PDA

View Full Version : Warming up a ps190

boyd
05-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Is it just my boat or does every ones take about 2-3 minutes to warm up before it will ride ? When I first start my boat on the ramp and let it run for 30-45 seconds and try to put it in gear it dies. It only does this at the start. Once it reaches 110 degrees or more it's fine. This is fine if no one is waiting for you to get off the ramp. But sometimes people are waiting. Does my carb choke need adjusting ? I've read several things on here about people not putting their boat in gear til it reaches operating temps. That takes several minutes and pisses off people waiting in line to launch.
DO you guys warm it up at home then drive to the lake etc...
What I've been doing is launching the boat, pushing it out into the current of the river and drifting for several minutes, then coming back and getting my wife and children.
Is this a common problem or just mine?
Thanks
Boyd
91 Prostar 190
434 hrs.

p,s. If you pull the pin to take the throttle out of gear and pulling the throttle in the reverse direction does this choke the carb.?

123src
05-06-2007, 01:43 AM
It usually takes my 92 205 at least 5 minutes to warm up at the boat ramp. Then it is fine for the rest of the day. Others will reply to this thread, but I am pretty sure this is normal. I remember ETS writing about this at some point... Did you try a search?

TI Skiier
05-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Yes you need to warm it up at the ramp. I had a 92 PS 190 and it was cold blooded. I usually took it to around 120 before pulling off of the trailer.

Wakeboy
05-06-2007, 02:28 AM
My ’90 PS 190 behaved similarly until I had the carb rebuilt. Now it’ll pull away find immediately upon start up. Granted, it does run better (smoother) if I let it warm up to 120 or so, but never dies. It generally is my practice to let it warm up regardless.

milkmania
05-06-2007, 02:45 AM
my 91 PS190 is not cold natured, but it does run out better after warming up:)

JKTX21
05-06-2007, 02:48 AM
I don't have a Windsor, but the first start of the day for the Craft usually takes a moment. It will crank about 3 times and then fire and I usually idle it a little higher for about 30 seconds or it will stumble when backing off the trailer.

My boat is happier WOT than early morning starts!

Leroy
05-06-2007, 03:23 AM
I know last year Hoosier Bob had to warm up his 93 PS190 for it to run well.

Who knows after the rebuild he has done this year! Maybe that is a thing of the past now.

TMCNo1
05-06-2007, 07:29 AM
It's just part of life with a carbed engine. The EFI engine are controlled by the computer and it is a lot easier to run earlier that with a carbed engine, but don't you warm up before exercising too!
When you pump the throttle and go to WOT before you start cranking when the engine is cold, it automatically sets the electric choke. As the engine warms up, the bi-metal coiled spring in the black choke housing expands and opens the choke as the engine warms to it's proper operating temperature. It can be adjusted, but only to increase the choke time and then your just opening up another can of worms.

T Scott
05-06-2007, 09:15 AM
If it is a big problem at your particular ramp, try warming up the boat at the house before you leave with a "Fake a Lake" or flush kit.

Also, what rpm does your boat idle at once warmed up? I used to have a 92 PS190 and I believe it idled at around 600-650 rpm at idle. If yours is slower than this, try bumping the idle up a bit to see if it helps.

TMCNo1
05-06-2007, 09:53 AM
According to my owners manual w/351, idle in neutral warmed up is 900rpm and in gear is 600-650rpm.
Lynn always sets in the water, away from the ramp waiting for me to come to the pier to get in the boat and has the throttle set at around 1100-1200rpm, checking the gauges, etc. then it's warm enough to pick me up w/o going dead, 140 degrees on the temp gauge, maybe 4 minutes then when we get beyond the no wake bouy, I give it the gas to take off and the choke comes off and she's happy and ready to gallop.

WTRSK1R
05-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I think this is completely normal. When I had my '92, what I used to do is pump it about 3 times, start it and let it run at about 1000 rpm for 30 seconds or a minute while I put the towels, and other gear that had ridden in the truck on the way to the lake in its appropriate places. I would then then pull off the trailer, and pop it back in neutral. Sometimes I needed to pull the pin and rev it back up once or twice to keep it running, but not always. I never watched the temp gauge to judge when it was good, did it more by feel and sound of the engine. I can tell you this, even with warming it up for 30 seconds or a minute I was still off the ramp and clear for other boaters faster then 90% of the other people there. Most of the time, we would have the truck on and off the ramp in a couple of minutes max since we were so used to trailering. I would bet that if you watch others around you, the same is probably true for you, and you are just very concious of the extra couple of minutes you are spending.:twocents:

Steve

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Another vote for a normal way the engine runs. My routine is to crank the lift down 'till the boat is in the water, pull the pin and pump the throttle 3 times and then fire it up. Then I head back to the house to get the gear and wake up my driver......sometimes firing up the boat serves this function. By the time we are ready, so is the boat. I'd say the usual warm up is close to 5 minutes.

JimN
05-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Is the flame arrestor clean? Have you watched/checked the choke to see if it's working properly? If it's not closing (to spec) with low temperatures, it will definitely have a hard time running cold.

JKT- 30 seconds isn't long enough to warm a motor to the point where it'll back off the trailer well. Give it a couple of minutes and it should be a lot better. At a launch, a couple of minutes should make most of them happy, since you aren't doing a tune-up on a busy Sunday afternoon, like some people.

MasterCrafting
05-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Pull the pin out, push it foward till it stops...that chokes it. My 92 ps 190 never has to warm up to be put into gear.

