeathKit TV by himself when I was about 12 years old. First TV show was Emergency. Randolf Mantooth was the hottest thing I'd ever laid eyes on back then ...he he he he he

milkmania
05-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I actually found a pic of our television.....

a RCA XL 100

http://blujay.com/item/1974-RCA-TV-XL100-TELEVISION-SONNY-CHER-LG-COLOR-AD-7170000-1494566

milkmania
05-08-2007, 05:15 PM
I tell my kids, when they fight over the groove tube, "when I was a kid I didn't have a TV, I listened to the radio!" This is true by the way, my dad finally built a HeathKit TV by himself when I was about 12 years old. First TV show was Emergency. Randolf Mantooth was the hottest thing I'd ever laid eyes on back then ...he he he he he
I met Kevin Tighe & Randolph Mantooth on the set at Universal Studios!

here ya go, first season Emergency http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Season-One-Robert-Fuller/dp/B0009UC80G

betsy&david Harrison
05-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I met Kevin Tighe & Randolph Mantooth on the set at Universal Studios!

here ya go, first season Emergency http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Season-One-Robert-Fuller/dp/B0009UC80G
Oh the memories!! My heart beats for you!!!:D

milkmania
05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Oh the memories!! My heart beats for you!!!:D

oh get this!

I was born in that hospital!!!

The Harbor UCLA Medical Center served as Rampart Emergency Hospital in the series. The hospital is located in Torrance, California. 1000 West Carson Street.

emergency trivia: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068067/trivia

Maristar210
05-08-2007, 05:23 PM
that wasnt that long ago. I remember gas being under a dollar

Sure you do kid. I've got socks older than you :D

milkmania
05-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Sure you do kid. I've got socks older than you :D

you know the part that sucks about this?????

milkmania
07-23-2007, 12:45 AM
you know the part that sucks about this?????

I don't remember what I was going to say:o

tex
07-23-2007, 01:35 AM
I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to be when I grew up!

Leroy
07-23-2007, 01:51 AM
And now that you have grown up what do you want to be?

I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to be when I grew up!

kingu
07-23-2007, 10:17 AM

young again!:D

03 35th Anniversary
07-23-2007, 10:25 AM
A smart mouth 10 year old. :D There seams to be plenty of them running around, it must be a trend.

tex
07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
I was thinking of running off and joining the Circus!

Maristar210
07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
When I was 12 I wanted to tap the babysitter who was 17 :D

BriEOD
07-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Hopefully you have grown out of that Steve...can you say prison?8p

Maristar210
07-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Hopefully you have grown out of that Steve...can you say prison?8p

Yes Brian I have. I was just making light of the thread. I must say they build them a little different these days though wouldn't you agree :D

BriEOD
07-23-2007, 05:42 PM
I prefer not to comment!8p

Workin' 4 Toys
07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
I asked one of the kids just the other day if they knew what a rotary dial phone was....:o I remember when we had to pay an additional fee to get the touch tone....So even when we upgraded the phones...We had to set the switch on the back to rotary dial.:cool: Love'd that sound... Oh and the ringers, love'd em.

Atari was for the rich kids, We had Pong.:D

Slinkyredfoot
07-23-2007, 09:55 PM
When I was a kid I had a 10ft duck boat with a 12 HP Montgomery Ward outboard....I loved that boat. A buddy had an 18 Evinrude, we would stick that motor on, set it to the highest pin notch and bounce around he entire lake....memories...

O2BESOHUGE
07-24-2007, 11:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**we Got Up And Went Outside To Play And Had To Be Home When It Got Dark

**we Drank Out Of The Hose On The Side Of The House When We Got Thirsty

**we Played Footbal, Kickball, Dodgeball, Baseball, Rode Bikes, Walked Or Ran Everywhere, Rode Skateboards, Etc...all Physical Exercise

**i Didnt Wear A Helmet When Rode My Bike...i Wrecked And Got Scraped Up. Simple As That. You Lived And Learned.

**mom Said "in Or Out" You Go Out, You Stay Out For The Day In The Summer

**i Cut Grass For Extra Money

**i Had To Cut My Own Yard For Free Because I Lived There

**my Dad Bought Me A $200 Blown Up Datsun 260 Z Car When I Was 15 And We Worked On It Till I Turned 16. After That Whatever I Wanted To Drive I Had To Buy Myself

**i Had To Eat Wht My Mom Fixed For Dinner. No Questions Asked. Tough If You Didnt Like It, Nothing Else Till The Next Meal If You Didnt Eat It.

