PDA

View Full Version : **My New Carpet Install Thread**

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I just finished my new carpet project in the boat. I've been working on it pretty much all winter but at a slow pace. I started by removing pretty much everything I could from the boat. I stripped and re-carpeted all the individual pieces over November and December working a couple of hours a night at best. Then brought the boat into the garage in early March to begin doing the rest. I took a ton of pics and will post as many as I can here.

All my supplies for the project were bought at Lowe's. I used the best grade of outdoor carpet I could find there. Hopefully it will hold up well. It seems pretty durable. Also, I got stripper and glue there as well.

Here goes.....

A couple of pics of before....

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Pretty sad shape.....

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Here is the adhesive remover I used. It's a concentrate so I diluted in a spray bottle.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Here is the beginning of the stripping process. This is definitely the biggest pain in the arse of this particular project. You have to test your patience to the limits with the stripping.

I would spray the diluted adhesive remover and then use a window scraper and putty knife to get all the residue off.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
More.......

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Here's a shot of all the tools I used during the stripping process. Yes, it's a very messy job....

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Here's the first of the new carpet going down. The rolls came in 6' widths. I started with two rolls approximately 20' long(better to have too much than too little in my opinion) x 6' wide. I didn't need anywhere close to that to do the port and starboard runs. So, I first cut the widths down to manageable sizes.

Laying the carpet takes a good bit of patience as well. I tried to only glue a 12" to 18" section at a time. Then let it sit for atleast 24 hours to let the glue get a good hold so the rest of the carpet wouldn't move when I started to glue the next section. I started in the back and worked my way forward.

I also found that a hair dryer works good to make the carpet pliable when you are dealing with angles. Here is my first section on the starboard side....

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Here is another of the starboard side by the motor. I just laid the new as close as I could to the steel plate with the motor mounts and then trimmed the excess away.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Driver area.....

This got tricky because of the angles. It took a hair dryer and some patience to get the carpet to conform the way I wanted it to.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:07 AM
I used a trowel made for laying glue for vinyl flooring. It worked well.

I think I did break my 12" - 16" section rule here though. But, it was all flat so I was feeling bold.

Also, I glued ALL the floor first. Then, I went back to glue all the sidewall.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Another starboard.......

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Here is the beginning of the port side.....

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
On the port side, I did not trim the width as I wanted to be 100% sure that it would meet up with the starboard side under the bow.

It was a pain to deal with all the excess but, I have 0 visible seams on the port and starboard side which made the final product really nice.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Getting under the observer seat base was probably the toughest part of laying the carpet. It was an extremely tight fit so I had to work it through inch by inch.

But again, it was worth it because there is no seam.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Here is the motor box cover finished and waiting to be put back in.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Driver's kick panel.....

The seam on the left can not be seen. It's hidden by the upright for the observer seat.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Here are 2 of the 3 center floor panels. The panel that goes right in front of the motor is in front of the floor panel that goes behind the motor.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Starboard side, pretty much finished up.

betsy&david Harrison
05-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Your work is looking pretty spiffy!

jrcarte78
Port......

bigpack20
The carpet looks great. You do a very good job. I need you to come do my carpet when you are done.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Motor box cover and rear floor panel re-installed.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Your work is looking pretty spiffy!

Thank you, it was a fun project but definitely glad to see it coming to a close! :D

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:51 AM
The carpet looks great. You do a very good job. I need you to come do my carpet when you are done.

No problem--- Will Work For Beer..... HA!

:D

sanjuan23
05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Great looking work there!

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:55 AM
I also installed a new driver seat base. I really didn't like the existing "box" style base.

Very nerve racking putting that hole in the floor. I used a hole saw to cut the initial hole. and then a jig saw to get it just the right size.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I smeared the hole and the portion of the seat base that would be "in" the floor with 3M marine sealant. I used the better portion of a tube so the base would be secure in the floor and water wouldn't want to get in there and create any damage.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Here is the seat base in the floor and secured w/ stainless screws.

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 12:02 PM
One more of the seat base.....

east tx skier
05-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Excellent work!

bigpack20
05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
No problem--- Will Work For Beer..... HA!

:D

What Kind can I get for you?!?!?!:D

shepherd
05-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Very nice job jr. I'm impressed! It's great having a "new" boat, isn't it?

JKTX21
05-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Nice work and attention to detail. I'm interested to see pictures of the seat installed.

Mark B
05-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Very nice job. Your bare feet will love that new carpet feel!

jrcarte78
05-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

It has been a rewarding project. That feel of new, CLEAN, carpet is wonderful under the feet. :D

I will get some more photos this weekend. I will definitely get a pic of the seat installed. I've just got to do a few more minor things and it'll be DONE!!

BigPack, I'm a Coors Light man!! :D

dichdoc
05-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I could have used this tutorial last year! I had a terrible time with the area by the drivers seat and ended up having to seam it and it looks horrible! Never thought of heating it. Nice job. TB

milkmania
05-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

It has been a rewarding project. That feel of new, CLEAN, carpet is wonderful under the feet. :D

I will get some more photos this weekend. I will definitely get a pic of the seat installed. I've just got to do a few more minor things and it'll be DONE!!

BigPack, I'm a Coors Light man!! :D

awesome, quality work!!!:headbang:

ok, I see NW Arkansas.....

Springdale?
Fayetteville?

