PDA

View Full Version : Truck versus SUV as a tow vehicle

deansnyder
05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
I have been a member for a while now but haven't posted. I have read through most of the recent threads and haven't seen this question posed. I am debating on a new tow vehicle and I am curious what everyone's opinion is with regards to a four door truck versus an SUV. I am sure this will be a can of worms, but I am up for the debate. I have a two door truck now (Silverado 2500) and need room for the family. I am leaning towards a Tahoe, Durango or Toyota Sequoia. Let the debate begin :D

chevy08bud
05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Go with an Avalanche! They have lots of room, a waterproof cargo area, tow great, and lots of room for kids or adults in the back seat.

ski_king
05-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I vote 4 door truck.

Slight threadjack.....
Maybe someone can explain to me the attraction of a Avalanche over a typical 4 door truck. I know the obvious (the back of the cab opens up), but as I see it that as more of a gimmick and not all that useful.

To me a 4 door pickup with a tonneau cover or a cap seems to be the best way to go.

BrianM
05-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Go with an Avalanche! They have lots of room, a waterproof cargo area, tow great, and lots of room for kids or adults in the back seat.

What he said. Go with the SUT. I came out of an extended cab truck and would not go back. Best of both worlds with the Avy.

chevy08bud
05-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd say that they are not so much of a gimmick, Chevy is on their second body style and seem to be selling pretty well. I know that it is a mater of preference, but it is what works best for me. I'd say that if you need a vehicle to tow with but need space to carry people, but may also have the occasion to need or use a truck bed, then go with the Avalanche. If you are someone who would use the bed of the truck all of the time, or more than a couple of times a week or more, then go with a 4 door truck.

BrianM
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I vote 4 door truck.

Slight threadjack.....
Maybe someone can explain to me the attraction of a Avalanche over a typical 4 door truck. I know the obvious (the back of the cab opens up), but as I see it that as more of a gimmick and not all that useful.

To me a 4 door pickup with a tonneau cover or a cap seems to be the best way to go.
I'll try and explain. First thing is that with the midgate closed the bed is the same length as the short bed 1500 crew cabs at about 5'6". So basicly if you never even mess with the midgate you have the same hauling capacity as the crew cab. Second is that you have the cargo covers over that area. So the 99% of the time that I am not hauling large items that require the removal of the covers I have a huge waterproof, lockable trunk.

Now I decide to go down to the local Home Depot to pick up some drywall or 2x4s or plywood or all three. I check out roll my supplies out of the store just as a thunderstorm lets loose. In that crew cab truck you are scrambling for a tarp and rope to tie down with, have to fold down the tailgate and still have 1 ft of material hanging out the back. With my Avy I flip the rear seats and midgate down slide everything in and close the tailgate. Everything stays nice and dry inside.

Also in the everyday driving the Avy rides and drives much nicer than the truck. Has a little added weight in the back so you don't get that light rear end that you do with the truck.

As said above if you are hauling large items (that stick above the bed rails) multiple times a week then a crew cab truck is probably a better choice. If not then I think the Avy gives a lot more versitility and is a much better choice.

betsy&david Harrison
05-07-2007, 11:45 AM
We have done both. A Sequoia and now a 4-door truck (2500) with a bed cover. If you have kids, the SUV is a nice way to go because of the room but we have found that now they are older, the truck is a much better choice. It tows much better and all the toys fit in the bed. Just my :twocents:

Ryan
05-07-2007, 11:48 AM
I'd love to go for a 4 door truck - less $ and all the same goodies. But since the tow vehicle will be my wife's daily driver as long as I have a co car. Since she prefers SUVs that's what we have.

djhuff
05-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I was going to go with the 4 door truck for the only reason that they are cheaper than the full size SUV. I found a killer deal on an Excursion, and bought it within 2 days of when I found it. If you are coming from an SUV, you'll never be as happy with a truck, but I think the same would hold true the other way. Just what you are used to and use the vehicle for.

