PDA

View Full Version : Help with transmission fluid change

mattlee78
05-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. This forum looks really great, I'm glad I found it.

I have a 2000 Mastercraft X-Star, with a 5.7L Indmar engine. Water got into my transmission during my first day in the water this season, so I have flushed out the bad fluid and replaced it with 4 quarts of fresh fluid. I drained the transmission through the pipe leading to the filter, instead of draining from the dipstick opening (my mechanic recommended this). I also cleaned the filter and replaced it.

My problem now is that I can't get that filter cover back in place. It's a compression fitting, but it's such a tight fit. It was really difficult to open it in the first place. Does anyone have a good technique or recommended tool for getting this filter cover back in place?

vogelm1
05-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Got nothin', but will give you a bump to keep your thread going....

ProTour X9
05-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Got nothin', but will give you a bump to keep your thread going....

Oh thats what a bump is...............what 5.7L engine, or was there only one at the time?

mattlee78
05-06-2007, 09:40 PM
I figured it out... the compression fitting wasn't fully released, which would explain the hell of a time I had getting the thing removed from the transmission. I took the cover home, put it in a vise, and used the allen wrench and a significant amount of force to loosen the compression fitting. Then it was easy to put back in the transmission and tighten in place.

If you're curious, the transmission is a ZF Hurth 630vi v-drive.

Thanks everyone!

east tx skier
05-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Welcome!

Does the Hurth really take 4 qts? Not trying to be contrary. I've got a BW, and it won't hold more than 1.75 qts.

mattlee78
05-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Does the Hurth really take 4 qts? Not trying to be contrary. I've got a BW, and it won't hold more than 1.75 qts.

Actually, according to the manual, it takes 4.2 quarts. My mechanic says 4 quarts is good enough. I'm starting to worry when my mechanic says "good enough"...

The manual lists a few other ZF transmissions - fluid capacity ranges from 1.91 quarts for the HSW 250A all the way up to 7.4 quarts for the HSW 800V1.