PDA

View Full Version : Help Launching a 197

Andyg
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I will start buy saying I am on my third MC, '97 190, '03 197, and '07 197. The 97 was a dream to load an unload on the trailer. The '03 197 was a pain. If the trailer was in too deep I would hook the bow eye on the v-block. When the trailer was shallow enough to clear the v-block I had a heck of a time getting the boat to move on the bunks. I ended up spraying "Liquid Rollers," on my '03 trailer and that helped considerably. My trailer hitch ball height for the '03 and the 07' are the same at 19.5".

So now I have an '07 that I have had out 4 times. The first three times were at a launch that is pretty decent. I had problems similar to my '03. Then I took the boat to the launch at my cabin and I couldn't get the boat off the trailer or on the trailer. It literally took me 10 minutes to get the boat off the trailer. I tried deep, I tried shallow and every thing inbetween. If the trailer was too deep the bow would hang on the boat buddy. When the trailer was too shallow the boat literally wouldn't even move. If I got clear of the boat buddy then it would hit the v-block or I wouldn't be able to move it.

Trying to load the boat was worse than getting it off. I dunked the bunks like I always do and brought the trailer out to where the wheels wells were about an 1" out of the water. I drove the boat up and the boat buddy was about 1" above the nose of the boat. We pulled the trailer in a little shallower. Now the nose cleared the boat buddy. I drove the boat up again and it stopped about a foot short of the boat buddy and I couldn't get it to move on the bunks. I wasn't sallying it up either.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I have never seen a trailer that has to be on a perfect launch at a perfect depth at a perfect angle in order for it to work. I used to launch my 03 from this launch and while it was difficult it sure didn't take us 10 minutes to load or unload. My buddy launches his BU from this launch all the time and we never have a problem.

pflcjl
05-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I agree with you 100%...This is my 4th MC (1990 190; 1995 190; 2000 190; & 2006 197). The prior 3 were a breeze to load or unload. The 197 is a pain. I am either worried about catching the v-block and causing damage or I end up finding two or three guys at the launch to literaly lift and push the boat off the trailer while my son is throttling the boat off in reverse???? What's the trick??

pq2
05-07-2007, 03:15 PM
i have the same problem with the 04 197. At least is good to know im not the only one.

tex
05-07-2007, 04:28 PM
I just replaced my boat buddy and recarpeted both blocks. Not good trailers! Great boats!

rodltg2
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM
i had no problems with my SBT trailer on my 04TT. my 01 however is a pia ...

Ric
05-07-2007, 05:15 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

André
05-07-2007, 05:24 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I'll do a search.I'm pretty sure i read something before on the 197 trailers...:rolleyes:

G-man
05-07-2007, 05:25 PM
search for cutting boards and you will find the thread

Ric
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
andy, no joke, check to see if the water intake bulb is dragging on the port side main bunk.

I am confident that this was the majority of my loading/unloading problems with my 05 trailer... even though the way I found this issue was that my boat was eating my bunk carpets at an amazing rate

André
05-07-2007, 05:29 PM
search for cutting boards and you will find the thread
:uglyhamme :banana: :toast:

Ric
05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
search for cutting boards and you will find the thread you will no longer have trouble getting the boat on and off the trailer, this is certain! BELIEVE ME

east tx skier
05-07-2007, 06:05 PM
andy, no joke, check to see if the water intake bulb is dragging on the port side main bunk.

I am confident that this was the majority of my loading/unloading problems with my 05 trailer... even though the way I found this issue was that my boat was eating my bunk carpets at an amazing rate

Maybe it was just hungry?

bec1971
05-10-2007, 02:24 PM
I am having the same problem with my Maristar. I backed as far as I could without my trailer plug on the back of my Excursion hitting the water. Is it okay if the trailer plug / outlet gets wet? This would give me a few more feet to back up. I have a 2003 tandem Mastercraft trailer, looks like it came with a Maristar 230. My boat is the VRS 225 and I am not sure maybe the trailer is a little to long. Any thoughts? And I hate to ask the question, but is there a reason they do not use rollers on the bunks?
Thanks

BIGBADBLUE
05-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Rollers = Bad for bottom running surface IMHO, too much stress on a very small area. Bunk spread out the load.

I always unplug my lights before backing in.

JKTX21
05-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Trailer lights are sealed so I'm not too worried about it.