88 PS190
05-06-2007, 07:36 PM
mine runs fine once she's been on for about a minute she's ready to pull.

boyd
05-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks. I figured this was normal. But I wonder why. If my car did this I'd be very upset. It's a 351. I know the engine is different with the modifications. If I had to wait 5 minutes for my car to warm that wouldn't be right.
Thanks again.

boyd
05-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks. I figured this was normal. But I wonder why. If my car did this I'd be very upset. It's a 351. I know the engine is different with the modifications. If I had to wait 5 minutes for my car to warm that wouldn't be right.
Thanks again.

east tx skier
05-06-2007, 11:53 PM
It usually takes my 92 205 at least 5 minutes to warm up at the boat ramp. Then it is fine for the rest of the day. Others will reply to this thread, but I am pretty sure this is normal. I remember ETS writing about this at some point... Did you try a search?

The first couple of outings of the year, I have to do a little fast idle on the trailer before I can back off. But rarely is it more than 30 seconds before I can get away from the ramp. After that, I'll start it (usually hits with just a touch of the key), let it idle for a 10 count, and put it in reverse to get out of the way.

I will idle around for a few minutes while I wait for my boating partner to park the car. From there, I like to get it up to about 120 degrees before I go past idle speed. At this point, I'll take it up to about 2,500 rpm or so until it hits 160 degrees. I don't ski until it's gotten to 160.

Willski
05-07-2007, 12:04 AM
My boat is a little older, but I can't bck off the trailer until I run my boat for 3-5 minutes at about 1000 RPM. She is really cold blooded. I've heard that Holley's are though. If I have run it in the last week, it seams to be better, but that seems to have nothing to do with temp, but maybe fuel in the carbeurator bowl. Not sure if this helps.

east tx skier
05-07-2007, 12:15 AM
My boat is a little older, but I can't bck off the trailer until I run my boat for 3-5 minutes at about 1000 RPM. She is really cold blooded. I've heard that Holley's are though. If I have run it in the last week, it seams to be better, but that seems to have nothing to do with temp, but maybe fuel in the carbeurator bowl. Not sure if this helps.

For what it's worth, my carb was new in 04 and has never had anything but stabilized fuel in it when it goes in the garage at the end of the day. Coming from a carb that didn't treat me too great, I'm cautious. But there may be something to it as it doesn't take much to get the boat to turn over at 14 years old and around 640 hours.

JimN
05-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Boyd- your car has a closed cooling system and in order to meet any kind of emissions standards/requirements, it has to run hotter. Boats were exempt and if you look at your thermostat, it's either a 143 or 160, where a car is usually in the 180+ range. You can't make any power with no fuel going to the motor and at WOT or close to it, the motor won't last long running lean. That's the reason the choke working properly is so important on a boat- it does take longer to warm up and if it starts out with the choke open, it'll never get off of the trailer.

boyd
05-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks Jim. Since it has been mentioned I will add: I did take the arrestor off and look at the carb. It is not all the way closed at the start. It is open about a 1/4". I thought I could adjust by twisting the choke but it's set in place by a bead of black silicone. How do I make this adjustment.
Thanks.

mrG
05-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Idle speed could certainly be a factor. You may want to bump the idle speed up just a bit as this will help when it's cold.

Holley tech gave the following steps to adjust the automatic choke:
1) Disconnect power wire from choke housing.
2) open throttle at least 1/2.
3) loosen screws on choke housing and rotate to full open.
4) Then slowly rotate back just until choke plate becomes fully closed.
5) Tighen screws and reconnect power wire.

Also, try some carb cleaner it just might help.

JimN
05-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Boyd- that's pretty close to spec- call your dealer and ask what it's supposed to be set to. For some reason, 3/16" seems right to me but I don't have the books on carb setup. Maybe someone here knows- MYMC, Jim K?

Ryan
05-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Pull the pin out, push it foward till it stops...that chokes it. My 92 ps 190 never has to warm up to be put into gear.

Same here. I've never felt the need to warm up to get the boat off. And it starts better than ever since my top half rebuild and a little carb adjustment. I take this to mean that you and I have some of the better running Windsor engines...too bad no one wants my sweet running machine. :o

PBM
05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
This can be addressed if you or your mechanic are patient. There are 2 factors that are involved in the problem.

1st is the choke setting and second are the accelerator pump and jets - both must be operating properly. I would first adjust the choke to max rich that will still allow the choke to open fully when warm. Loosen the 3 screws on a fully warmed choke and turn the bimetal heater clockwise so that the choke butterfly starts closing SLIGHTLY. You may need to reduce the idle speed when cold.

As for the accelerator jets - these are more difficult. Look into the primary venturi of the carb (the forward venturi) - move the throttle back and forth. You should see gas spurting from the small jets into each venturi IMMEDIATLY off the idel stop position. There should be no pause and the stream should be strong, lasting 1 second +/_. If it does not, there are several possible causes. 1. the jets are pluged; 2. the accelerator pump seal is bad; 3. the accelerator pump cylinder is pitted/corroded thus preventing a good seal with the pump O ring; 4. the check ball in the accelerator pump chamber is stuck or not seating.
Carb re build time!

Or let it warm up before starting out for the day!!!!!!!!:D

Maristar210
05-07-2007, 01:02 PM
According to my owners manual w/351, idle in neutral warmed up is 900rpm and in gear is 600-650rpm.
Lynn always sets in the water, away from the ramp waiting for me to come to the pier to get in the boat and has the throttle set at around 1100-1200rpm, checking the gauges, etc. then it's warm enough to pick me up w/o going dead, 140 degrees on the temp gauge, maybe 4 minutes then when we get beyond the no wake bouy, I give it the gas to take off and the choke comes off and she's happy and ready to gallop.

So what speed is it that lynn comes off idle? :D :D