PDA

View Full Version : Ballast in rear seat???

87MCProstar
05-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I had an idea over the weekend about making an aftermarket seat made of plastic like our gas tanks, with provisions to attach normal seat covers too. I figured for us older boat owners it would give us a better choice than the inflatable rear seats that a couple different companies currently make. I also you would be able to make the inlet capable of attaching any of the filler pumps that you use to fill fat sacs. Is this a vaiable idea or not worth pursuing??

justinlkgb
05-07-2007, 10:31 AM
seems like it would be a great idea.
Do you plan to make this out of a plastic?
Seat covers, is this going to make it comforatable?
EST $$$$$???
I would be interested...if it works. I could test :D :D

Jwhitsett1129
05-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Let me know how it turns out. I thought about doing something similar by building a wooden seat with an open frame and putting a ballast sack in it. I then planned to have it upholstered to match the interior. After some tentative planning I figured up that there wouldn't be room for enough weight to really justify the project.

Esiegert
05-07-2007, 12:20 PM
We have done some custom madde ballast systems over the years. Here are some pictures of a rear ballast on a 2001 Prostar 209. We used to buy the tanks from a supplier, carpet them with MC Carpet and use ballast pumps to fill and empty.

Harvey
05-07-2007, 02:34 PM
I think that you could do this, and I think it would be a really nice way to gain ballast and comfort. However, I think the cost would be so great that it would be more efficient to buy a fat seat and just use it.

To gain a fair amount of ballast you are likely going to have to have the tank custom built which will not be cheap. Another issue would be trying to maximize the tanks capacity and then getting the tank in and out of the boat when needed.

87MCProstar
05-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I figured the tank would be the seat, so you would fill and empty it as needed just like in the X7. I would think the first prototype would be costly but when a form was made i think prices would come down. I don't a new plastic gas tank is all that expensive is it?? It was just an idea that has been floating through my cluttered mind the last few days.