**if I Did Wrong In School Or Anything That Deserved A Whipping...my Mom Tore Me Up. Then When Dad Got Home And Mom Told Him About It - He Tore Me Up. They Didnt "spare The Rod And Spoil The Child" Believe Me! You Did What Was Expected Of You

Bruce
07-24-2007, 06:49 PM
At age 74 all of the previous postings plus some. Stars hung in windows to show relative in service. Black out curtains, air raid drills, ration books etc etc. Aw the good ole days. However, in jr. high I got to ski behind my friends (dads) 21 ft. Century Coranado every week. Also ran "shine" down the mt. from Tuxedo, N. C. to Greenville S.C.( No headlights). Good money for a kid with big b---s and no brains. (Statute of limitations applies here I hope)

Slinkyredfoot
07-24-2007, 07:14 PM
When I was a kid, not only did we ski 10 to 12 times a day, we had the old tractor tubes that had the great big metal valve stems, remember those? ... would get gouged mecifully, and still go on tubing.

TX.X-30 fan
07-24-2007, 08:08 PM
When I was a kid, not only did we ski 10 to 12 times a day, we had the old tractor tubes that had the great big metal valve stems, remember those? ... would get gouged mecifully, and still go on tubing.

I think your supposed to turn the valve down. :confused: :D

Slinkyredfoot
07-24-2007, 08:42 PM

I was refering to the begineers, the old pros, us, being 12 years old always got a kick out how long it took others to figures this out...

07-24-2007, 09:02 PM
I realize each generation sees this from its own persective only, but our society really is changing fast. when I look at the change my grandparents saw, and my parents saw, and how fast its changing now, its nuts. just crazy how fast our world is changing and things are forgotten. really weird......

Slinkyredfoot
07-24-2007, 10:01 PM
I realize each generation sees this from its own persective only, but our society really is changing fast. when I look at the change my grandparents saw, and my parents saw, and how fast its changing now, its nuts. just crazy how fast our world is changing and things are forgotten. really weird......

Hey Ump, this is in around about way is the definiton of memories...yea it is weird how things have changed but we can only embrace our past and you know what, when I think of my past, well it always puts a smile on my face, dontchaknow...

Toober Tom
07-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Ok, now you tell me.........:mad: :confused:

Slinkyredfoot
07-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Ok, now you tell me.........:mad: :confused:

must be a begineer, this is the only excuse.....

SNOOTYSKIER
07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
must be a begineer, this is the only excuse.....
Toober is a total Rookie. Dont let him fool you with that fancy avatar.

Slinkyredfoot
07-24-2007, 10:33 PM
yea his avatar pretty much says all I need to know about this guy ....what a Rookie....see that steel stem is sticking straight up, he never figured it out did he???

suedv
07-24-2007, 10:42 PM
*My mother mixed powdered milk in with regular milk and made us drink it
*I worked at McDonalds and we mixed milk shakes on spindles
*I took a manual typewriter to college
*No microwaves... we heated things up on the stove
*Our TV broke when I was in 4th grade and my parents didn't replace it for 3 years I learned to LOVE to read books
*cameras with flash cubes or flash bars
*stingray bikes and banana seats
*Easy bake ovens, GI Joes, hot wheel cars
*black and white film was the in thing to use. I learned to develop pictures in middle school
*station wagons with rear facing seats
*no seat belts
*party line telephones
*operators dialed long distance calls and my parents freaked out if I talked more than about 3 minutes because the long distance calls were expensive
*you rented the phone from the phone company
*dumping quarters in pay phones from college or making collect calls because there weren't phone cards or cell phones
*Kiss, Bob Segar, Boston, Bochman Turner Overdrive, Queen, Alice Cooper, Elton John, Bob Denver, Olivia Newton John
*K-Mart blue light specials and those terrible sandwiches K-Mart sold
*I had to clean my room every Saturday and I shoved everything under my bed, in the closet or stuffed all the clothes on my floor down the clothes schute... then my mom would come and stand in my room and make me clean it right

Slinkyredfoot
07-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey Sue, you got it all rght except the musicians....