Can the height / location of the boat buddy not be adjusted to make loading and unloading easier for the 197s?

bec1971
05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Thank you for the clarification on the rollers. As for the plug, after it is unplugged, can I back up to the water where the outlet below the truck bumper is underwater?

bdecker
05-10-2007, 02:58 PM
This is the only solution that seems to help on my 05. Unless the ramp is at the perfect angle, it is a challenge to clear the boat buddy and the chin pad. I've already replaced mine. I also have whoever is skiing with me go to the back of the boat. You apparently have to reapply that stuff often too...

32offer
05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Somebody be a hero and figure this deal out. I just bought an '02 197 a few weeks ago. I won't get into the boat buddy not working.....I hit the v-blocks when backing out. The v-block is also a little too low to begin with, as my boat does not even rest on it after I pull it out. All of the weight is on the boat buddy. Probably why it doesn't work right anymore. I have to put the wheels on my Z71 almost under water and up to the bumper to get the boat to float up and over the v. Same thing when I load it. I hate backing in so far. I also hate trying to back the boat down the bunks if the trailer is not backed in far enough. If there's any debris or a loose bolt, you're asking for a gouge in the gelcoat.

Ric
05-10-2007, 06:55 PM
you guys must not know how to launch a boat (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10598)... That or you have some sand issues around your boat ramp

Leroy
05-10-2007, 07:06 PM
I'll have my guys think on this.....

kwood
05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Same problem on my 06 197. Crappy trailer. I use liquid rollers, but be carefull boat will slide off trailer if not latched when backing in.

Leroy
05-11-2007, 11:23 PM
My guys are saying it is so simple even a cave man can do it?

Really this hard to launch?

6ballsisall
05-11-2007, 11:37 PM
My 03' X7 trailer sucked the big one. All the same issues as said here already. On the other hand, the trailer from my 95' 190 was nothing short of incredible.

bec1971
05-12-2007, 01:47 AM
I had better luck today. However, the ramp itself was steeper. I could actually float the boat off. I definetly have trouble with the longer, less steep ramps. And here I thought it was me be a newbie.

FrankSchwab
05-12-2007, 04:35 AM
How about rebuilding the V-Block to create a channel between the two legs of the V? An inch or two should be plenty to allow the bow eye through without hitting.

Ric
05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
How about rebuilding the V-Block to create a channel between the two legs of the V? An inch or two should be plenty to allow the bow eye through without hitting. I say emial a sketch of that idea to vonore

KBryant2007
05-12-2007, 06:12 PM
I've had no trouble with my new Prostar 209. I back it in and it slides right off. I have had some trouble with the boat buddy to the point that I end up just unrolling the strap and winching it up. I'll be interested if other 197 owners are having similar problems. Could be differences in the carpet used on different year model trailers??

JohnnyB
05-16-2007, 09:56 PM
I was at Redline in Madison today and they've got an X-7 in the lot that has the v-block in a much lower position than on my 04 trailer. I believe this configuration would fix the problem.

I know the Redline guys participate on the site...can one of you post a picture of this???

The v-block on this X-7's trailer is mounted to the trailer base directly as opposed to on the winch assembly.....hard to describe....hopefully someone can post a pic.

3event
05-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Sounds like moving the vblock may help. Same prob with my '02. Depending on the angle of attack, the bow eye is too close to the vblock making it hard to load or unload. Bunks seem in the right place though.

cbryan70
05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
just go old school and throw a slap bar on there and a winch. I rebuilt my 78's trailer and put a v block on it as well as a slap bar. I have a VERY steep ramp but havnt had problems as of yet

Andyg
05-16-2007, 10:39 PM
I was just out on the water tonight and I think I have the loading problems figured out for the ramp on Lake Mendota. The depth of the trailer is the key. I have the rubber foot steps on top of the wheel wells about an inch or two out of the water. It takes some force to drive off the trailer. The key I found to loading is making it in one try. Don't try and sally it up the trailer. Drive it on and the boat buddy catches it. It has worked the last two times I was out like this. Hopefully I can figure it out at the ramp at my cabin.

WTRSK1R
05-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Andy,
I think you are right, the trailer depth is the key. I have found a fair amount of success setting the tops of my fenders exactly even with the water. The problem I have is since I am in the boat most of the time, the trailer is not always at the right point depending on who is driving my truck. I also agree that one shot up works much better if you can hit it that way. The other thing I found, is that if you do not make it in one shot, DO NOT TRY TO BACK UP. The few times I have done that, the boat ends up off center and you miss the center of the Boat Buddy completely. If you are going to back up, back completely off the trailer and start over.

