PDA

View Full Version : not good

rodltg2
05-07-2007, 05:28 PM
SONOMA CO.: UPDATE: MAN KILLED IN BOAT'S PROPELLER ON LAKE SONOMA
05/06/07 7:55 PDT

A man got caught in the propeller of a boat and died this afternoon on Lake Sonoma and a Petaluma man is in jail on suspicion of boating under the influence of alcohol, according to a statement from the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department.

Another boater flagged a sheriff's patrol boat around 3:44 p.m. and told authorities of a possible boating accident on the Warm Springs arm of Lake Sonoma near Jet Ski cove.

Deputies there found a man stuck in the propeller of a MasterCraft ski boat. The man was pronounced dead at the scene and his identity is not being released pending the notification of his family.

According to the sheriff's department, it appears that the man was a passenger in the boat and had been sitting on the rear deck near the propellers while the boat was backing just before the incident occurred.

The driver of the boat, 25-year-old Will Dawson, was booked into Sonoma County Jail on suspicion of boating under the influence of alcohol.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact the Lake Sonoma Marine Unit at (707) 433-0728.

uawaterskier
05-07-2007, 05:30 PM
not good at all

Archimedes
05-07-2007, 05:32 PM
From what they said on the news, it sounded like he was sitting on the platform dangling his legs while the boat was in reverse. So you know it was death by either alcohol or Darwin.

BrianM
05-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Gives whole new meaning to the 'Deathstar' that other towboat owners like to throw at us now doesn't it? Sorry someone had to find a little humor here.

ProTour X9
05-07-2007, 06:21 PM
It was stupidity by both of those people.

Maristar210
05-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Cleanin up the gene pool one idiot at a time

M-Funf
05-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Very sad...
I heard this on the news last night. I still haven't called the people I know who were up there from Petaluma Sunday...I really don't want to know if it was one of them :mad:

Edit: More information and names released...I don't know either of the people involved...thank God...

One strange note in this. They said the boat was backing up near Rattlesnake Island, which I believe is on Clear Lake, not Lake Sonoma :confused: :confused:

========================================
The operator of a boat involved in what investigators say was an alcohol-related fatal incident this weekend on Lake Sonoma has a history of drunken driving, according to court records.

Will Dawson, 25, of Petaluma was arrested on suspicion of felony drunken driving in a boat after one of his passengers was killed Sunday when he fell off the stern and was struck by the propeller, Sonoma County sheriff’s detectives said.

The passenger was identified this morning as Mark Spier, 51, of Orland in Glenn County. His body was trapped under the boat and had to be cut free.

Dawson has two prior alcohol-related criminal cases in Sonoma County, including one from February that is pending, according to court records.

In 2000, Dawson pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of drunken driving. He was sentenced to three years’ probation and first-offender’s drunken driving school.

In February, Dawson was arrested and charged with misdemeanor drunken driving and an enhancement for a high blood-alcohol level. The charges don’t specify what his blood-alcohol level was.

Dawson has pleaded not guilty to those charges and is set to return to court on Thursday for a potential change of plea, according to court records.

In the Lake Sonoma incident, Dawson was released on bail and is set to appear in court on May 24. He is charged with one felony and three misdemeanors.

A second passenger, Eric Brandon, 26, also was arrested on suspicion of being under the influence.

Spier apparently was sitting on the rear deck of the boat and fell out as the boat was backing up near Rattlesnake Island, deputies said.

rodltg2
05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
even if he hadnt been involved in the death, he be doing some time. 3 DUI's not good.

M-Funf
05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
even if he hadnt been involved in the death, he be doing some time. 3 DUI's not good.

Probably, especially with the "enhancements" on the DUI. That said, this one was a Felony DUI because of the death. Hell, he hadn't even been sentenced for his second DUI.

uawaterskier
05-07-2007, 08:16 PM
"A second passenger, Eric Brandon, 26, also was arrested on suspicion of being under the influence."

Why did he go to jail?

ttu
05-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Probably, especially with the "enhancements" on the DUI. That said, this one was a Felony DUI because of the death. Hell, he hadn't even been sentenced for his second DUI.

funk, hope this is not a stupid question, but what is "enhancement"??on the dui charge.:confused:

Maristar210
05-07-2007, 08:33 PM
I like to drink.

I am drinking right now.

But.... the boat is parked next to me.....

uawaterskier
05-07-2007, 08:34 PM
I like to drink.

I am drinking right now.

But.... the boat is parked next to me.....
i agree 100% but i dont understand why the passenger went to jail. Its one thing to be the operator of the boat and have been drinking, but is there a law about the passengers?:confused:

Maristar210
05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
i agree 100% but i dont understand why the passenger went to jail. Its one thing to be the operator of the boat and have been drinking, but is there a law about the passengers?:confused:

Justin,

Could be a number of citations. Public intoxication. Obstruction. Disorderly Conduct. Intefereing with a police investigtion. Possession of any number of items such as dope or dope perphinilia.