Willski
07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
*My mother mixed powdered milk in with regular milk and made us drink it
*I worked at McDonalds and we mixed milk shakes on spindles
*I took a manual typewriter to college
*No microwaves... we heated things up on the stove
*Our TV broke when I was in 4th grade and my parents didn't replace it for 3 years I learned to LOVE to read books
*cameras with flash cubes or flash bars
*stingray bikes and banana seats
*Easy bake ovens, GI Joes, hot wheel cars
*black and white film was the in thing to use. I learned to develop pictures in middle school
*station wagons with rear facing seats
*no seat belts
*party line telephones
*operators dialed long distance calls and my parents freaked out if I talked more than about 3 minutes because the long distance calls were expensive
*you rented the phone from the phone company
*dumping quarters in pay phones from college or making collect calls because there weren't phone cards or cell phones
*Kiss, Bob Segar, Boston, Bochman Turner Overdrive, Queen, Alice Cooper, Elton John, Bob Denver, Olivia Newton John
*K-Mart blue light specials and those terrible sandwiches K-Mart sold
*I had to clean my room every Saturday and I shoved everything under my bed, in the closet or stuffed all the clothes on my floor down the clothes schute... then my mom would come and stand in my room and make me clean it right

Does it make me old if I remember alot of the same things? I think the cell phone and the VCR (now DVD recorder or TIVO) are some of the most life changing things that have come about (or at least pretty much a given) in the last 25 years. I remember also the renting the phone. Some of my relatives in Arkansas actually had a party line when I was growing up. Everybody know what that is?

kingu
07-24-2007, 11:43 PM
I can remember having a choice of three channels. One of the three didn't come in at all. That Christmas the "Frosty the Snowman" special came on the channel we didn't get. I thought my life was over! :cry:

Leroy
07-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Those are all great and we had an 8 party line growing up! With that many someone was on there all the time and you had to ask people to get off to use the phone.

When I was a kid we knew all of our neighbors......in at least a mile circle....

*party line telephones

mccobmd
07-25-2007, 12:26 AM
When I was a kid the ski's were wood, tubes were in tires and there were no Jet Ski's, but then again there wasn't an X1 and Liquid Force Team 143.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-25-2007, 01:08 AM
When I was a kid the ski's were wood, tubes were in tires and there were no Jet Ski's, but then again there wasn't an X1 and Liquid Force Team 143.
I wish I remembered the name of the thing, but I recall a "jet ski" that was a wooden platform, and you stood on it, and if I recall, the thottle was on a rope.
I think I recall the engine being in the back and you stood in front of it. It was tough to drive.

fintek9
07-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Sues right on, "pong" was it. got up, milked the cows- went to school-
came home-did chores- milked the cows had dinner, did chores- then played as we did chores. weekends we did not sleep till 11:00 or 12:00
let alone on summer vacation .. OMG .. don't want to get in to it....
Yea things have sure changed....

milkmania
07-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Some of my relatives in Arkansas actually had a party line when I was growing up. Everybody know what that is?

when I moved to my current location 16 years ago........

we were on a two line party line:rolleyes:

redmike
07-25-2007, 02:36 AM
Wow, memories....I remember
being able to eat the candy you got from trick or treat without it being inspected....
Dirt piles!!!!construction site just piled that dirt for us to jump on our bikes!
street lights meant gotta go
Something about respecting the adults? or am I just crazy on that one?

redmike
07-25-2007, 02:36 AM
being able to eat the candy you got from trick or treat without it being inspected....
Dirt piles!!!!construction site just piled that dirt for us to jump on our bikes!