Naste Craft
05-07-2007, 12:00 PM
We just got rid of the 99 Yukon and picked up a 07 Chevy Duramax 4X4 crew cab...:steering: :banana:

TX.X-30 fan
05-07-2007, 12:12 PM
We just got rid of the 99 Yukon and picked up a 07 Chevy Duramax 4X4 crew cab...:steering: :banana:

That's what I'm talking about!!!! ;)

WESSTAR
05-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 4 door with a shell on the back. This works great for us because when we go camping the dogs have a place to ride that is safe and they are not inside with dirty paws. And it tows well.

rlivingood
05-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Truck. I have both a v10 Excursion and the v10 F-350 long bed crew cab. Both tow well, but the Truck tows even better. The seating area (not counting the 3rd row in the Excursion) is about the same. Being able to throw all the stuff in the back of the truck under the cover is easier than loading the boat for the trip camping. Really helpful if you get stuck in a rain and need to put away tents and wet stuff. Also, I have one of those full size bed inflatable mattresses so it makes an extra bed when needed.

So option truck, it tows better, loads / unloads faster, same room, and has a extra bed if needed.

Rod

M-Funf
05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I think it really depends on what ELSE you'll be doing with the tow vehicle. I use my "tow vehicle" ('97 Jeep Grand Cherokee) as my around town beater to pick up drywall, dirt (yes, loose dirt in the back:rolleyes: ), plants, haul junk to the dump, etc. We also use it as the grocery hauler, early AM gym trips, and take it to places where we don't want to take a nice car.
I was thinking about a 4DR truck, but it would be too large to bounce around town in, not to mention the cost of gas lately...

jraben8
05-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I currently have an '01 Expedition and for all water related activities it's great. But for everything else I really wish I had a truck and probably will next time around...

causewayskiier
05-07-2007, 02:30 PM
My choice would be a SUV unless you need the truck bed to haul stuff. I have a Ford Explorer, when I launch or retrieve my boat I open the lift gate and can see very well where I'm going. Additionally the SUV is much shorter than a 4 door Pick up making it easier to back. When backing my friends' 4 door Tacoma, I feel like I'm backing a semi truck due to the length and that you can't see very well out the back. My .02 cents.

Archimedes
05-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Avalanche all day and twice on Sunday. Unless you have absolutely no use for a pickup bed at all. Then, I'd go SUV.

DemolitionMan
05-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Just got my new truck in. 2007 Chevy silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the 20" wheels. I got it with the 5.3 flex fuel motor so it can run on 85 octane, and it has 315 horse power, and gets 20 miles to the gallon.

TX.X-30 fan
05-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Truck. I have both a v10 Excursion and the v10 F-350 long bed crew cab. Both tow well, but the Truck tows even better. The seating area (not counting the 3rd row in the Excursion) is about the same. Being able to throw all the stuff in the back of the truck under the cover is easier than loading the boat for the trip camping. Really helpful if you get stuck in a rain and need to put away tents and wet stuff. Also, I have one of those full size bed inflatable mattresses so it makes an extra bed when needed.

So option truck, it tows better, loads / unloads faster, same room, and has a extra bed if needed.

Rod

NOW THAT'S A CARBON FOOTPRINT :D :D

TX.X-30 fan
05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Just got my new truck in. 2007 Chevy silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the 20" wheels. I got it with the 5.3 flex fuel motor so it can run on 85 octane, and it has 315 horse power, and gets 20 miles to the gallon.

TREEHUGGER 8p 8p

JKTX21
05-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I have had all kinds of Chevy and Ford trucks and loved them all. But my tow vehicle is an Expedition now, and it suits my needs a little more. I love all of the room in the back to throw stuff (and don't have to unload if I don't want to, it tows great, plenty of room for passengers, etc.

I just can't justify owning a pickup any longer for the amount of time I'd spend utilizing the bed space.

jraben8
05-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I currently have an '01 Expedition and for all water related activities it's great. But for everything else I really wish I had a truck and probably will next time around...

I have been thinking about this for a while and now I'm starting to think that a SUV now is better. It's hard to take the family and the kids friends in a truck. 7 just don't fit in a truck very well...

beatle78
05-07-2007, 04:33 PM
beware of the Sequoia. My neighbor has one and the tranny shredded.

He bought it new and just after the warranty expired his tranny pan was filled with metal.

He tows his Prostar 190 several hundred miles each way once a year and then tows his 2 boats back and forth to the office at the beginning/end of the season. ~15 miles.