I can be there in an hour, just let me know time you'll expect me?

p.s.
I'm serious;)

jrcarte78
05-05-2007, 12:01 AM
I could have used this tutorial last year! I had a terrible time with the area by the drivers seat and ended up having to seam it and it looks horrible! Never thought of heating it. Nice job. TB

Yeah, the area where the hull "breaks" towards the bow of the boat was definitely one of the toughest spots.

It's amazing how pliable that carpet became with a little heat.

jrcarte78
05-05-2007, 12:03 AM
awesome, quality work!!!:headbang:

ok, I see NW Arkansas.....

Springdale?
Fayetteville?

I can be there in an hour, just let me know time you'll expect me?

p.s.
I'm serious;)

Thanks Milk!!

I live in Lowell and work in Springdale.

Anytime you wanna come over just give me a heads up so I can gas up the boat and pick up a case! :D

Monte
05-05-2007, 12:08 AM
That is a heck of a job there jr! Looks good:cool:

Ryan
05-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Fantastic! Nice lookin' vinyl too.

WTRSK1R
05-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Very Very Nice Work. It just shows how almost anything is possible with enough time and alot of patience. It also shows the painstaking details most of us will go through for our "baby" !:)

Enjoy the new boat feeling.

Steve

jimmer2880
05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Wow... very nice work. Glad you took so many pic's. I think I'll be doing the same in the next couple of years.

jrcarte78
05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys. I can't take credit for the vinyl though. The prior owner did that before I bought it in Nov of 2005. It's still in great shape thanks to 303!

I will be posting more pics once I remember to bring the camera to work with me.

The nicest part of the whole project though was getting out yesterday and using it! The new carpet feels so good on your feet. Plus, the riding wasn't bad either :D

ogrover3
05-12-2007, 09:54 AM
carpet looks really good. i hope mine turns out at least half that good. i saw you got all the supplys at lowes, i went there yesterday looking at carpet and really didnt notice anything that really looked similar to your carpet. could you tell me maybe what color and brand you used if you have that information. everything that i saw also came in 12' sections not six. any help is appreciated. once again nice job.

milkmania
05-12-2007, 11:48 AM
carpet looks really good. i hope mine turns out at least half that good. i saw you got all the supplys at lowes, i went there yesterday looking at carpet and really didnt notice anything that really looked similar to your carpet. could you tell me maybe what color and brand you used if you have that information. everything that i saw also came in 12' sections not six. any help is appreciated. once again nice job.

I was thinking the same thing when I re-opened this thread this morning, even before reading your post.

I bought some marine grade carpet from Home Depot a few years ago for speaker boxes, and had a swatch left over..... they discontinued that color:(

but, it was quite a bit darker than jrcarte78's and what's in my boat now....
so I guess I'll keep looking.

McFire
05-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Great looking work.

Would you share approximate costs and time required? I would love to have mine look that nice.

Slinkyredfoot
05-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Very good job, I know when I take on an undertaking such as you on your new carpet install, I always feel good....bet you feel the same or even better.....

jrcarte78
05-15-2007, 06:24 PM
The carpet is located in the flooring section. In our Lowe's store they have a device that holds all the different rolls of carpet. The rolls are on a big wheel that goes up 10 or 15 feet. If the carpet I used wasn't at eye level it might not have been visible. I will look at the brand/item number the next time I'm in our store.

The cost for supplies wasn't bad at all. I would estimate that the carpet was about $250. I went through three 1 gallon buckets of glue. I think they were $10 - $15 a piece. Also, I used up 3 bottles of the adhesive remover. They were $10 - $15 a piece as well. Scrapers, razor blades, trowel, and putty knife are nominal. A high estimate of the total cost would be about $400.

I started working on this project in mid to late November 06. But, I was only working a couple of hours a night 2 or three nights a week. I would get on average 3-4 hours in on the weekend. Also, I got married on 12/31/06 and was gone for two weeks after that. So, there was probably a month to a month and a half that pretty much nothing got done b/c of all the stuff associated with the wedding. I really hit it hard in early March. That is when the boat got moved into the garage so I could start working on it in the evenings after work.

I would recommend this project to anyone. It just takes patience. And, I wouldn't want to feel like I was rushed. That's why I got started as soon as I could last year after the cold set in.

jrcarte78
05-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Very good job, I know when I take on an undertaking such as you on your new carpet install, I always feel good....bet you feel the same or even better.....

It was a great feeling once it was done. Having it turn out well and having done it myself was very rewarding. Plus, the project kept me from going nuts over the winter.

One of the best things about the whole project though was just the knowledge gained about my boat. It's amazing how much you learn about it once it's pretty much disassembled.

By far the best feeling of the whole project was taking it out the first time after completion. Having that new feeling under the feet was great. I can't wait until this weekend to get to use it again. :)

cst573
05-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Can you post some pics of the whole boat? Looks great!

jrcarte78
05-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Here are some pics of the seat reinstalled. A great thing about the base I installed is that the seat and pedestal can be removed easily to get it out of the way for maintenance, cleaning, etc.

jrcarte78
05-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Another....

jrcarte78
05-18-2007, 09:46 AM
One more of the seat....

jrcarte78
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I also made some new switch panels. My edges were cracked around the screws like everyone else's. I made mine out of lexan I got at Lowes. I used a jig saw to cut the pieces out. Then sanded the edges with a dremel. I then used a plastic primer and black gloss paint. I had the labels made out of vinyl by a buddy of mine who runs a sign shop. I then clear coated the whole thing 4 times. I also replaced the rocker switches with new. My old ones were really faded and looked like crap. I am satisfied with the final product. And, they are definitely secure in the dash now which is better than before.

jrcarte78
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
The other side.....