suedv
07-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Here are some more thing
*platform shoes
*bell bottom jeans
*When things like a TV or Radio broke you took it to a repair shop instead of throwing it away and getting a new one
*They had machines in stores like K-Mart of Sears that you could plug your TV tubes in and test them when something broke
*Fuse box instead of breaker box
*The Partridge Family and the Brady Bunch on TV. I thought David Cassidy was HOT and I had is poster on my bedroom wall :o
* I was big into climbing trees for something to do
*You didn't have all kinds of sports and activities you rushed off to in the summer. You played outside because it was too hot in the house.
*I never heard of bagels until high shcool
*meat loaf, liver and onions... stuff people don't cook too often today
*black plastic framed glasses
*guys with silky shirts and leasure suits 8p
*candy dots, foot long bubble gum, penny candy

03 35th Anniversary
07-25-2007, 09:11 AM
*meat loaf, liver and onions... stuff people don't cook too often today

Thank God For That Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing good ever came out of making that stuff for dinner.

chudson
07-25-2007, 09:13 AM
I can still smell liver and onions cooking in my Moms kitchen, not a missed memory!!!

chudson
07-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Also used to ride my bike to the grain elevator 2.5 miles away ( the local gathering place ) to get a bottle of pop and some peanuts. We had no pop at home so that was a real treat. The pop machine you would slide a door open on the top of the machine put your money in and slide your pop out of a slot the bottle was in, and the bottle was sitting in cold water!!! I have that same machine I'll try and post a picture of it!!!

03 35th Anniversary
07-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Also used to ride my bike to the grain elevator 2.5 miles away ( the local gathering place ) to get a bottle of pop and some peanuts. We had no pop at home so that was a real treat. The pop machine you would slide a door open on the top of the machine put your money in and slide your pop out of a slot the bottle was in, and the bottle was sitting in cold water!!! I have that same machine I'll try and post a picture of it!!!
I know what your talkin about there....My grandparents lived in Kansas when I was a kid, and my cousins and I used to do the samething when we would visit in the summer time............

07-25-2007, 09:40 AM
DIRT PILES! man, I forgot about dirt piles! they were like finding a pot of gold for a 5 to 10 year old kid. you played trucks in them, rode bikes on them, and yes, made bicycle jumps on them! I remember getting banged up good by crashing on bike jumps! lots of cuts, scrapes, bruises, aches, pains. what the he11 was I thinking?????? :confused: Good times though!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-25-2007, 09:50 AM
hUMP, you were a "breakdancer" too weren't you??

07-25-2007, 09:55 AM
hUMP, you were a "breakdancer" too weren't you??
When I was a kid, we didnt have bathroom heater lamp/fans. if we wanted to be warm we had to wear long underwear in the shower!

Oh yea, I was a breakdancin' fool. I did it all, the robot, the worm, the snake, I was rad, bichin', totally gnarly.....8p

07-25-2007, 09:57 AM
I miss those old soda pop machines! I remember several variations of that type, and the other chest type machines too. great memories! those are too cool!! please post a picture of it!!!!! :popcorn:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
When I was a kid, we didnt have bathroom heater lamp/fans. if we wanted to be warm we had to wear long underwear in the shower!

Oh yea, I was a breakdancin' fool. I did it all, the robot, the worm, the snake, I was rad, bichin', totally gnarly.....8p
My wife and I went to see Cirque Shanghai (http://www.navypier.com/cirqueshanghai/index.html) last week. And at one point one of the performers did this "dance", I said to my wife he's breakdancing, welcome to the 80's...:rolleyes: She laughed and said she was thinking the same thing.

Oh, and since you were the side show act, you'd recall the movie. Breakin II electric boogaloo.... (Why I just remembered that name is beyond me:o )

07-25-2007, 10:21 AM
My wife and I went to see Cirque Shanghai (http://www.navypier.com/cirqueshanghai/index.html) last week. And at one point one of the performers did this "dance", I said to my wife he's breakdancing, welcome to the 80's...:rolleyes: She laughed and said she was thinking the same thing.