He asked the dealer if he could tow with overdrive ON and they said yes. Now he is thinking they were full of crap!

betsy&david Harrison
05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
beware of the Sequoia. My neighbor has one and the tranny shredded.

He bought it new and just after the warranty expired his tranny pan was filled with metal.

He tows his Prostar 190 several hundred miles each way once a year and then tows his 2 boats back and forth to the office at the beginning/end of the season. ~15 miles.

He asked the dealer if he could tow with overdrive ON and they said yes. Now he is thinking they were full of crap!
The Sequoia did not pull the boat too well for us either.

rstitson
05-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Tundra max cab 4 by is my wish vehicle. We have had a test drive and it far and away beats the avalanche (and I am a GMC/chevy guy) 10,000 lb towing, back seat bigger than a SUV. Short box but not buying for the box. Might have to settle for a 4runner as can get a 2005 second hand one the suits our needs but the Tundra is the best, and cheaper than a comparable GMC

Archimedes
05-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Tundra max cab 4 by is my wish vehicle. We have had a test drive and it far and away beats the avalanche (and I am a GMC/chevy guy) 10,000 lb towing, back seat bigger than a SUV. Short box but not buying for the box. Might have to settle for a 4runner as can get a 2005 second hand one the suits our needs but the Tundra is the best, and cheaper than a comparable GMC

I shopped the Tundra when I bought my Avi and came to the exact opposite conclusion, so I guess a lot of it has to do with personal preference. I thought the interior of the Tundra was cheesy for the money compared to the new Avi and thought the ride quality was much better on the newer Avalanche. I'm sure the Tundra will outperform the new Avalanche in tow capacity, but it's at a level I don't really need, so that wasn't an issue.

sunsational
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
It gets down to how much hauling of stuff you need to do.

One thing no one has mentioned is turning radius. The Tahoe / Yukon have a great turning radius unless you get the behemoth Suburban or XL. Parking is much easier than a 4-door truck as well.

My vote is SUV.

JKTX21
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I have been thinking about this for a while and now I'm starting to think that a SUV now is better. It's hard to take the family and the kids friends in a truck. 7 just don't fit in a truck very well...

I agree. Unless you are hauling refrigerators and loads of rock on a regular basis, I think an SUV fits better for most people. I am able to borrow pickups with no problem, so I am content with a big SUV.

DemolitionMan
05-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Buy American while there is still time!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

JohnnyB
05-07-2007, 07:46 PM
As the owner of 2 SUVs (Tahoe and Suburban), I would say 4-door truck. I use them both like pickups to some degree and am always cleaning the cargo areas as a result. When I bought the tahoe, you couldn't get a 1/2 ton 4-door pickup. I bought the suburban for the 7 person seating capacity. Next go round, its going to be a 4-door pickup.

JohnE
05-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I say Avalanche too. Brian summed it up well. I have a close friend who has always had an F250 or 350 extended cab. He works construction with it, tows a large boat, etc. When I bought my first Avalanche, he mocked me abuut it. After being in it a few times and borrowing it for a trip, he bought his wife one. The only reason he doesn't drive it is he needs a truck with heavy duty racks for work. It doesn't compare to a pickup for heavy duty use, but is a great all around truck.

If I had to answer the op based on only 2 choices, I'd sau SUV.

6ballsisall
05-07-2007, 10:12 PM
We recently got a 07 Tahoe for the wifey. That third row seating sure is nice if you have a family and ever intend to take people to the lake with you. As for pickup or SUV, if we didn't need third row seating we'd probably have a truck instead. However, it's the wifes ride (I drive a car) and she said SUV. :cool:

Jet
05-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I vote for SUV.

We have 3 kids and it is very practical for long trips or just day to day use, we chose the Pathfinder because of its size and the third row seat.

liledgy
05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
I have a 2500 sub and a 2500 silverado, I love them both. If you get an suv you can't beat the 2500 sub or the discontinued excursion.

Leroy
05-08-2007, 12:48 AM
I vote SUV and highly recommend the Lexus LX470. Auto-leveling, 4 levels of ride stiftness adjustable with dashboard switch, and anti-skid features.

dapicatti
05-08-2007, 12:58 AM
We have both- Denali and Avalanche- I prefer the Avalanche when we are not taking kids, easier to store more gear in the back of the truck. If we are traveling with kids we use the Denali. I think it really depends on what stage of life you are in, kids no kids and how old they are.