Steve

Ric
05-19-2007, 10:34 AM
How about rebuilding the V-Block to create a channel between the two legs of the V? An inch or two should be plenty to allow the bow eye through without hitting. Like this ?

limegreen
05-21-2007, 07:41 PM
did i menion I am not a fan of MC trailers?

I think they are not built for the specific boat. Instead, I have a custom trailer and they had my boat suspended over it (the trailer / bunks) for the final fit...

I think the MC ones are more generic...

You may be able to guess the outcome. Perfect.

cg

Sodar
05-21-2007, 07:48 PM
My 1996 PS 190 trailer was very easy to load. My only gripe was the it did not center at the back easily, so it was always 1/2" to 1" right or left, which was not a big deal, because the bottom was so flat, but annoying none the less.

I have only launched/retreived with my 197 trailer once and from that one experience, I can tell I will NOT be pleased! My Bote Salesman aka Erkle had to really give it some throttle to get it up on the trailer. Just my observations over the last 2 weeks of ownership.. it seems as though the boat bottom sits about 5" higher than my 190, hence requiring the trailer to be in deeper than my previous trailer. I will be able to fully analyze the trailer after this weekend...

Limegreen... I too am a HUGE fan of the custom trailers.

WTRSK1R
05-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Ric,
Can I assume that is one of the differences with the '07 trailer, or did you make the change?

Thanks,

Steve

Andyg
05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
I thought they made that change on the 2004 trailers, it is that way on my 07 trailer. When I saw a 2004 197 just after I bought my 2003 I thought I noticed the v-block had moved.

WTRSK1R
05-21-2007, 09:36 PM
My 04 has the blocks tight together. I can say this with a fair amount of certainty without going out to the garage and looking because when I first got the boat and was trying to figure out the trailer depth I dragged the bow eye down the block and tore part of the carpet. Only did it that one time, but it was enough.

Steve

No Skeez
05-21-2007, 09:57 PM
As you requested Johnny B... First two are of an '06 X-7, next two are of an '07 214. Hope this helps!

crdickey
05-21-2007, 10:08 PM
I found that the V blocks on the trailer did not have a gap at the bottom of the V and would not let the larger bow eye clear. I cut 1" off each side and now have no problem when launching or loading on either a steep or shallow ramp.

Ric
05-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Ric,
Can I assume that is one of the differences with the '07 trailer, or did you make the change?

Thanks,

Steve I wish we could get a tech on here to tell us any changes made, but I think MC fears the bums rush on Vonore if they state that there's been a change.

I can tell you that the 197 vee bunk has been split with a decent gap in the middle since 04. The 04 vee bunk had it's own issues with the bow eye grazing the painted frame tubing when unloading if you were too deep in the water (angle of the trailer in relation to boat level in the water)

I have measurements somewhere and will find them someday , but the changes made on my recent trailer appear to be mainly in the main bunk area... I don't see much change in the spare tire location or the vee bunk , but my gut tells me that vee bunk is either lower or the main bunks raised the hull a bit... I have only used the trailer three times since I got it. And so far I don't have the problems of hitting the boat buddy off center when loading, nor do I have the problems of the bow eye catching the left side vee bunk on launching. Not yet ready to say what the fix was that lead to better loading, but I think the beveled main bunks are a fix for both launch and loading.

FYI, my bunk carpet is already mashed to the threads in one area in the foreward end of the left main bunk after 3 uses...... It's a beautiful trailer though! Must be my magic sand :rolleyes:

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, I can now give an honest review of the trailer... it is mediocre at best. I wasted no time and immediately applied liquid rollers to the bunks, so all my experience is this the bunks being slick as snot.

At the river over Memorial, the ramp was VERY steep. Unloading was very easy. Loading was down right tricky!!

On my first attempt to load, I backed the trailer into the same spot I did to get the boat off. I bowed in, got centered and gave it a little push, BOOM!!!! the bow eye hit my cross member below the V-block and scratched my paint. (Picture below). Looks like having the top 3" of the fender out of the water is too far in!!

I found that the only way to get the boat over the v-block and the rubrail above the boat buddy was to have about 70% of the trailer out of the water... Yes, I only had about 4' of the rear of the trailer in the water. The trailer was sooo far out, that my raw water intake was about 6" out of the water.

Anyways, I have had the boat on and off the trailer about 10 times now and I have gotten the hang of it. I am however worried, because my bunk carpet is starting to "melt", "burn" or "fuse" together at the edges of the bunks. I will get pics later, but I am worried that too much friction is occuring, even with the liquid rollers.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments or experiences?

