PDA

View Full Version : Refinished Teak Platform :)

theDano
05-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi All,

I am not one to boast but I am very excited of what I have accomplished with my teak platform and thought I would share and hopefully inspire someone to do the same.

It has taken me quite along time but it is completely finshed today. Thanks to Harold's PDF that he wrote up and the pictures of his teak that inspired me to try to get mine to look as good (of course we all know this is impossible ;) ). I followed his directions to the "T" (well almost)......all the way to 2000 grit and applying the last coat with "me" little fingers. I used 8 different grits of sandpaper (100, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, & 2000) 5 coats of oil and I even washed it with soap and water after sanding between the coats of oil.

I had it down to a science after I had finished using the 320 as to how long it would take to sand by hand the entire platform (every crook & craney), let dry, and apply a coat of oil. I think my neighbors thought I was crazy out there for many weekends sanding away which looked to them to be doing the same thing over and over and over.....I even got out of mowing the lawn for 2 weekends thanks to my wife 8p .....that should be put in the PDF as a possible outcomes of refinishing your teak! :D

I have never worked with wood and was a little intimidated when beginning this project but Harold's directions were "right on"! I can't wait to put it on the boat to see how it looks on her.

Before and after pictures to follow.....

Thanks Harold!!!!!!

milkmania
05-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi All,

I am not one to boast but I am very excited of what I have accomplished with my teak platform and thought I would share and hopefully inspire someone to do the same.

It has taken me quite along time but it is completely finshed today. Thanks to Harold's PDF that he wrote up and the pictures of his teak that inspired me to try to get mine to look as good (of course we all know this is impossible ;) ). I followed his directions to the "T" (well almost)......all the way to 2000 grit and applying the last coat with "me" little fingers. I used 8 different grits of sandpaper (100, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, & 2000) 5 coats of oil and I even washed it with soap and water after sanding between the coats of oil.

I had it down to a science after I had finished using the 320 as to how long it would take to sand by hand the entire platform (every crook & craney), let dry, and apply a coat of oil. I think my neighbors thought I was crazy out there for many weekends sanding away which looked to them to be doing the same thing over and over and over.....I even got out of mowing the lawn for 2 weekends thanks to my wife 8p .....that should be put in the PDF as a possible outcomes of refinishing your teak! :D

I have never worked with wood and was a little intimidated when beginning this project but Harold's directions were "right on"! I can't wait to put it on the boat to see how it looks on her.

Before and after pictures to follow.....

Thanks Harold!!!!!!

congrats!

btw, there's other things I'd rather get the wife to do, but that's a whole other can of worms:rolleyes:

theDano
05-06-2007, 09:13 AM
before pics......

Ooops ....sorry you will have to open each individually.

theDano
05-06-2007, 09:17 AM
after.........

theDano
05-06-2007, 09:18 AM
after..............

theDano
05-06-2007, 09:19 AM
after............

theDano
05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
and lastly...............

TMCNo1
05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I don't deserve all the credit for the article.
MasterCraft called me asking how I got my teak platform to look like it does and then wrote the article and placed on the site for owners to use if they were interested.
You guys do all the work as a result of the article and it shows!
This procedure is not for everyone and results will vary with water, sun exposure, abuse, especially boats left in the water or constantly exposed to the elements 24/7. But, it is better than some other products that wash off/bleed/leech the oils that are applied or nothing at all.

duckguy
05-06-2007, 10:42 AM
That looks awsome!

SkiDog
05-06-2007, 10:54 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbd01
05-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I want one of those in my living room:D

tbd01
05-06-2007, 11:34 AM
would love to stay and chat but Ive got to go refinish my platform, thanks for the motivation:D

theDano
05-06-2007, 12:25 PM
TBD01....If you start now, you should be done by supper time :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
05-06-2007, 02:37 PM

Go to the head of the graduating line to get your diploma, you are now the Valiteaktorium and will graduate with Honors!

shepherd
05-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I want one of those in my living room:D

That is beautiful Dano. That would look good in my den as well.

Great job!

BrianM
05-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Looks great. Didn't look all that bad before. Put a couple of coats of the Johnson Wax on it for a little something extra....... not like it really needs it though.

theDano
05-06-2007, 05:39 PM
thanks all :)

Yah Brian, it wasn't too bad but you can see in one of the before pics that the previous owner started to sand and decided that it was going to be way too much work or got scared and stopped and just but some oil on it and called it a day. Unfortunately, it left a light/dark/light/dark/.... pattern on the big board. The bottom looked pretty bad to me as well. I wanted to enjoy the boat for the 1st season and give it "love" over the winter.

It is completely dry today and I have a question for someone who might know...... some boards will be really shiney and some do not have any shine to them. Will this even out if I apply the furniture polish as Harold talk about in the PDF? If it gets wet then all looks good and shiney but when totally dry then I get this uneven finish persay.

