PDA

View Full Version : late model design boo boos

rstitson
05-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Starting this thread to give new owners an opportunity to give feed back on design issues they run accross. Not intended to trash mastercraft just to point out the issues we run into. I'll start with the first one. We have the tower cover. On the trailer fenders there are little chrome square eyelets on the fenders that allow you to cinch down the cover... By the way the cover is great.... but the eyelets are too small you can get the buckle through if you take the strap off but with the added width of the strap you can not loop the buckle through to cinch it up!!! Every time you have to take the buckle off and re-thread it on the strap after you have passed the strap through. Just an eight or maybe even a 16th bigger and it would fit... I am looking for a bigger piece that will fit in the same holes. How about mastercraft finding some for us???

dmayer84
05-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Dont have the trailer bunks cover the raw water intake.

TMCNo1
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Starting this thread to give new owners an opportunity to give feed back on design issues they run accross. Not intended to trash mastercraft just to point out the issues we run into. I'll start with the first one. We have the tower cover. On the trailer fenders there are little chrome square eyelets on the fenders that allow you to cinch down the cover... By the way the cover is great.... but the eyelets are too small you can get the buckle through if you take the strap off but with the added width of the strap you can not loop the buckle through to cinch it up!!! Every time you have to take the buckle off and re-thread it on the strap after you have passed the strap through. Just an eight or maybe even a 16th bigger and it would fit... I am looking for a bigger piece that will fit in the same holes. How about mastercraft finding some for us???

Replace the little screw on flat clip with a small S/S boweye that has a S/S baseplate and use one of the clip holes as a pilot hole and drill another for the little boweye and the baseplate will cover up the unused hole. I also placed one on the trailer frame below the windshield for the front strap on the cover. then I Plasti-Coted a S hook and placed them on the cover straps so I never have to undo the straps, just hook then or unhook then without running the straps thru the eyelets. Boweye is on the front flat of the trailer fender next to the "do not lift decal". I will post a better picture if needed.

rstitson
05-07-2007, 04:33 PM
nice re-engineering with the ss bow eyes. I definitly will be looking into doing something of the same after season is over.

wakescene
05-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I have a ton of these for MC, but the one that irked me the most was that the bilge pump was originally located in the rear of the boat mounted to the stringer. Why not place the bilge pump in the area of the center plug not the rear of the boat. The center plug is the lowest area of the bilge hence the area that collects water first. In the original location it took almost 4.5" of water till the auto bilge kicked in. Way to much water for my taste, especially since I am in saltwater.

I relocated mine to the center plug area and now if I have water in the boat, it takes about 2" and the pump kicks in, and lowers everything to about a 1/2".

dmayer84
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I have a ton of these for MC, but the one that irked me the most was that the bilge pump was originally located in the rear of the boat mounted to the stringer. Why not place the bilge pump in the area of the center plug not the rear of the boat. The center plug is the lowest area of the bilge hence the area that collects water first. In the original location it took almost 4.5" of water till the auto bilge kicked in. Way to much water for my taste, especially since I am in saltwater.

I relocated mine to the center plug area and now if I have water in the boat, it takes about 2" and the pump kicks in, and lowers everything to about a 1/2".

I have one in the center and one in the rear.

rodltg2
05-09-2007, 02:06 PM
what about a redesign for the 197 trailer??? RIC!

jmac197
05-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Gas vent for the 02+ 197. I can't put gas in at the pump without gas flowing out the vent and onto the boat when the tank approaches full.

I know I know someone will say, just go slow near the end. Well there is no warning, I used to be able to listen and tell when the tank got full then slow it down.

TX.X-30 fan
05-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Dont have the trailer bunks cover the raw water intake.

RIC..................... 8p 8p

ProTour X9
05-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Gas vent for the 02+ 197. I can't put gas in at the pump without gas flowing out the vent and onto the boat when the tank approaches full.

I know I know someone will say, just go slow near the end. Well there is no warning, I used to be able to listen and tell when the tank got full then slow it down.

Yeah I second that, an X9 does it too.

rstitson
05-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Here is another one. The captains seat on a x-15 can only swivel about 45 degrees. If the seat was more streamline and the arm rest modified a bit then the seat could swing 120 degrees allowing conversation etc. Definitly a ergonomics, useablity issue.

