PDA

View Full Version : My bimini is a little too high.

boatless
05-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I have a 197 prostar, a bimini top which came with my boat is a little high. I have seen some bimini that is lower which make it look nicer. How do I adjust my bimini lower ? My boat does not have a tower.

Thanks,

boatless.

BrianM
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
If you have some leg left underneath the joint for the other bows just cut it and then put the little inserts back in. that is what I did to mine and lowered it about 6"-8". I did move the lowest support up a bit in order to lower it a little extra.

Willski
05-04-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm gonna do this too. Doesn't look to hard. Are the inserts riveted in, or set screw?

BrianM
05-04-2007, 03:21 PM
This is the before. I also just turned it around so it folded forward easier.

BrianM
05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm gonna do this too. Doesn't look to hard. Are the inserts riveted in, or set screw?

Mine were just kind of crimped in. There were two little places where it looked liked the metal was taped with a punch. Removing them is the hard part. I put them back in and then just used a hammer and a punch to get them to stay. Looks exactly like they did before.

boatless
05-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Uh, oh. Sorry I don't have any pictures but my bimini does not comes with straps. It has all poles.

boatless.

BrianM
05-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Uh, oh. Sorry I don't have any pictures but my bimini does not comes with straps. It has all poles.

boatless.

Then you are going to have to shorten those other poles as well. Just a little more work. Cut the main one and then trim the others so they fit .

Willski
05-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Mine were just kind of crimped in. There were two little places where it looked liked the metal was taped with a punch. Removing them is the hard part. I put them back in and then just used a hammer and a punch to get them to stay. Looks exactly like they did before.

I think that is how mine are too, now that I think of it. I think they just punch the metal in which creates kind of a barb to hold the plastic.

boatless
05-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Then you are going to have to shorten those other poles as well. Just a little more work. Cut the main one and then trim the others so they fit .

Thanks Brian,
I'll look at it tonight. By the way, what do you use to cut the pole ?

boatless.

BrianM
05-04-2007, 03:36 PM
I think that is how mine are too, now that I think of it. I think they just punch the metal in which creates kind of a barb to hold the plastic.

Yep, you got it.

Thanks Brian,
I'll look at it tonight. By the way, what do you use to cut the pole ?

boatless.
Hacksaw. The aluminum cuts quick and easy.

milkmania
05-04-2007, 04:36 PM
If you have some leg left underneath the joint for the other bows just cut it and then put the little inserts back in. that is what I did to mine and lowered it about 6"-8". I did move the lowest support up a bit in order to lower it a little extra.

This is the before. I also just turned it around so it folded forward easier.

looks great!

mine looks like your before pic.....
I've considered chopping on mine, and just hadn't done it yet.

I will now

milkmania
05-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Yep, you got it.

Hacksaw. The aluminum cuts quick and easy.

this is what I'll use......
(being careful not the squash the cut)

http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/Pipe%20Cutter.jpg

BrianM
05-04-2007, 05:07 PM
this is what I'll use......
(being careful not the squash the cut)

http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/Pipe%20Cutter.jpg

That will work great. If I had one I would have used it, The hacksaw worked ok just need to be careful to cut straight.

milkmania
05-13-2007, 11:12 PM
after looking at last year's pics......

I don't think I'm going to be able to shorten mine very much:(

(note: pics are 1.6mb each)

http://milkmania.info/DSCF2045.jpg
http://milkmania.info/DSCF2046.jpg

BrianM,
looking back at your pics....
did you get more clearance by putting it on backwards?

BrianM
05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
That can be lowered. You just have to move the lower support/bow up a bit to get you a little additional to cut. That is what I had to do. See the photo I posted. You may need to zoom a bit to see the words better.

I just turned mine around so it folded forward flatter and easier.

milkmania
05-14-2007, 09:32 AM
That can be lowered. You just have to move the lower support/bow up a bit to get you a little additional to cut. That is what I had to do. See the photo I posted. You may need to zoom a bit to see the words better.

I just turned mine around so it folded forward flatter and easier.
right clicked, saved, thanks!

edit, got both of them

BrianM
05-14-2007, 09:32 AM
right clicked, saved, thanks! Just changed the pic so it is easier to read

milkmania
05-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Just changed the pic so it is easier to read

gotcha

so basically, it's just going to lay out the front bar/support a little more toward horizontal.

I like the way yours turned out.

BrianM
05-14-2007, 09:43 AM
gotcha

so basically, it's just going to lay out the front bar/support a little more toward horizontal.

I like the way yours turned out.
Yep.

Move the connection first and make sure that the top still sits correctly. There is a point that if you move it up too far the material won't sit quite right. A few inches should be fine though. Just move them up tighten and then fold it out to make sure everything looks right. If so cut.

georgea0731
05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Take a look at mine gallery. I shortened the front poles, mounted it to the windshield on my 04 with an 03 bimini. I lengthened the rear poles, by drilling new holes too. Good luck!