PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Level & Engine bogging down and stalling

Tim205
05-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Curious if any of you notice sluggishness and occasional stalling at a low fuel level. I only have 12 hours on the boat (205V, MCX) and am still "getting to know it." I have had two occasions with low fuel and some boggging down at higher power, and then stalling at idle. When I visually check the tank (near center drain plug compartment) it appears that there is 2" - 4" of fuel in the tank. My assumption would have been that the in-tank pump would mitigate this type of problem? I normally don't make a habit of running near empty, but am trying to understand the nature of this issue. If any of you have experienced this please let me know, and I will top it off and stop worrying! Thanks!

PS - Do any of you add sta-bil and/or iso-heat as a normal course of action when fueling?

Thanks, Tim

TMCNo1
05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
At low fuel level the little fuel that is in the tank may be moving to another area of the tank away from the pickup due to wave action, acceleration, turning, etc. and is starving the pickup of fuel. If it's a EFI electric pump in the tank, that can also create a dry impeller problem and damage the pump.
Normally, fuel stabalizers are used during the off season layup period to keep the fuel from going stale. Using fuel and refueling during the active boating season keeps it fresh.

onewheat
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
I had the same issue Sunday with my new X-15. I had about 11 hours on it. It stalled while idling in a cove several times. It would restart with extended cranking though. When I looked at the tank, mine looked like it had about 4 inches of fuel showing in the rear. Luckily, I had a friend's house nearby with a 5 gallon can of fuel to borrow. My fuel gauge was showing 3/8 of a tank too. Like you, I am learning about the boat and am wondering if I now need to fill when the gauge shows 1/2 tank.

What level was your gauge showing?

06' X-2 R8R H8R
05-09-2007, 12:03 AM
My tank never goes below 1/2. Its a good habit to get into for peace of mind.

Storm861triple
05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
w/4" of fuel in the tank, it should NEVER stall while idling. TMCNo1 is right that at speed, if you turn, etc, fuel can slosh inside the tank, causing the pump to starve for fuel and the engine to bog/die. MC doesn't put enough (or any) baffles in the tank, so this CAN be an issue.

At idle, however, w/4" of fuel, your pump should NEVER be "high and dry". You have another problem. You or your dealer needs to attach a fuel pressure guage, run the boat, and observe FP when the symptom occurs. That's step 1 in diagnosing your issue.

-Tom