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Here is my trailer

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Here is the bunk configuration

trickskier
06-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Anyways, I have had the boat on and off the trailer about 10 times now and I have gotten the hang of it. I am however worried, because my bunk carpet is starting to "melt", "burn" or "fuse" together at the edges of the bunks. I will get pics later, but I am worried that too much friction is occuring, even with the liquid rollers.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments or experiences?

Cameron,
You may already do this, but you didn't mention it..............When I back my trailer in for loading, I always back it in far enough to summerge the bunks and get them wet........Then I pull forward to get the trailer at the desired height for loading.

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:21 PM
The V-Block

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM
The forward bunks

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:23 PM
You can see here on the tie-down point, where my bow eye came in contact with the trailer

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:24 PM
And Finally where the bow eye came in contact with the cross member

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Cameron,
You may already do this, but you didn't mention it..............When I back my trailer in for loading, I always back it in far enough to summerge the bunks and get them wet........Then I pull forward to get the trailer at the desired height for loading.

I do the same Rick. Here is the odd thing though... the melting, burning, fusing... whatever you want to call it is happening on the two short rear bunks.... which are in the water. :confused: :(

dmayer84
06-06-2007, 02:40 PM
I do the same Rick. Here is the odd thing though... the melting, burning, fusing... whatever you want to call it is happening on the two short rear bunks.... which are in the water. :confused: :(

It is probably happening only on the two rear bunks because the trailer has to be so far out of the water when loading and then the weight of the entire boat is on those 2 bunks instead of all 4.

trickskier
06-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Hummmmm..........Well it looks from the pics that the carpet is tight.......Is it possible the hull is rubbing up against the carpet??? I know these new trailers are kinda form fitting........

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:47 PM
The carpet does not bother me as much as the bow eye hitting up front... I hate chips, dings and scratches!! Plus, like it was said before, a lot of weight is put on the boat buddy, rather than the V-block. It seems the V-block needs to be a little higher to:
a) keep the bow eye away from the cross member
b) provide a lift to get the bow over the boat buddy
c) get a little weight off the boat buddy (on my 1996, the boat buddy supported no weight and actually had a 1/32" gap between it and the bow.)

JKTX21
06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
The carpet does not bother me as much as the bow eye hitting up front... I hate chips, dings and scratches!! Plus, like it was said before, a lot of weight is put on the boat buddy, rather than the V-block. It seems the V-block needs to be a little higher to:
c) get a little weight off the boat buddy (on my 1996, the boat buddy supported no weight and actually had a 1/32" gap between it and the bow.)

Poindexter.

Is it not possible to have the v-block welded up higher or have the boat buddy lowered?

trickskier
06-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't know why they eliminated it on the trailers..............But a roller would probably solve all of your problems.........:rolleyes:

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Poindexter.

Is it not possible to have the v-block welded up higher or have the boat buddy lowered?

Listen here... I was making a point that there WAS a gap between the bow and the boat buddy 1/32" was to indicate that it was small, BUT there!! ;)

It is possible to raise the v-block with some spacers and I intend to mess with it when I get a chance... :o

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't know why they eliminated it on the trailers..............But a roller would probably solve all of your problems.........:rolleyes:

Never even noticed the new trailer did not have one!! Hmmmmm..... :confused:

JKTX21
06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Listen here... I was making a point that there WAS a gap between the bow and the boat buddy 1/32" was to indicate that it was small, BUT there!! ;)

It is possible to raise the v-block with some spacers and I intend to mess with it when I get a chance... :o

Sorry Cameron, sometimes I type outloud!

Ric had a good idea with post #33.

Sodar
06-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Sorry Cameron, sometimes I type outloud!

Ric had a good idea with post #33.

Do not let it happen again, Sparky!! Just kidding... I do not care... you can call me a horse's @$$, a mutha *&Y^, anything I have thick sick and could not give a poop!! :D

My V-block already has the gap. I am going to try raising it a little and seeing what happens... if anything.

SnSnj
06-06-2007, 03:22 PM
umm, if its in your budget sell your trailer and buy a roller, bunks arent worth a damn in my opinion

and i havent read all 6 pages of this thread so if this has already been said then forget i said anything

Andyg
06-06-2007, 03:24 PM
I think I am going to quit my day job and start designing trailers for 197s. I will put the engineering degree to use yet!