Oh, and since you were the side show act, you'd recall the movie. Breakin II electric boogaloo.... (Why I just remembered that name is beyond me:o ) Electric boogaloo, dude, your giving me bad flashbacks! I vaguely remember that movie. werent they trying to raise money to save a school or neighborhood by breakdancing or something?? Cuz I mean, if I was trying to raise money to save something, breakdancing is the way I would do it. :rolleyes: :uglyhamme

Hey, it all goes back to what my rocket scientist friend says, "behind every stupid decision, bad movie, crappy musician, failed marketing scheme, there is some high paid executive in an expensive suit in a fancy boardroom somewhere saying, 'I like it, go with it'. "

suedv
07-25-2007, 10:44 AM
I can still smell liver and onions cooking in my Moms kitchen, not a missed memory!!!

My mom's liver and onions was probably 100 times worse than trying to eat rubber and onions. It was impossible to chew.

A couple of weeks ago my doctor told me to eat foods that are high in vitamin B12 because I'm deficient in that and very anemic. I ate some liver and cringed with every bite. I hate liver!

Maybe I'm still in the hospital because of the curse of liver. 8p

I want to go home Sooooooooooooooooo bad. I'm tired of being tired and being on oxygen!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Electric boogaloo, dude, your giving me bad flashbacks! I vaguely remember that movie. werent they trying to raise money to save a school or neighborhood by breakdancing or something?? Cuz I mean, if I was trying to raise money to save something, breakdancing is the way I would do it. :rolleyes: :uglyhamme

Hey, it all goes back to what my rocket scientist friend says, "behind every stupid decision, bad movie, crappy musician, failed marketing scheme, there is some high paid executive in an expensive suit in a fancy boardroom somewhere saying, 'I like it, go with it'. "
I am not sure why, but for some reason I see the remake in our future.. And the cast would be the wayans brothers. Not sure why I see it that way.

The scene I remember from the movie was the christmas carol remake, and for some reason I can picture the guys heads, arms, and feet sticking through a wall while singing it.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-25-2007, 03:29 PM
My mom's liver and onions was probably 100 times worse than trying to eat rubber and onions. It was impossible to chew.

A couple of weeks ago my doctor told me to eat foods that are high in vitamin B12 because I'm deficient in that and very anemic. I ate some liver and cringed with every bite. I hate liver!

Maybe I'm still in the hospital because of the curse of liver. 8p

I want to go home Sooooooooooooooooo bad. I'm tired of being tired and being on oxygen!
I believe oscar meyer makes some liver in a tube available at the grocery store. We used to eat that (I think Im gonna puke now:o ). I haven't had it I don't know how many years, but I'd guess I could smell it a mile away.

Don
07-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Growing-up.....no TV, only radio stations like "The Lone Ranger" and The Shadow". First TV in the neighborhood around 1948....came on around 4 in the afternoon and off around 10 at night. My daughter can't imagine that life and probably doesn't believe me when I tell her.

We drank water out of the garden hose. We bought Coke for a dime and got three cents back on the bottle. Milk was delivered to the house on a truck with blocks of ice. Later in life there were White Castle Burgers....5 for a dollar. Gas was still $.24....pass the hat to collect change and cruise all night for a dollar. In the Southeast, around Miami, I was Navy.....drive-in movies and restaurants were popular.....but there the local bee-bop radio station had a broadcast booth on top of the restaurant taking dedications for the girls in the red what ever car....and drive-in movies had twist contests during intermission.

The days of stick ball, kick the can, and hide and seek are over.....what I wonder is what life will be like 50 or 100 years from now? We will either be transporting physically and mentally in the blink of an eye or living in caves again. :rolleyes:

07-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Growing-up.....no TV, only radio stations like "The Lone Ranger" and The Shadow". First TV in the neighborhood around 1948....came on around 4 in the afternoon and off around 10 at night. My daughter can't imagine that life and probably doesn't believe me when I tell her.

We drank water out of the garden hose. We bought Coke for a dime and got three cents back on the bottle. Milk was delivered to the house on a truck with blocks of ice. Later in life there were White Castle Burgers....5 for a dollar. Gas was still $.24....pass the hat to collect change and cruise all night for a dollar. In the Southeast, around Miami, I was Navy.....drive-in movies and restaurants were popular.....but there the local bee-bop radio station had a broadcast booth on top of the restaurant taking dedications for the girls in the red what ever car....and drive-in movies had twist contests during intermission.