You have to be there to be sure you know whats going on.

ProTour X9
05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Here's the main thing: what was he thinking sitting on the platform while the boat was in reverse?

sdlaura1
05-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Man, I like to have a beer as much as the next guy, but it's a rare I crack open a cold one on the boat. The main reason is I CAN'T ski when I have a beer or 2. My friends have a few and that's fine with me, I just wait till the boats parked for the night. Then it's tequila shooters and jagermeister all around....

milkmania
05-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Here's the main thing: what was he thinking sitting on the platform while the boat was in reverse?
with alcohol evidently involved, who's to say Spier wasn't sitting on the platform when Dawson started the boat?

or what if Spier slipped into the water to take a whizz, Dawson started the boat and backed into him

just a thought

millions of possibilities!
the only ones that truly know the facts are the ones that were there:(

milkmania
05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Man, I like to have a beer as much as the next guy, but it's a rare I crack open a cold one on the boat. The main reason is I CAN'T ski when I have a beer or 2. My friends have a few and that's fine with me, I just wait till the boats parked for the night. Then it's tequila shooters and jagermeister all around....

I don't do much beer.....
maybe a Corona once in a while

now, Tequila......
that's a different story:o
got into a Jose shot contest with a neighboring camper.....
found out the next morning, she crawled back to here campsite, and passed out on the ground
her buddies covered her up at least

now Captain & Coke....
that's a different story:o

now, Crown & Coke....

see the pattern?
:confused:

rodltg2
05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
funk, hope this is not a stupid question, but what is "enhancement"??on the dui charge.:confused:

i dotn know the percentagei think .18 or somehthing, but an enhanced dui charge means you are really tanked. with that comes stiffer fines and such

ttu
05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
i dotn know the percentagei think 1.8 or somehthing, but an enhanced dui charge means you are really tanked. with that comes stiffer fines and such

thanks rod. i was thinking could it possibly be because maybe they were using some type of drug that could cause the effects of the alcohol to intensify.

also in re: to the other indiv. arrested, there could be a chance he had something to do with accidental death, such as horse play ie. pushing the person off the platform.

db

milkmania
05-07-2007, 09:42 PM
heck, he could evenhave been arrested for hampering the investigation......

what if they told one story, then the true facts started surfacing?

WESSTAR
05-07-2007, 11:05 PM
In the past 10 years in the Coast Guard I have seen this kind of thing too many times. Needless lives destroyed for no reason. Also the driver kinda had a pattern going on there.

M-Funf
05-08-2007, 11:18 AM

DUI with Enhancements means that your BAC (blood alcohol level) was very high. A BAC of .08 results in arrest for DUI. "very high" means a BAC over .15 (or .14 depending on who you ask). As a comparison, a BAC of .40 most likely causes death, and a BAC of .30 most likely results in either "drunken stupor" or coma.

:(

Edit: For what it's worth, a first offense DUI comes with 4 month license suspension (with a restricted license after 30 days), a fine of about $1,200, possible jail time of 48 hours (usually "time served"), a 4 month DUI class (32 hours), and sometimes public service (picking up trash or cleaning buses). A first offense with "enhancements" increases the suspension to 9 months (restricted after 4 months), fines up to $3k or so, jail time (unlikely) and DUI class for 9 months (74 hours), and public service. Second and third offense DUI's yield stiffer fines, almost mandatory jail time, and more service. The fourth offense is automatically a Felony.

Willski
05-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I enjoy a few beers on the boat, but it seems a few people are going to ruin that priveledge for everyone.

M-Funf
05-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I enjoy a few beers on the boat, but it seems a few people are going to ruin that priveledge for everyone.

I agree. With the number of boats increasing on the water, it's only a matter of time before a boat is treated just like a car.

I predict that within the next two years, boat owners will be required to get an operators license, pass a written and on-the-water test, pass a trailering test, and be subject to all the same laws that motor vehicles are subject to.

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 11:50 AM
It's a shame the lobbying/marches/laws/ordinances/codes/taxes/enforcement/etc. that has been enacted against tobacco hasn't been applied to alcohol too.:twocents:

Hollywood
05-08-2007, 03:14 PM
With the number of boats increasing on the water, it's only a matter of time before a boat is treated just like a car.

Isn't it already?

M-Funf
05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Isn't it already?

Not really. There's no written or practical exam you have to take to get a boat, no licensing of boat operators, and there are no open container laws. There are DUI consequences, but nothing prevents the driver from having an open container...

