PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Strom Thurmond Lake

ProStar Slalom
05-04-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm thinking about spending a long weekend at one of the campgrounds on Strom Thurmond Lake, on the border between Georgia and South Carolina. I've never been there, and am wondering about the lake. How crowded is the water on weekends? Any quiet spots for barefooting? Is there a slalom course set up in any of the coves?

Thanks,
Scott

Monte
05-04-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking about spending a long weekend at one of the campgrounds on Strom Thurmond Lake, on the border between Georgia and South Carolina. I've never been there, and am wondering about the lake. How crowded is the water on weekends? Any quiet spots for barefooting? Is there a slalom course set up in any of the coves?

Thanks,
Scott

I know nothing about Strom thurmond lake, except it has two names???? Click on my signature;)

TMCNo1
05-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I heard the dam discharges water at the same rate Strom's kidneys did the last 23 years of his life, but they don't make a Pamper that big!

DemolitionMan
05-05-2007, 11:12 PM
I live in columbia county which is on the Georgia side of the lake. The lake was built in the early 1950's. It has over 1200 miles of shore line and when it was built it was the largest man made lake in the world. The lake is owned by the core of engineers. So it does not have a lot of commercal devolpment on it. So there are lots of good places to ski. If you are looking for the place were most of the inboards hang out then that would be keg creek which is on the georgia side of the lake there is one camp ground there called wildwood were a lot of wakeboards camp at. Wild wood is also home of the world head quarters of frisby golf and a bass masters tournament which was last weekend. If you need any more help just let me know.

Jim@BAWS
05-06-2007, 12:14 AM
The lake is AWESOME. When I was stationed at Fort Gordon 82/83 in Augusta we would go out there just about every weekend. Alot of great memories out there. Rented a small boat with a 70 HP Johnson. Early days of my waterskiing. There are some small coves that are quiet to get in some footin....ENJOY

Jim@BAWS

ProStar Slalom
05-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Yellow and Jim, thanks for the help. Looking forward to it.