PDA

View Full Version : iTunes

milkmania
05-07-2007, 04:51 PM
got an tips & tricks?

my library is so screwed up:rant:

I have a "MasterMix" folder on the desktop, I set iTunes to use that folder in preferences....

how do I refresh iTunes?
if iTunes is running, and I dump an mp3 into that folder, I have to close, then re-open iTunes:rolleyes:

the software is goofy:twocents:

milkmania
05-07-2007, 04:54 PM
oh yeah.....
stay away from that danged sync button!!!http://www.freewebby.com/angry-smilies/banghead.gif

TX.X-30 fan
05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Wife just got a nano for the boat so I have just started. :mad:

Edit: what I mean is if you are having problems I'm in deeeeeeeeeeeep doooooooooooo. 8p

milkmania
05-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Wife just got a nano for the boat so I have just started. :mad:

see post #2:D

;)

TX.X-30 fan
05-07-2007, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=milkmania]see post #2:D

It chastised me for choosing to manually manipulate my songs so I said ok sync. :noface: :cry: :o ..............

milkmania
05-07-2007, 05:10 PM
found this:

Windows XP kindly provides a shared folder that already includes a directory called Shared Music (find it under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents). The easiest thing to do is to copy all the music on your computer into this folder so that all users can access it. Then the lucky owner of the new iPod can pick and choose what music to include in his or her iTunes Library. From the new account, in iTunes, click File > Add Folder To Library, and copy over whatever music you want (make sure to check the box next to "Copy files to iTunes music folder" when adding to library, under Advanced in the Preferences dialog box, so that iTunes doesn't consolidate the files for the music library).
here: http://help.cnet.com/iTunes/9602-12576_39-0.html?messageID=2505109&tag=tip-2505109&kw=iTunes

there's more tips there too

edit:
good one---> http://help.cnet.com/iTunes/9602-12576_39-0.html?messageID=2505114&tag=tip-2505114&kw=iTunes

TX.X-30 fan
05-07-2007, 05:25 PM
found this:

here: http://help.cnet.com/iTunes/9602-12576_39-0.html?messageID=2505109&tag=tip-2505109&kw=iTunes

there's more tips there too

edit:
good one---> http://help.cnet.com/iTunes/9602-12576_39-0.html?messageID=2505114&tag=tip-2505114&kw=iTunes

So you keep all the music there, and anything you add is downloaded to shared music file?? thanks Milk I'm sure I have many fun times ahead.:D

milkmania
05-07-2007, 05:40 PM
So you keep all the music there, and anything you add is downloaded to shared music file?? thanks Milk I'm sure I have many fun times ahead.:D
in XP (with mulitple users), when you look at the contents of "my computer", you see
http://milkmania.info/shared.jpg

in that folder, is a shared music folder.....

it allows music to be viewed by whoever is logged in

and to answer your first question...... no, I don't keep my music there....
it's EVERYWHERE, and that's my first problem:(

TX.X-30 fan
05-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Very cool Milk thanks.

Doug G
05-08-2007, 12:17 AM
I moved all my tunes onto a USB hard drive in one folder but lost my playlists when I got a new puter. So I got iGadget to pull the playlist off the iPod before it did a sync and all is well now.

jlf
05-08-2007, 08:23 AM
I am kind of dumb when it comes to this stuff so I picked up this cute little book called The Rough Guide to Ipods, Itunes and music online. It is really helpful, it even tells how to share music from one computer to another and from Ipod to Ipod. It also tells how to pull music off of an Ipod and back to the computer.

sassydog
05-08-2007, 06:45 PM
here's a good itunes question Milk!.........I have an external HD that stores about half my music because my computer is to small. I only turn it on when i move around music file to update my ipod. When i do turn it on, my computer automatically links the songs on the hd to the filenames on itunes. For example, i can't access a specific song when i click on the name if my HD isn't on, that file cannot be located. Only when i turn it on, does my computer automactlly find and link me to that song file. But unfortunately, now when i turn on my HD, that automatic link that used to let me hear the songs on the drive doesn't work or has disappeared. So how if my hd is connected and i want to listen or modify a song that's on there, i can to manually dig though the drive and link it myself, which can be very tedious for 3,000 songs. Any advice as to how i can fix the problem?!?!?

milkmania
05-08-2007, 06:54 PM
I am kind of dumb when it comes to this stuff so I picked up this cute little book called The Rough Guide to Ipods, Itunes and music online. It is really helpful, it even tells how to share music from one computer to another and from Ipod to Ipod. It also tells how to pull music off of an Ipod and back to the computer.

Carissa, this one?

milkmania
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
here's a good itunes question Milk!.........I have an external HD that stores about half my music because my computer is to small. I only turn it on when i move around music file to update my ipod. When i do turn it on, my computer automatically links the songs on the hd to the filenames on itunes. For example, i can't access a specific song when i click on the name if my HD isn't on, that file cannot be located. Only when i turn it on, does my computer automactlly find and link me to that song file. But unfortunately, now when i turn on my HD, that automatic link that used to let me hear the songs on the drive doesn't work or has disappeared. So how if my hd is connected and i want to listen or modify a song that's on there, i can to manually dig though the drive and link it myself, which can be very tedious for 3,000 songs. Any advice as to how i can fix the problem?!?!?
I understand exactly what you're saying......

trying to wrap my brain around it though:o

ok, what about this...
on your external HDD, when you find an mp3, RIGHT CLICK it, select "OPEN WITH", CHOOSE PROGRAM" and either select iTunes or browse for iTunes.......

note: the reason I say to select Choose Program is that it then gives you the option to select "always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

OR............. see if there's a setting within iTunes to automatically open mp3's in iTunes

if that doesn't work, get back to me:o

working on a pic

Chicago190
05-09-2007, 02:04 AM
I've been using iTunes for about 5 years now and I'm on my 2nd iPod. So here are my tips.

First, you should have one folder that has all your music in it. The default is My Music in your My Documents folder and should work fine. I use a seperate folder called MP3s in my C: drive, but this is just because of old habits.

In term of iTunes, if you use it as the only program to play music like I do, then you want to let iTunes do a lot of the work for you. With iTunes open, go to edit>preferences and click on the advanced tab. Make sure you have Keep iTunes Music folder organized as well as Use iTunes as the default player for audio files. This will make sure that all your music files are associated with iTunes and that it will help organize you for them.

The final step to iTunes is making sure you have all the titles, artists, albums, etc. set up properly. This is by far the most time consuming part of iTunes, but it is worth it in the end when you're like me and have 5,000 songs all easily organized. You'll have to right click on all your misorganized files and then go to get info and edit them under the info tab.

In terms of your problem of having to close and re-open iTunes I'm not entirely sure because when I download songs they automatically go to my MP3s folder. I've never had to close iTunes to have the files show up so unfortunately I can't help you with that. This is the best I could find during a quick google search but it doesn't look like your problem http://lifehacker.com/software/itunes/multiple-libraries-in-itunes-7-202302.php

cbryan70
05-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Sassy if the harddrive isnt reading them for some reason an easy fix may be to delete all songs out of itunes then just open up the other hard drive and put them all back in. For some reason your computer isnt able to find the files anymore. Did you change the folders name on the other hard drive, or did you change somthing in your itunes? Any name change will cause itunes to get screwy when looking for folders