BCBlazers
05-10-2007, 12:07 AM
yep, my 04 X2 does it too...

shepherd
05-10-2007, 12:12 AM

I had the same problem with my '90 PS190 so it's not an 02+ issue. In fact, it's a common problem with many boats. My '87 Formula and '92 Stingray had the same problems.

vegashomeexpert
05-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Here is another one. The captains seat on a x-15 can only swivel about 45 degrees. If the seat was more streamline and the arm rest modified a bit then the seat could swing 120 degrees allowing conversation etc. Definitly a ergonomics, useablity issue.
Second that for the X-30.

Leroy
05-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Third that for my Maristar 230. Was told it would swivel around but never could get it to.
Second that for the X-30.

Cover design that absolutely will not hold water.

Non maring plastic for the boat buddy.

Have the center plug built with warning also. Only rear has warning alarm.

duckguy
05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
My favorite is my 06 tower clamps wont swivel around with a wakeboard in it cause the binding hits on the tower leg. Did MC not ever use this feature before production.

dmayer84
05-11-2007, 10:30 PM
My favorite is my 06 tower clamps wont swivel around with a wakeboard in it cause the binding hits on the tower leg. Did MC not ever use this feature before production.

What if you have the bindings on the outside?

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-11-2007, 10:52 PM
My request is based on older models ('02 and '04), but I 'really don't like' ( 8p ) the thought of the intake fuel pump/filter assembly IN the gas tank...especially if the filters are supposed to be serviced every 100hrs.

I must admit that all of this 'displeasure' to date comes from my experience with a GM automobile, but the MC concept is the same.

I get that " :( " feeling everytime a buddy with a different mfg mentions something about unscrewing his fuel/water filter/separator.

JohnnyB
05-12-2007, 02:30 PM
My request is based on older models ('02 and '04), but I 'really don't like' ( 8p ) the thought of the intake fuel pump/filter assembly IN the gas tank...especially if the filters are supposed to be serviced every 100hrs.

I must admit that all of this 'displeasure' to date comes from my experience with a GM automobile, but the MC concept is the same.

I get that " :( " feeling everytime a buddy with a different mfg mentions something about unscrewing his fuel/water filter/separator.

The filter is actually very easy to change as long as your tank is near-empty....wouldn't want to do it with a full tank!

Ric
05-12-2007, 02:35 PM
what about a redesign for the 197 trailer??? RIC! hi hi, sorry I'm late, I musta been napping

Yep, redesign the 190/197 trailer. A world record towboat should be on a world record trailer.. God knows I don't ask ya for much!

emnesto
05-12-2007, 04:36 PM
How about larger openings in the cover for pop-up cleats. It's almost impossible to raise them for overnight docking. I have an '06 X-45, but I bet it is common to many models.

emnesto
05-12-2007, 06:52 PM
On the '06 X-45, the cup holder fro the captain is under the right side of the seat.

2QWICK
05-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Deck drain plug in the bow. We park our x30 in the driveway... which naturally is down hill. When backing the boat in the bow is lower then the stern so when washing all the water collects in the front of the boat. If I can get the water into the bildge it makes it out the center plug... but i have to "move" it to the back of the boat before that can happen.

onewheat
05-13-2007, 01:28 PM

I thought we had the same problem on our X-15. If you move the seat slide slightly forward on the track, you can rotate the seat clockwise and have it face the rear for conversation, flashing, sunbathing or whatever. The tilt wheel also may come into play depending on how far down you have it tilted down.

rstitson
05-13-2007, 08:42 PM
onewheat. Tried that. Guess I'll try again. Is yours a 2007?. I known my seat is kind of fat in the back. Thanks for the advice would be nice if it works for me. OH!!! i didn't try clock wise. Makes sence.

onewheat
05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Yep, '07 and it only worked clockwise.

jmmcalpin
05-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Yes, the 2004 Xstar has poor gas veniting too and overflows everytime, even if you go slow. Any ideas how to properly vent?

