PDA

View Full Version : First time out... A couple questions???

chevy08bud
05-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Just got the boat out for the first time this weekend and I would say it was a success. I didn't break anything, ding a prop, run into a dock, or sink the boat. I do have a few questions though. I am used to driving I/O boats and this is my first DD. When I am driving the boat, and I release the throttle, is it supposed to back off and ultimately return to idle, or should you be able to take your hand off of the throttle and have it stay in the position that you put it? The other question is: I know that backing up these boats can be difficult because you cannot really steer where you want to as you would be able to with an I/O. Are there any tricks or tips for reversing and getting the boat to go halfway where you want it? I have found a few occasions already where the starboard "shift" when you put the boat in reverse is helpful, but I'm still learning how to drive this thing, and have already vastly improved both my comfort level and driving skills since the first time out. Any tips/tricks and light on this would be appreciated.

east tx skier
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
There is a throttle return spring (should be on the starboard side of your engine somewhere, but I only know how to do this with the Ford engines that have the spring on the port side). Basically, you should be able stretch it or replace it with a less tense spring so it doesn't drag your throttle back. It is a safety feature in case your throttle cable breaks. One of the Chevy guys will be able to tell you more about this.

As for backing it up, take it out away from all solid things and practice, practice, practice. Back a little, turn your wheel to the right and bump it forward a little to get the back end straight, then back it some more. I know of a person or two who swear they can steer while the back it up. But I haven't figured that part out in the last several years. Soon, it'll be normal for you.

betsy&david Harrison
05-07-2007, 11:52 AM
ETS is right...practice..a lot! It is all in the steering and throttle controls.

captain planet
05-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Because of the direction that the prop spins when you are in reverse, the boat will back up to the starboard side. With a little practice, you will find this to be very easy to get used to. My advise would be to go out by yourself and practice backing up next to a bouy in a no wake zone for a while. Once you get the handle of it, it will actually become easier to maneuver than an I/O.

I notice that you have a tower which means two things. One, you may have ballast bags in your boat. If they are full, this will keep your boat from backing to the right as much as if you were empty. As for the tower itself, it is windy it will act like a sail.

Good luck.

chevy08bud
05-08-2007, 01:59 AM
I'll keep practicing. You're right, the tower acts like a massive sail, especially when you have boards attached to it. No ballast bags on this thing, I'm not a real good wakeboarder and just plan to stick people back there for now if I really want to bust my face. I have found the DD easier to manuver in tight quarters, and am getting the hang of reversing the boat. I thought that I saw in skidim.com that they had a set screw type thing to attach to the throttle cable to adjust tension to keep the throttle from returning automatically. Didn't know if this was a replacement part to something on the boat already and I just needed to adjust it, or what the deal is there. Thanks for the words of wizdom.

Vegas X-Star
05-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Just make sure no one is watching when you are practicing, get far away from the marina and bring a friend that can keep his mouth shut. I recently "tutored" a guy who's first boat he ever owned is a new X-Star......I know, crawl before you run. That was some real comedy. It only took him two tries to bust one of the trailer guides off...ramming speed, Scottie.

TMCNo1
05-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Just got the boat out for the first time this weekend and I would say it was a success. I didn't break anything, ding a prop, run into a dock, or sink the boat. I do have a few questions though. I am used to driving I/O boats and this is my first DD. When I am driving the boat, and I release the throttle, is it supposed to back off and ultimately return to idle, or should you be able to take your hand off of the throttle and have it stay in the position that you put it? The other question is: I know that backing up these boats can be difficult because you cannot really steer where you want to as you would be able to with an I/O. Are there any tricks or tips for reversing and getting the boat to go halfway where you want it? I have found a few occasions already where the starboard "shift" when you put the boat in reverse is helpful, but I'm still learning how to drive this thing, and have already vastly improved both my comfort level and driving skills since the first time out. Any tips/tricks and light on this would be appreciated.

It's like I told someone once who asked how we learned to back, park and load like we do,
"You either take your time, be patient, practice and learn the right way or go at it like a hyperactive bear and do unnecessary damage to the boat, trailer, dock or even someone, it's your choice, equipment and money"!