PDA

View Full Version : Waterline Cover...Extension on Factory MC Cover

Diesel
05-07-2007, 10:26 AM
So this year my boat will be on a Hydro-Hoist in a private slip for the entire summer. I am stoked about not having to tow it and the ability to have it in the water in a matter of minutes but I was a bit aprehensive about leaving it out in the elements. The dock is covered but at certain times of the day the sun will beat down on the boat.

Since I already owned a MC cover (and paid a pretty penny for it) I decided to use it and make an extension to cover the gel coat and platform. The material is sunbrella and it attaches to the factory cover with hook and loop so I can still use the factory cover sans extension. Here are a few pics.......

Diesel
05-07-2007, 10:26 AM
More.............

Diesel
05-07-2007, 10:27 AM

Diesel
05-07-2007, 10:28 AM

BrianM
05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Looks great. Who did it for you? Local shop?

chevy08bud
05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Good work! Looks nice and should work great on a lift to keep the elements from wreaking havoc on your boat.

Doug Meeker
05-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Very impressive. Great job.

Diesel
05-07-2007, 10:38 AM

Diesel
05-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Looks great. Who did it for you? Local shop?

I am in the cut and sew business so I had it done here at our plant.

chevy08bud
05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Way to use your resources! Looked way too professional for someone like me to put together.

PaulW
05-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Very nice, I was thinking about that as well.

C36
05-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Nice job! :)

Just curious what you use to attach the waterline portion of the cover to the original mooring cover?

TMCNo1
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Nice job !

TMCNo1
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM

Just curious what you use to attach the waterline portion of the cover to the original mooring cover?

Post#1 says and #8 shows hook and loop = Velcro!

Diesel
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM

A tab with loop (female velcro) was sewn into the factory cover all the way around. Here is a close up..........

WESSTAR
05-07-2007, 10:53 PM
That is a great idea. Now that is a product I would buy if it existed. I am just not that creative with stuff like that

Mark B
05-08-2007, 09:18 AM
That is fantastic. I was planning to sew one on my cover permanantly, but the velcro thing would allow for removal if you do decide to trailer with the cover on. Nice work too.

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 10:16 AM
That is fantastic. I was planning to sew one on my cover permanantly, but the velcro thing would allow for removal if you do decide to trailer with the cover on. Nice work too.

I seen them used while trailering and they protect the bow from rocks/debris and the sides from dirt and junk.

C36
05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Post#1 says and #8 shows hook and loop = Velcro!

Thanks for the clarification. :) I had looked at #8 a few times, but still wasn't sure. :(

A tab with loop (female velcro) was sewn into the factory cover all the way around. Here is a close up..........

Thanks for the clarification (and additional picture). :)

We had a waterline cover made up this past winter. Similar to the picture below (not our boat or our cover - ours is grey and made out of sunbrella) the waterline portion of ours comes in sections permanently sewn to the ends of the panels on the main cover to allow for installation around the tower - the manufacturer discouraged the use of Velcro to make the waterline panels removable for us. We also had our waterline portion extend down below the chine (as the waterline panels will only be used when the boat is out of the water and tucked up under when on the water). Personally I prefer the design of yours (no fiddling with extra long flaps when using as mooring cover and longer continuous sections when the waterline section is in place).

I am looking forward to using our new cover this summer and hope yours serves you well!

hokiecharlie
05-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I am in the cut and sew business so I had it done here at our plant.
This looks great! Any chance you would share the design for another 209 owner?

Prostar Rich
05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Very nice job on the waterline cover. I am going to make up one as well because my boat is on a shore station all summer and the sun takes it's toll on the gelcoat.

Prostar Rich

jmkshm101
05-11-2007, 05:06 PM
I also have mine on a lift all summer. The front section is always in the shade b/c the dock is covered, but the back gets sun in the afternoon and the teak gets hammered. I am all for anything that lets me spend more time on the water and less time cleaning, waxing, and polishing. Great job. Now we just need to find someone to mass produce something like that :).

Diesel
05-11-2007, 05:26 PM
This looks great! Any chance you would share the design for another 209 owner?

I just checked and the pattern I made was thown away. It only took me about an hour to make.

beatle78
06-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi Diesel,

Quick question. I'm going to oder some matching fabric for my cover to extend it down to the waterline and I'm looking for a little advice.

My boat sits in the water 24/7. I have a 205V with tower.

On the extension, do you cut vertical slits with velcro on it where the tower goes around the fabric?

Any advice to get a tight fit around the waterline? Did you run rope through the waterline to keep the cover against the hull?

I'm thinking if I don't have something to hold the extension in, the wind could get underneath it and cause some problems?

I'll take any thoughts/advice you have on fitting a waterline extension.

Thanks!

Diesel
06-15-2007, 05:35 PM
On the extension, do you cut vertical slits with velcro on it where the tower goes around the fabric?

If you want to be able to remove the extension with the cover you will have to have the slits. I did not want to complicate things and wanted a tight fit so I omitted the cuts for the tower. Because of this I have to put the exension over the tower first then put the cover on and attach the two.

Any advice to get a tight fit around the waterline? Did you run rope through the waterline to keep the cover against the hull?

I'm thinking if I don't have something to hold the extension in, the wind could get underneath it and cause some problems?

I have a nylon cord that runs all the way around the bottom seam. It cinches down to hold everything tight against the hull to eliminate flapping from the wind. I think it is necessary unless you let the extension hang straight down and use some weight bags.

Keep in mind if you decide to cut the slits for the tower you will have to have some buckles or something in the hem cord you can disconnect at the slits. Another reason I did not put the tower slits in mine.

beatle78
06-16-2007, 07:47 AM
ok thanks. I'll have to do a dry run with the boat in the water to see how easy it would be to put the extension over the tower.

I do have a bag of clips left over from when I modified my BU cover to fit the tower.

p.s. that extension came out SWEET!

endl
08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
New waterline cover for the lift. I need a couple more bungee's on it but it hangs way down which is what I wanted for the lift. The sewed a big Zipper onto my stock cover and then some small velcro taps above zipper to keep flush. I will have the rest of the boat done next year but this gets the back end out of the Western Sun.

endl
08-20-2007, 10:21 AM
couple more

C36
11-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Here is a picture of our cover (with skirts) posted for general information. The skirts are much easier to keep out of the way (when not in use when the boat is in the water) then I thought.

Thanks for the clarification. :) I had looked at #8 a few times, but still wasn't sure. :(

Thanks for the clarification (and additional picture). :)

We had a waterline cover made up this past winter. Similar to the picture below (not our boat or our cover - ours is grey and made out of sunbrella) the waterline portion of ours comes in sections permanently sewn to the ends of the panels on the main cover to allow for installation around the tower - the manufacturer discouraged the use of Velcro to make the waterline panels removable for us. We also had our waterline portion extend down below the chine (as the waterline panels will only be used when the boat is out of the water and tucked up under when on the water). Personally I prefer the design of yours (no fiddling with extra long flaps when using as mooring cover and longer continuous sections when the waterline section is in place).

I am looking forward to using our new cover this summer and hope yours serves you well!