jmmcalpin
05-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Yes, the 2004 Xstar has poor gas veniting too and overflows everytime, even if you go slow. Any ideas how to properly vent?

dougau
05-28-2007, 09:25 AM
X2 '06 has the same problem with gas overflowing when you fill up

dmayer84
05-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Every boat I have ever used will overflow with gas if you dont slow down towards the end. :twocents:

JohnE
05-30-2007, 08:36 PM
My driver side cupholder makes my beer bottle tilt a little. :mad: It is perfectly suited for cans with my new MC of Charlotte Koozie's, :D but bottles are a little skewed.;)

TMCNo1
05-30-2007, 09:02 PM
My driver side cupholder makes my beer bottle tilt a little. It is perfectly suited for cans with my new MC of Charlotte Koozie's, :D but bottles are a little skewed.

It may be heavy on one side, try drinking out of the other side of the bottle to balance it out!!!!!!!:rolleyes: 8p :D

John, you know I had to do it!

JKTX21
05-30-2007, 09:10 PM

My boat has this problem real bad, sloshes fuel all over the place when full.

My solution is to put a fuel filter in-line on the vent line OR make the vent hose longer and put a loop in it so the fuel must travel uphill in order to make it outside the boat.

Doug G
05-30-2007, 10:04 PM
I love my boat and I love MC. If I could whisper in the design guys ears I would say
1. put a standard hookup / mount for an MP3/Ipod cable and 12v outlet in the area where it would be used. By the driver I have a 12v but need a 12 mile cable to hook it up. I prefer the passengers are in charge of tunes, driver has enough to do. We run the cable out the observer seat and use up a cup holder for the I pod but no 12v for it. The glove box isn't really an option cuz your always playing with the Ipod.

2. Hinge the seat opposite the cooler seat.

3. Keep the maintenance stuff accessible. It's the little things like that BIG HONKING HUNK OF A MUFFLER IN FRONT OF THE RAW WATER PUMP that are slightly frustrating.

4. And most importantly PUT A COVER ON THE THING THAT IS SUNBRELLA AND DOESN"T POOL!!!!!!!!!!! (whispered gently of course) My one year old boat cover s$$cks like a whole bunch of others and I shouldn't have to drop $500 - $1000 to fix it.

I Second the boat buddy and tower racks. I have to bend my factions down when they are in the top slot and yes they are bindings out.

JohnE
05-30-2007, 10:33 PM
It may be heavy on one side, try drinking out of the other side of the bottle to balance it out!!!!!!!:rolleyes: 8p :D

John, you know I had to do it!

It's not as bad as I made it out to be. I just take a big sip out before I put it in the holder. Really, why on earth would anyone put a FULL beer in the holder anyway?! I drink it down at least to where my new Koozie keeps it cold.;)

Vegas X-Star
06-02-2007, 05:13 PM
yep, my 04 X2 does it too...

My 2005 X-Star spews gas 75% of the time...not cool.

jsnipes
06-02-2007, 06:07 PM
My 2006 X15 does NOT spew gas. I can fill as fast as the pump will go and it stays dry. I was surprised ... every other boat I've ever had (all non MC) spewed gas.

It also has a 12V and iPod input at the driver, which I like.

I second the problem with rotating the racks with a board on the top slot ... the binding hits the tower. I think I can live with this "flaw" and just lean out to get the top one like "everyone else" has to do anyway. <grin>

Love my X15!!

JS

JohnnyB
06-02-2007, 09:13 PM
My driver side cupholder makes my beer bottle tilt a little. :mad: It is perfectly suited for cans with my new MC of Charlotte Koozie's, :D but bottles are a little skewed.;)

Would a 40oz bottle solve this issue? :cool:

6ballsisall
06-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I havent gone back to look hard and see if it's been posted yet but the trailers on the 197's/X7's really blow. It sure isn't any special sand either (right Ric?? :D ) the bunks weren't designed well to line up w/ the underside of the boat.

All that said, if we didn't have the health issue w/ our unborn I'd be in a new 197 for this season once again.

rstitson
06-03-2007, 08:43 AM
My x-15 doesn't spew gas either.... it was a pleasant surprises as our last boat did all the time

JohnE
06-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Would a 40oz bottle solve this issue? :cool:

Actually the cupholder is only suitable for a can. Anything taller hits the side which tapers at an angle. Hence the bottle tips.