I realize that the open container issue is a problem. How far do you take it? Does it apply to ALL vessels, or just non-commercial vessels (pleasure craft)? Are no open containers allowed, or do you just limit it to the driver not having an open contaner?

shepherd
05-08-2007, 03:39 PM
It's a shame the lobbying/marches/laws/ordinances/codes/taxes/enforcement/etc. that has been enacted against tobacco hasn't been applied to alcohol too.:twocents:

That's been tried before, back in the 20s I think. Didn't work out too good (except for the gangsters).

milkmania
05-08-2007, 03:48 PM
wonder which model of MC it was????

found this image on a member's website:

note: if that member wants me to withdraw it, send me a pm;)

TRBenj
05-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Not really. There's no written or practical exam you have to take to get a boat, no licensing of boat operators

That varies from state to state. I know that Connecticut and New Hampshire require boating licenses.

JKTX21
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Y'all be safe out there. Seems like a few every year get hurt really bad or worse around here.

Jwhitsett1129
05-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I agree. With the number of boats increasing on the water, it's only a matter of time before a boat is treated just like a car.

I predict that within the next two years, boat owners will be required to get an operators license, pass a written and on-the-water test, pass a trailering test, and be subject to all the same laws that motor vehicles are subject to.

It may be a bit inconvenient, but do you really think this is a bad idea? After what I have seen people do behind the wheel of twin 454's and the likes around here I think there should definitely some testing involved. Might get rid of a lot of the wallys out there who shouldn't even legally be allowed to operate a canoe.

rodltg2
05-08-2007, 05:29 PM
i wouldnt mind the inconvenience, what i will mind is the added cost. to administer these tests will cost money and guess who will have to pay for that.

M-Funf
05-08-2007, 05:30 PM
It may be a bit inconvenient, but do you really think this is a bad idea? After what I have seen people do behind the wheel of twin 454's and the likes around here I think there should definitely some testing involved. Might get rid of a lot of the wallys out there who shouldn't even legally be allowed to operate a canoe.

NO. Conversely, I think it's a GREAT idea...it's just taking too dang long to implement...
Having a Drivers License is a Privilege, not a right. It should be the same for a Boating License.

uawaterskier
05-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Alabama has a written test, you must be 12 years of age in order to take it lol

TonyB
05-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Alabama has a written test, you must be 12 years of age in order to take it lol

Yes it does. But a 12 year old can only operate a vessel under the supervision of a vessel licensed adult.

I grew up on the shores of Shoals Creek in North Alabama and back then, at the age of 9-10, I thought nothing of jumping in our flat bottom fishing boat and cruising the river.

I'm looking forward to next year when my son can pull me skiing. Some days, licensed drivers are hard to come by.

MasterCrafting
05-08-2007, 06:36 PM
That's really not good.

Honestly though...thats hard to do with an inboard.

rstitson
05-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I was told you have to be 18 in vermont unless you take some special type of class. Not that way when I grew up. You won't stop the yahoo's from driving dangerously as they will get their license anyway.

TX.X-30 fan
05-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I would hate to see them outlaw alcohol for everyone on the boat. That's using a sledge hammer for a finish nail. Government cant legislate responsibility, Texas made it illegal for me to drink a beer on the way home from work. Guy's having a beer on the way home from work was never the problem. This law had no effect on the alcoholic that was sitting in the bar all day and drives home at midnight. This guy that backed over the DA in Cali I'm guessing knew what the law was? :confused: I find it hard to believe that everyone seems so ready to let Big Brother micro manage all parts of our lives???? No matter what law they pass I will have a cold beer on my boat in the back of some cove, just as I do after a hot day at work on my way home. :steering: :wavey:

M-Funf
05-08-2007, 07:25 PM
You won't stop the yahoo's from driving dangerously as they will get their license anyway.

But that same logic applies to cars, too, right?

beatle78
05-08-2007, 07:41 PM
In Rhode Island, if you were born after 1986, you have to pass a boating test to operate any motorized vessel. Everyone regardless of age has to pass a boating exam to operate a PWC (I love the PWC law b/c every idiot thinks he can drive one)

ProTour X9
05-08-2007, 07:45 PM
In Rhode Island, if you were born after 1986, you have to pass a boating test to operate any motorized vessel. Everyone regardless of age has to pass a boating exam to operate a PWC (I love the PWC law b/c every idiot thinks he can drive one)

Seems like 90% of PWC drivers ARE idiots:noface:

dmayer84
05-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Seems like 90% of PWC drivers ARE idiots:noface:

A few summers ago watched a pwc go bow first right into a dock goin fast. Luckily no one got injured. Asked the person driving what happened, "I dont know the steering went out"

They didnt know that they needed throttle to steer.:rant:

ProTour X9
05-08-2007, 08:27 PM
I have too many stories about waverunners.

uawaterskier
05-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes it does. But a 12 year old can only operate a vessel under the supervision of a vessel licensed adult.

I grew up on the shores of Shoals Creek in North Alabama and back then, at the age of 9-10, I thought nothing of jumping in our flat bottom fishing boat and cruising the river.

I'm looking forward to next year when my son can pull me skiing. Some days, licensed drivers are hard to come by.
im from north alabama...ill gladly go out with you