BrianM
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
We recently got a 07 Tahoe for the wifey. That third row seating sure is nice if you have a family and ever intend to take people to the lake with you. As for pickup or SUV, if we didn't need third row seating we'd probably have a truck instead. However, it's the wifes ride (I drive a car) and she said SUV. :cool:

Hey Jeff,

I take it you finally got a buyback on the Durango.

jlf
05-08-2007, 10:59 AM
I'll throw in my vote for the Av. I've wanted one forever, the hubby didn't really like them. I won and we finally got one, an '05, we use it for everything. Our other tow vehicle is an extended cab '01 silverado. The Av tows the boat alot nicer than our truck and it's way more comfy. If you are only going to be worring about towing the boat then I'd go with the 4 door truck, one draw back to the Av's are the rear end sits up a little higher so sometimes backing the empty trailer down the landing sucks, otherwise it's awesome. As far as using the Av as a truck, it is so versitile we use it for everything. I love hauling groceries in it, it is awesome for snowmobile trips all the gear in the bed all the passengers in the cab and comfortable and the gear doesn't get wet because the box is sealed. We've removed the mid gate completely on long trips and put the cooler in the box then all you have to do is fold down one seat and you can reach the cooler without stopping. I've also dropped the back seats and slept in the box while on long trips.

jkski
05-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Nobody has mentioned the Dodge MegaCab pickup yet. I have Durango that pulls great and a Dodge x-cab 4x4 that pulls great, but it seems to me that the MegaCab combines the 2 fairly well. Yeah, you don't get the overall interior space, but the back seats in the MegaCab recline back a bit, whereas the Durango does not, and you have plenty of storage space behind the back seat. Then you have the bed on top of everything else.
Just something else to consider.

Toober Tom
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
My dream truck. The best of both worlds.
http://www.fordification.com/board/1975-ford-F600-6-Door01.jpg

YooperScott
05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Not mentioned yet is also the Honda Ridgeline. I just got one about 6 weeks ago. Have not towed a trailer yet with it but it is the best riding/driving SUV or truck I have ever been in. The bed is limited if you really "need" the full size bed of a truck. For those who don't really (like myself, however I probably actually use a truck bed more than some whom "need" it), you can put on a tonneau cover and also the in-bed trunk is awesome.

We were actually going to get a Pilot and my wife and I both liked the backseat of the Ridgeline better.

Scott

Maristar210
05-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I hate the bed length in a 4 door truck. My wife has a brand new Yukon and I have an ext cab truck. The next truck will be a single cab with an 8 foot box. I guess I am one of the ones that "needs" the bed. PIA to haul a dirt bike in that damn short bed, never again. Of course I'm a little different than your average bear but at least I don't drive a chevette like UMP. :D

Thrall
05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Crew Cab truck! Personal preferance I suppose, but unless you're looking for the 3rd row seat, trucks are cheaper and a tonneau cover is only $200 to $800 depending on your taste, or need for security w/ a hard top tonneau.
Cap for the back can be had for $800-$1200 for a nice matching fiberglass one if you really need storage or want it to look like a Suburban.
Either way, a comparable pickup will cost less and you can't get a Duramax or Cummins in a sport ute!

SHarr5184
05-08-2007, 01:40 PM
When dealing with bed length, I have a 2006 F150 4-Door with the new 6.5' bed and it is MUCH better than the 5.5 for my needs. With the 6.5, you can throw in a toolbox and still have plenty of room.

Use to have a Lexus LX470 and moved to the Ford in August. I have really loved the Ford (much more than I expected) and I prefer it when going to the lake. I can imagine with kids the SUV is nice, but with the truck I can throw all the wet gear and coolers (for coke and such, of course) right in the back of the truck.

Just to comment on the Tundras...my brother has a 2002 and they don't tow nearly as well as the F150. The tranny cannot handle the weight very well. I say if going with the Tundra, definitely get the new body study, it is a MUCH tougher truck.

Best of luck!

G-man
05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
My wife and I love our duramax crew cab 4X4 It tows great and has brakes big enough to handle going over the continental divide without any problems. Around town it parks and handles much better that the f 250 we had. My Ford was a 6.0 problem child.