Problem with the 40 is that it won't fit in my koozie.:D

bigmac
06-03-2007, 10:36 AM
3. Keep the maintenance stuff accessible. It's the little things like that BIG HONKING HUNK OF A MUFFLER IN FRONT OF THE RAW WATER PUMP that are slightly frustrating.

http://mccollister.info/gifs/Plus1.gif !!!

That falls under the category of "what the he!! were they thinking?" IMHO. Upper exhaust hose = 3 inches shorter + lower exhaust hose 3 inches longer = happy boat mechanic. In fairness, it's no longer a problem with current V-drives in which the Silentmaster has been eliminated altogether, but I draw little comfort from that every time I perform basic annual maintenance on my particular boat. At least MasterCraft provided good access back there by having the two removable side panels in each rear side compartment. Those poor Malibu buggers have to be even more of a contortionist than a MasterCraft owner.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpclearance.jpg

sully
06-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Here is my list of things I would like looked at.
#1 Can not get a ski in the floor ski locker :confused:
#2 no mid-ship cleats, had to pay to get those added
#3 no center roller on the trailer, boat hits trailer cross member no matter how far you put in the water.
#4 wake plate should be a standard feature.
#5 y-adapter for heater should be standard feature.
#6 Bimini top wobbles side to side alot when not up.

List of things that are great.
#1 Extra storage in back compartments
#2 Access to engine is allot better
#3 larger swim platform is great.
#4 Transom tie offs under platform are great.
I have lot more things I really like about this boat, really to many to list.

tex
06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Mine holds cans just fine-No bottles on the water!

JohnE
06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Mine holds cans just fine-No bottles on the water!

I was waiting for someone to say that. How about those nice Coors Light plastic bottles?

tex
06-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I was waiting for someone to say that. How about those nice Coors Light plastic bottles?
That works just fine-Fix those cupholders! I am a Miller man!

ProTour X9
06-03-2007, 07:35 PM
oh i though of one.........MP3 jack in glove box w/ radio........but I think they have that for '07:confused: :confused: :o

JohnE
06-03-2007, 07:50 PM
I am a Miller man!

My condolonces.:( ..................:D

tex
06-03-2007, 07:52 PM
I stopped drinking Coors Light in middle school!

LakePirate
06-03-2007, 09:00 PM

Tough Guy .

rstitson
06-04-2007, 12:32 AM
sully, what is a y-adapter for the heater? Haven't noticed hitting center member on trailer.... seems to slide on the bunks well. I will have to look at that. I have an x-15 2007, I wonder if the trailers are the same.. You would think so.

Yellow X9
06-04-2007, 05:19 PM

I'll 3rd that aswell, I now keep an visual on the tank itself when filling up. Got tierd of wearing gas

tex
06-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Tough Guy .
Thanks for noticing.

JKTX21
06-04-2007, 05:41 PM

Good, more for me.

onewheat
06-04-2007, 11:51 PM
oh i though of one.........MP3 jack in glove box w/ radio........but I think they have that for '07:confused: :confused: :o

MP3 jack is still next to the driver on my '07. I just put in the ipod interface so now the ipod is in the glove box anyway, but I can still control it from the driver's seat or the transom remote.

My X-15 also does not puke whlle filling fuel. Fill until it clicks off a couple of times and still nothing. Is that due to having a fill on both sides of the boat, making the vent area larger, or possibly due to the higher sides and there fore the distance the fuel would have to rise in the vent tube longer?:confused: Dunno why, just glad I don't have to deal with spilled fuel every time I fill.

sully
06-05-2007, 05:49 PM
rstitson,
It is actually called a y-fitting, sorry for the confusion.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H423

Attached are pictures of how close the boat is to the trailer.
If the angle is not just right I would hit the trailer during loading.
You can see the attachment I added to the trailer to protect the boat.