O yah Harold....I don't wanna hear that I forgot a critical step back at step 1 where if you don't do it juuuuusssssst right you will get an uneven finish at the end. :)

Should you use Johnson Wax as you mentioned or is funiture polish better like pledge or something????

Any thoughts?

TMCNo1
05-06-2007, 06:55 PM
thanks all :)

Yah Brian, it wasn't too bad but you can see in one of the before pics that the previous owner started to sand and decided that it was going to be way too much work or got scared and stopped and just but some oil on it and called it a day. Unfortunately, it left a light/dark/light/dark/.... pattern on the big board. The bottom looked pretty bad to me as well. I wanted to enjoy the boat for the 1st season and give it "love" over the winter.

It is completely dry today and I have a question for someone who might know...... some boards will be really shiney and some do not have any shine to them. Will this even out if I apply the furniture polish as Harold talk about in the PDF? If it gets wet then all looks good and shiney but when totally dry then I get this uneven finish persay.

O yah Harold....I don't wanna hear that I forgot a critical step back at step 1 where if you don't do it juuuuusssssst right you will get an uneven finish at the end. :)

Should you use Johnson Wax as you mentioned or is funiture polish better like pledge or something????

Any thoughts?

The different colors of teak are also different hardness and different grain density. Over time you will see some grain lightly return to the finish, but a light sanding with 2000 and hand application of oil will fill in the grain.
Any kind of wax will work as long as the oil/sealer/preserver is DRY, or it can melt it, but I prefer a carnuba paste and I remove it as soon as I apply, so it won't turn white in the slat joints and grain. Don't force it in the slats, just rub the surface and remove, you'll spread it around enough. I use Pledge mostly for boat judging at reunions and travel, but it will wash off from rain or in the water use. Don't forgret to lightly wash the platform down with mineral spirits before sanding and oil reapplication or any wax may fisheye or reject the new oil.

theDano
05-06-2007, 07:33 PM
thx H!

Well that is what I did at the end.....sanded with 2000 grit and hand applied the oil but i still bet shiney areas and dull areas. I thought maybe the 2000 might remove them but it didn't. Do you think the dull areas need more sanding? :( ugh Of course when I am wet sanding it is impossible to tell where the dull areas are.

What is the name of the wax you use Harold? Since I haven't officially received my diploma yet, I do not want to put it's delivery in jeopardy by purchasing some renegade brand that you midght find offense ;)

TMCNo1
05-06-2007, 08:45 PM
thx H!

Well that is what I did at the end.....sanded with 2000 grit and hand applied the oil but i still bet shiney areas and dull areas. I thought maybe the 2000 might remove them but it didn't. Do you think the dull areas need more sanding? :( ugh Of course when I am wet sanding it is impossible to tell where the dull areas are.

What is the name of the wax you use Harold? Since I haven't officially received my diploma yet, I do not want to put it's delivery in jeopardy by purchasing some renegade brand that you midght find offense ;)

I still have some Meguiars #16 pure paste wax that has been removed from the market because of the California CARB laws, but any non-silicone carnuba paste will do!

Monte
05-06-2007, 09:00 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd that... Good job Dano:cool:

WAT8415
05-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Nice job Dano!

BrianM
05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I used the plain Jahnosn Paste Wax in the yellow and red can. Should be able to pick it up at most any hardware store. It evened out a wfew of the dull spots for me.

trickskier
05-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Nice work.............Looks GREAT!!!

theDano
05-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys for the tips on the wax.....I bought "Mothers" with the Carnuba in it. Helped a little but didn't quite get rid of the dull spots. Maybe next year they will go away when I put a couple more coats of oil and light sand in between. Attached is the final result with the platform on my boat ready to hit the lake tomorrow.

Doesn't look too shabby....

Vegas X-Star
05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Beautiful work...looks like a fine piece of furniture.

Bruce
05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Great Job. Aw th pride of doing it right is almost a lost art!. My looked great for awhile but after hanging on the back of the boat it is now the "classic grey". Boat cover is not long enough to cover the platform. Does anyone make a separate cover for the platform?

theDano
05-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I am sure there is some kind of cover out there. I take mine off every time only because it won't fit in the garage with it on. I am in process of mounting it on the wall of the garage. Is that an option for you to remove it after a day on the lake? Assuming you store your boat somewhere other than at home.

DooSPX
05-14-2007, 06:27 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job theDano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce
05-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I am sure there is some kind of cover out there. I take mine off every time only because it won't fit in the garage with it on. I am in process of mounting it on the wall of the garage. Is that an option for you to remove it after a day on the lake? Assuming you store your boat somewhere other than at home.

The problem is it stays in a slip in my backyard hanging in straps . So, too awkward to take on and of. Unfortunately the platform sticks out beyond the roof line.

beatle78
05-15-2007, 08:35 AM
guys, here is a guy who made an extension for his MC cover.... it cover the platoform :)

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16125&highlight=cover