The days of stick ball, kick the can, and hide and seek are over.....what I wonder is what life will be like 50 or 100 years from now? We will either be transporting physically and mentally in the blink of an eye or living in caves again. :rolleyes: Scary.....aint it? sometimes I wonder the same thing. I think things are changing faster than we as a society can handle. :confused:

chudson
07-26-2007, 01:27 PM
We drank water out of the garden hose. We bought Coke for a dime and got three cents back on the bottle. Milk was delivered to the house on a truck with blocks of ice.

I still have the milk box that our milkman put our milk in and it's outside my front door.;)

07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
When I was a kid, Hoosier Bob was cool.

Rapunzl
07-26-2007, 06:05 PM
When I was a kid, I really did have to walk through the snow and up a hill to school! I also remember being able to walk into any neighbor's house without knocking first...everyone left their doors open. And we went trick-or-treating unsupervised.

I remember just black-and-white on television and when "The Wizard of Oz" came out, it was amazing to watch.

And...I remember walking home from school, taking a detour in the neighborhood forest to pick wild raspberries and blueberries and coming home totally sick from eating so many. We had a swamp across the street and we used to go play in it, catching polywogs and frogs and breaking open cattails...guess that's where my love of bugs and reptiles came from!~

Yup...that dates me a bit.

tex
07-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm still waiting on flying cars...where are the flying cars?

chudson
07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm still waiting on flying cars...where are the flying cars?

Moller's latest design, the Skycar M400, is designed to take off and land vertically, like a Harrier Jet, in small spaces. It can reach speeds of 400 mph (644 kph), but will cruise at around 350 mph (563 kph), and it has a range of 900 miles (1449 km). Gasoline, diesel, alcohol, kerosene and propane can be used to fuel the Skycar, and its fuel mileage will be comparable to that of a medium-sized car, getting 20 miles (32.2 km) to the gallon. The initial cost of a Skycar will be about $1 million, but once it begins to be mass produced that price could come down to as low as $60,000.
Photo courtesy Moller International
The Skycar will be operated completely by computer and guided by GPS satellites.

The four-seat Skycar is powered by eight rotary engines that are housed inside four metal housings, called nacelles, on the side of the vehicle. There are two engines in each nacelle so that if one of the engines in one of the nacelle fails, the other engine can sustain flight. The engines lift the craft with 720 horsepower, and then thrust the craft forward. The Wankel engine replaces pistons of a conventional engine with a single triangular rotor spinning inside an oval-shaped chamber, which creates compression and expansion as the rotor turns. There are three combustion chambers in the Wankel, with a crankshaft between them.

To make the Skycar safe and available to the general public, it will be completely controlled by computers using Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites, which Moller calls a fly-by-wire system. In case of an accident, the vehicle will release a parachute and airbags, internally and externally, to cushion the impact of the crash.

MACRO Industries' SkyRider X2R will also use this fly-by-wire system to safely transport passengers to their desired destinations. Drivers will simply get in, turn on the power and enter the address or phone number of their destination. SkyRider will do the rest. MACRO said that the system will be almost fully automatic, but may allow some manual control. Commands will be entered just by telling the car what you want it to do.

According to their Web site, MACRO is shooting to have a working vehicle produced sometime in 2006. The company is planning to power the vehicle with an enhanced automobile engine to drive four-ducted fans. The unique feature of the SkyRider will be the company's patented rotary cartridge valve, which is expected to increase fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

The CityHawk is similar to the Skycar and SkyRider in that it also takes off and lands vertically. However, there are some key differences. The CityHawk will be powered by fans that are driven by four internal combustion engines. Much like in the Skycar, this redundancy of engines will allow the vehicle to land even if one of the engines is lost. The CityHawk is about the size of a Chevy Surburban, and will have cruising speeds of 90 to 100 miles per hour (145 to 161 kph). CityHawk developers say that it could be used as an air taxi, for news gathering and for traffic control.

The mass availability of flying cars could be very exciting or very scary, depending on how you look at it. If proper safeguards are put in place, they could be the answer to our ever-worsening traffic jams. Flying cars that can travel at hundreds of miles per hour would not only cut that rush hour commute to a few minutes, but it would allow us to live hundreds of miles farther from work and still make it to the office faster than by road-bound cars today.