rstitson
06-05-2007, 08:08 PM
sully,

I will have to check that out when I get mine back from the 10-20 hour checkup. As I guide the boat on and winch it I don't think I have hit it yet. I have noticed the heater doesn't push much of anything at idle. Assume this will reduce the back pressure allowing for more flow.

skeeler
07-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I have a few suggestions in the area of the ballast system on the '07 line-up . So here is the very short list; I would really like to see the ballast drain out the side like the previous models, rather then below. Why? I want to SEE the water draining out so I know the system is working properly, and that the ballast is not having timing issues. Which brings me to point two, lose the timers. I understand it is a fail safe so you do not leave them on, but I having some problems with timing out issues on the factory ballast set-up. It may fill fine at times, but may drain half way and time out at times, or vise versa. And they have been calibrated a few times. Just a thought.....love the new X-2 though!!!

André
07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Just coming back from the course with partner's boat,06 197.
There is no strap or loop to open the ski locker doors.You have to squeeze your finger in between the 2 cushions and grap it from underneath.
Royal pain in the arse to open...:mad:

Make me beleive that no one ski at MC!!!

sully
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Wouldn't be nice if they were hinged on the oppisite sides and opened toward the center of boat. This would allow you to open them from the dock (or ground if on the trailer ) so you could place items in without having to put them in the boat or the swim platform first.

H20BOY
07-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Any suggestions on getting the ballast guages to be accurate.

Flowcontrol
07-29-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm getting some strange readings from the gauges as well. I know any remaining water in the ballast sloshing around could give a false reading. But when I'm sitting still at the launch waiting for my hitch, the gauges are still sometimes half to a quarter full, after the pump times out. My resolve has been to simply restart the pump again. Is this the best way to go about dumping the remaining ballast?

rstitson
07-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Mine is the same they seem to get stuck at about 1/8 until I startup and accelerate after which they go to zero.

Michael Epp
07-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Please add a stainless steel plate above bow hook to prevent boat buddy from scratching the gel coat. Other manufacturers of high end boats (e.g. Cobalt) have done this.

I don't like the metal guide clips on the seat cushions (X-15). A person unfamiliar with these clips could easily drive them into a seat cushion when removing to gain access to storage.

Sirius radio will not "link" with antenna located beneath the hull.

sully
07-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Michael,
I agree about the seat clips, would like to see them hinged instead. I believe they are on the 230/X30.
Has anyone else noticed the fiberglass wearing off where the seat cushions rest on. If so does anyone have a cure?

Ryan27r
08-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Spots to fuel on both sides on the 04 X9 dont know if this was fixxed for 05+...

H20skeefreek
08-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Michael,

You can buy this at West Marine. It's called the bow-buster, it's a piece of thin, flexible SS with backing tape on it. It's not expensive.

H20skeefreek
08-01-2007, 07:36 AM
oops.........double post

ProTour X9
08-01-2007, 08:22 AM
MP3 jack is still next to the driver on my '07. I just put in the ipod interface so now the ipod is in the glove box anyway, but I can still control it from the driver's seat or the transom remote.

What is the interface?, an input for the cord? I was just thinking about getting a longer cord so people aren't behind me or in front of me trying to change a song.

Flowcontrol
08-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't like the metal guide clips on the seat cushions (X-15). A person unfamiliar with these clips could easily drive them into a seat cushion when removing to gain access to storage.

Epp,

I have simply removed the metal clip from the seat. Currently I'm working with the dealer here to add one of the light gray plastic rectangular pieces to take its place. This should do the trick.

Fred

SoCalBrew
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Beware of removing the clip and then trailering your boat at high speeds = the cushion could fly out. The metal clip under the cushion has been really frustrating... it has chipped away at my gelcoat on the inside... and I've had to repair it. I've attached a thin piece of clear plexi... kind of as a bumper... it is so thin that it doesn't catch, and strong so the gel won't chip. But, hinges would be great. Then, the plastic blocks in the front wouldn't break from too much pressure...

ttu
08-23-2007, 06:55 PM
socalbrew, can you send me a pic of what you have done with the plexiglass.

i already have a chip out under the cushion behind the drivers seat.

SoCalBrew
08-24-2007, 01:33 AM
ttu... will do as soon as i get it back from service... just a few little things here and there...