Archimedes
05-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Not mentioned yet is also the Honda Ridgeline. I just got one about 6 weeks ago. Have not towed a trailer yet with it but it is the best riding/driving SUV or truck I have ever been in. The bed is limited if you really "need" the full size bed of a truck. For those who don't really (like myself, however I probably actually use a truck bed more than some whom "need" it), you can put on a tonneau cover and also the in-bed trunk is awesome.

We were actually going to get a Pilot and my wife and I both liked the backseat of the Ridgeline better.

Scott

I liked the Ridgeline as well when I shopped, but the bed was too short for my dirtbike, even with the gate down, and the tow rating was too low. Nice truck though at a good price.

roddydog
05-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Huh???:( :( :(

roddydog
05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Ridgeline looks great but is it a 4 door SUV with a bed, or an extended cab truck with 4 doors.

I know I'm in on this late but I really don't see a whole lot of difference 'tween the two. It's just preference and what you are going to use it for.

I LOVE my Pathfinder but if I was going to haul wood and a ton of other stuff a P/U would be the choice.

Y'know??

rlivingood
05-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention with the truck. My F350 with the crew cab and long bed is a long truck. Make sure you can back the thing up. When it get's that long backing the boat down the ramp or into tight spots needs some practice. Also, making U-Turns needs quite a lot of space. I had an Expidetion and that was real short compared to the Excursion or the F350 CC Long bed.

Don't want to see anyone on the ramp doing that old Miller pitifull commerical :-)

Rod

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I'll try and explain. First thing is that with the midgate closed the bed is the same length as the short bed 1500 crew cabs at about 5'6". So basicly if you never even mess with the midgate you have the same hauling capacity as the crew cab. Second is that you have the cargo covers over that area. So the 99% of the time that I am not hauling large items that require the removal of the covers I have a huge waterproof, lockable trunk.

Now I decide to go down to the local Home Depot to pick up some drywall or 2x4s or plywood or all three. I check out roll my supplies out of the store just as a thunderstorm lets loose. In that crew cab truck you are scrambling for a tarp and rope to tie down with, have to fold down the tailgate and still have 1 ft of material hanging out the back. With my Avy I flip the rear seats and midgate down slide everything in and close the tailgate. Everything stays nice and dry inside.

Also in the everyday driving the Avy rides and drives much nicer than the truck. Has a little added weight in the back so you don't get that light rear end that you do with the truck.

As said above if you are hauling large items (that stick above the bed rails) multiple times a week then a crew cab truck is probably a better choice. If not then I think the Avy gives a lot more versitility and is a much better choice.

I'd almost think you were the advertising agent for the truck....You had me at ....I'll try...;)

Ric
05-11-2007, 03:59 PM
:quote: Originally Posted by BrianM

:quote:

I brag the same way about my panel van

Archimedes
05-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Ridgeline looks great but is it a 4 door SUV with a bed, or an extended cab truck with 4 doors.

I know I'm in on this late but I really don't see a whole lot of difference 'tween the two. It's just preference and what you are going to use it for.

I LOVE my Pathfinder but if I was going to haul wood and a ton of other stuff a P/U would be the choice.

Y'know??

The issue is ride quality. The Avalanche is designed as a Suburban with a pickup bed, not a pick up with a nicer interior, and the ride quality is much better than a pickup. If you compare the crew cab Chevy PU to the Avalanche, you will see that they are very different animals. Different strokes for different folks.

IMO, the Avalanche is targeted at someone who would likely buy a Tahoe or a Suburban, but also often needs the bed of a pickup truck. I don't see it as a truck targeted at or typically bought by the classic PU truck owner who just wants a nice interior.

As far as the Ridgeline goes, I test drove it twice when I was looking and it's a nice little truck, but I felt it was underpowered/equipped for towing anthing but a small ski boat well and the fit/finish was pretty basic for the money compared to the other options out there. My X-1 loaded up on a tandem trailer would be too much for that truck on anything but a short tow.

TX.X-30 fan
05-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Oops............

Workin' 4 Toys
05-11-2007, 04:17 PM
I brag the same way about my panel van
Hey Rachel, was that 2 wheel drive, 4X4, or AWD?

ProTour X9
05-11-2007, 05:25 PM
I just want to say one thing: Real trucks don't have spark plugs.