PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting volume on tower speakers

jmkshm101
05-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I have the standard Clarion CMD4 head unit and an amp running my tower speakers. The problem that I run into is that I can't turn the volume up loud enough for the rider w/out completely blasting the interior speakers. Is there a way to fix this? Can I use the fader? Thank you in advance for your help.

Diesel
05-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I have the standard Clarion CMD4 head unit and an amp running my tower speakers. The problem that I run into is that I can't turn the volume up loud enough for the rider w/out completely blasting the interior speakers. Is there a way to fix this? Can I use the fader? Thank you in advance for your help.

Fader is your best bet. It all depends upon how the system is wired.

rick s.
05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I ran into the same difficulty, so I installed a Zapco SP4SL equalizer. The volume of the inside vs tower speakers is easily adjusted, plus the normal eq functions. One drawback is that you really don't use the Clarion remotes much.

badams
05-05-2007, 10:04 AM

The fader works perfect!

WESSTAR
05-05-2007, 01:20 PM
I am pretty sure I have the same system in my X-Star. Do you have 2 amps? If you do turn the inside amp down a little and the tower amp up. Repeat until desired outcome is achevied

WESSTAR
05-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Also I am sure that you checked the balance on the control head. Mine was set most of the way to the front which is the inside speakers the back is the tower. I put it +2 back.

Doug G
05-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Also I am sure that you checked the balance on the control head. Mine was set most of the way to the front which is the inside speakers the back is the tower. I put it +2 back.

Same here. Adjusted the balance and fade, adjusted the amp outputs and can now crank for the rider without killing the "ballast"

uawaterskier
05-05-2007, 11:19 PM
could you not just turn up the gain on the amp?

dmayer84
05-05-2007, 11:23 PM
could you not just turn up the gain on the amp?

That would work if there was an amp for the tower and one for the boat.

uawaterskier
05-05-2007, 11:55 PM
i just figured the speakers in the boat ran off of the preamp in the headunit. is that not how it works?

dmayer84
05-05-2007, 11:59 PM
It depends on the setup. If its a 6 channel with the tower speakers and boat speakers on it it wouldnt work. Any other way would work. I wouldnt want to have to go in there and change the gain all the time though. Setting it up with fade would really be the easiest way in the long run.

WESSTAR
05-06-2007, 04:14 PM
My set up it has one for the tower and one for the rest of the boat.

jmkshm101
05-07-2007, 02:26 PM
I have the interior speakers running off of the head unit so when I use the fader it just moves the sound from the main cabin to the bow section. I found a setting that let me add more to the amp (setting started w/ S I think). I have that maxed out at +6. I also may not have enough power going to my tower speakers. I am running a Rockford 2 x 100 to a pair of 6x9's. The gain on the amp is maxed out and I can barely hear it while riding. Don't really know what to do at this point, b/c i don't want to tell myself that i just spent this fortune on equipment that won't really do what i want, but that may be the point I am at.

Archimedes
05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I have the same head unit with 6 channel JL amp and two tower speakers. I have the fader set to fade between the cockpit and the tower, but the bow speakers stay on for both.

ridehype4life
05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I have the same deal as Archimedes. I wish though that the bow was wired with the cockpit speakers, and the tower was independent instead of the cockpit being independent and the tower and bow together. Is there any way, and if so how, to change which speakers are grouped together for fading between?

KS X-10
01-29-2008, 01:01 AM

Wetsounds makes a Great EQ WS-420 that has seperate volume control for Tower speakers and boat speakers. it also has subwoofer volume control too. In addition to that, it also has a Talkback microphone with seperate volume control that plays only thru the tower speakers.

rwoznock
01-29-2008, 08:10 AM
I use my fader but I installed my tower speakers on a seperate amp so I could turn them off when not needed. I have 4 speakers in the boat with a sub so when just lounging around myself, I just use the boat speakers, when others want to hear it, I turn on the power amp that drives the tower speakers. Then everyone within 150 feet hear it. LOL! Works very well!

Harvey
01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I have my tower speakers on a seperate amp from everything else so it is easy. You just hook this up and you get independent volume control for the tower. Remote volume/bass control knob (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3792_Absolute+RSW250+-Same+as+Rockford+Fosgate+CP+ALC-1+Bass+Control-.html)