PDA

View Full Version : Spacing of supports on boat lift?

Jesus_Freak
05-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I am trying to support a 94 PS 205 with a lift. How far apart should the supports under the hull be? The supports on my trailer are not parallel (ballpark ~36" spacing in the rear to ~24" spacing in the front). I am wondering how critical the lateral spacing is. I assume it is important to support the hull correctly. See the picture (not my boat or lift) and see how close these support beams are to the bottom of the vee. Suggestions?

Monte
05-05-2007, 12:30 PM
JF, my suggestion woud be the same width as the bunks on your trailer, but I am no expert..

Jesus_Freak
05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
JF, my suggestion woud be the same width as the bunks on your trailer, but I am no expert..

Thanks. I agree that this would be the most technically correct, but having them NOT parallel (like the trailer) will be much harder.

Come on peeps....I know you all have boat lifts AND prostars AND $0.02. Can you spare some advice?

Rich_G
05-05-2007, 09:02 PM
the main thing is that the bunks don't interfere with the thru-hull water intake, the Paddle Wheel if you have one or will put one it at some point.

I would match the width of the bunks at the rear of the trailer, and make them a little taller toward the front of the cradle. The trailer is designed to "drive on" and center the boat as it comes up the trailer. The lift just scoops up the boat from underneath. If you can, use some guide posts like in the pic above. I have mine where the lift cables act as guides. The go thru a PVC pipe where it catches the rub rail.

VTJC
05-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I matched my trailer as close as I could with my bunks. I would avoid things as Rich_G suggested. I think it’s most important to match the trailer under the heaviest parts of the boat. Jamie

SDAhockey21
05-06-2007, 01:05 AM
In the picture, the only reason the bunks are so close together is because if they were any further apart, the hull would be resting on the lift's metal beams and not on the bunks.

Mastercraft's don't have this deep of a v so the bunks can be placed further apart. I would go with the trailer configuration, but keep in mind that the center of the hull will extend beneath the bunks, as will the fins prop etc. so you might have to place the bucks closer than they are on the trailer so the keel of the boat and shaft, prop, etc don't hit the metal lift beams

SDAhockey21
05-06-2007, 01:08 AM
and thats my $0.04!! lol

SDAhockey21
05-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Here is East's boat on a lift

I Hope its ok that i used your picture east

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/504/Boat_on_Lift.jpg

Jesus_Freak
05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Here is East's boat on a lift

I Hope its ok that i used your picture east

Perfect! Thanks gentlemen!!!

So...ETS, what is the spacing and tilt on those supports?

east tx skier
05-09-2007, 02:11 AM
No idea. And I'm out of town for the rest of the week. Sorry. :o

G-man
05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
measure the width in the bilge near the engine go about 3" wider than the width and you should be supporting the boat under the stringers

sizzler
05-09-2007, 10:24 AM
No idea. And I'm out of town for the rest of the week. Sorry. :o

eric.......quick......eastie is out of town......time to go to work on the post count:D

Jesus_Freak
05-09-2007, 01:42 PM
eric.......quick......eastie is out of town......time to go to work on the post count:D

Unauthorized threadjack. 10 yard penalty. Still 4th down. :D

Leroy
05-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I see them spaced very different at my marina. Seeems like there should be a set dimension JF!

Jesus_Freak
05-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I plan to do what Gman says.