Makes me wonder if a MasterCraft trailer engineer ever tried launching a 197 from a ramp other then the one at the factory?

Sodar
06-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Someone already did it Andy!! It is called an Extreme and Malibu already got in on the gravy!!! :D :D

JKTX21
06-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Do not let it happen again, Sparky!! Just kidding... I do not care... you can call me a horse's @$$, a mutha *&Y^, anything I have thick sick and could not give a poop!! :D

My V-block already has the gap. I am going to try raising it a little and seeing what happens... if anything.

Horse's-at sign-money-money? I didn't mean for my apology to sound genuine.

That's a bummer you guys spend the $ on the 197s and the trailers are sub-par. What is the Tex solution?

Sodar
06-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Horse's-at sign-money-money? I didn't mean for my apology to sound genuine.

Good, because I did not take it genuinely!! Horse's butt (superlative)... DUH!!:D

André
06-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Well,with all those 197 trailer sories i thought i would share mine.
Ski partner took delivery of his brand new 06 197 2 weeks ago and had to get it back to dealer to install bimini and a couples of other things.
I had to drive the boat on the trailer and advice him to wet the bunks first and then get the fenders out of water an inch or so.
Drove the boat on the trailer until 2 feet from Boat Buddy then gently powered the boat until it engage...Et Voilà!
First try!
I couldn't beleive it!
Maybe it was beginners luck but everything went really smooth!:)
Will let you know about the second time...:rolleyes:

JohnE
06-06-2007, 05:31 PM
After reading the beginning of this thread, I was scared to death to load my new to me '05 last month..........So far have done it about 10 times, not problems.

I do have the dreaded single axle trailer, is there any chance the problems are only with the tandem? Just a stab in the dark after seeing Sodar's pics.

Sodar
06-06-2007, 05:37 PM
To be honest, I think that the ramp angle has a TON to do with the ease of these trailers. Unfortunately, when I launch at the river, I launch off of the river bank, so the ramp is rather steep, making my method of driving on with the trailer very far our of the water a neccessity.

When I launched at the lake this last weekend on our private ramp (VERY flat). The boat went on quite easily... I just needed to have the trailer out a touch further than my '96 PS 190

Andyg
06-06-2007, 05:50 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the ramp. The ramps in Madison are pretty shallow and the boat launches much easier there. The launch at my cabin however is another story. Not only is it steep it is also not level from side to side. With that said though we never have any problems launch my friend's BU from that launch.

Sodar
06-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the ramp. The ramps in Madison are pretty shallow and the boat launches much easier there. The launch at my cabin however is another story. Not only is it steep it is also not level from side to side. With that said though we never have any problems launch my friend's BU from that launch.

Yeah, exactly!! I have launched and load just about every type of boat imaginable from this ramp at the river. I have launched cats, v-drives, direct drives, flatbottoms, pontoon boats, offshore boats, and even my old MC and never had a problem. This is the first time I have ever had problems with the ramp. It just pisses me off that I knicked the trailer on my brand new boat!! :mad:

Ric
06-15-2007, 01:45 AM
cam, you will notice in post 33 that my trailer hook loop is engineered off center a bit to clear the bow eye in situations such as what happened to you :rolleyes:

Ric
06-15-2007, 01:51 AM
well I did it. I am so damn gunshy of my trailer, (and embarrasingly have not used the 07 trailer hardly at all since delivery) that recently at the big lake, I hit the boat buddy latch too hard. I caused it to knock off the little welded tab that catches the hand latch... Whats worse is I didnt know it. NO damage was done but my ego was shot when DwayneR witnessed my loading and I could not get the buddy to latch..... I kept bumping it and finally crawled up to check it out and the tab is completely gone...

I didnt ram the eye into the boat buddy THAT hard at the big lake, but I know that whatever it is with this new trailer, the boat doesn't "stick" to the bunks and I don't need much of a throttle bump to get the eye into place.

Andre, it's probably simply a matter of you being a better boater than me

André
06-15-2007, 08:13 AM

Don't think so.The ramp is very nice and the angle is perfect.
That was only the first time to put the boat back on.
We'll see what happens next time...

Sodar
06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
cam, you will notice in post 33 that my trailer hook loop is engineered off center a bit to clear the bow eye in situations such as what happened to you :rolleyes:

So in other words, you 2007 trailer is a one off? Or is the off-centered tie-down hook a "ric engineered" option??

Ric
06-15-2007, 11:16 AM
So in other words, you 2007 trailer is a one off? Or is the off-centered tie-down hook a "ric engineered" option?? ya, one-off in the sense that someone had a hangover if they thought that tab was welded square:rolleyes:

Ric
06-15-2007, 11:18 AM
sodar, I have never hit that hook holder like you but the 04 trailer had a bracket very near that gap in the vee bunk and certain ramp angles allowed the bow eye to knock paint off of that when it wasn't busy getting caught on the front of the vee.

Ric
06-15-2007, 11:19 AM
oh and Todd, if you're reading this I promise NOT to call you about this issue.. This one has Ric written ALL over it!

well I did it. I am so damn gunshy of my trailer, (and embarrasingly have not used the 07 trailer hardly at all since delivery) that recently at the big lake, I hit the boat buddy latch too hard. I caused it to knock off the little welded tab that catches the hand latch... Whats worse is I didnt know it. NO damage was done but my ego was shot when DwayneR witnessed my loading and I could not get the buddy to latch..... I kept bumping it and finally crawled up to check it out and the tab is completely gone...

I didnt ram the eye into the boat buddy THAT hard at the big lake, but I know that whatever it is with this new trailer, the boat doesn't "stick" to the bunks and I don't need much of a throttle bump to get the eye into place.

Sodar
06-15-2007, 12:04 PM
sodar, I have never hit that hook holder like you but the 04 trailer had a bracket very near that gap in the vee bunk and certain ramp angles allowed the bow eye to knock paint off of that when it wasn't busy getting caught on the front of the vee.

I attribute it to the STEEP ramp I was on. I have launched and retrieved several more times from my parent's ramp at the lake (a moderately flat ramp) and have had no issues. I am just going to get some touch up paint and fix it the best I can and call it a day...

Cousin_Jeff
07-13-2007, 11:39 AM
I think this is the most relative thread to post a comment. I too love the boat, not thrilled with the trailer of my 02 197. Now it appears that the something has given out in the suspension off the axle. Has anyone else experienced this?

Basically the wheel wells are now extremely close to the tire b/c it is sitting so low. It is still driveable but it will need addressing soon.

Just curious if anyone knows about this. I do not know that much about trailers or suspension but I know that it does not have leaf springs. Not sure what it is that is suspending the trailer off the axle and if that can be adjusted / replaced / corrected.

Thanks guys.

peason
07-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Cousin Jeff, there were some problems with the trailers in the early 2000's I had my boat in for service for another issue and the service manager changed the axle under warranty and then told me about it later. I didn't even know there was a problem. There have been some posts concerning this, but I would contact your dealer.

tex
07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Jeff-I have the same boat and trailer. My fenders have always been very close to my wheels. I've never had an issue. I too hate the trailer! Love the boat!

ski36short
07-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Interesting trend of "love the boat, hate the trailer"... I kinda feel the same way with my rig. The trailer under my 99 190 was great, what has happened since then?!? Something with the hull design makes trailer design difficult?

Cousin_Jeff
08-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Well - the suspension (I guess) finally gave out. I was driving home about 2 weeks ago after an evening run. I pulled into the gas station about 1.5 miles from my house to put some gas in the truck as I was planning to leave the next morning (with the boat) for a ~ 4hour trip to Dale Hollow. I thought I smelled burnt rubber so I walked around the trailer and sure enough the wheel well was completely laying on the tire. It had been cutting into the tire for the ~ 20 minute ride home from the lake.

Luckily I was only 1.5 miles from my house so I got the boat home safely. I then had to take the wheel well off because I could not take anywhere to be fixed b/c it would just eat my spare in that condition. So after figuring out that I had to cut the black grip tape on top of the wheel well to get to the screws that hold on the wheel well in the 100+ degree heat, I took the boat the 1 hour drive to the dealer. (It used to be 15 mins away but that dealer lost their MC status). I guess you can figure that I am not in a great mood at this point. I was not going to get to take my boat that weekend and they informed me they were so backed up that it would be 2 weeks before they even could look at the boat.

I just got the call that they have surveyed the damage and contacted my extended warranty reps and they are going to cover the repair. They are having to put a new axle on the trailer. They forgot to ask so I asked they call back to the warranty b/c I wanted to know if they were going to replace the tire that was ruined caused by the damaged axle that they are going to repair.

No ETC on this repair but I am really hoping to get back in the water soon.

The upside is that no one was hurt, this happended before I started on a 4 hour trip, and I did not have to do these repairs on the side of the road but rather in my own drive way.

It is true, if you have a boat, it is always something.