PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Boat Cross Country (CO to GA)

fletch_n_me
05-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Hey All, I recently got married and moved to Atlanta from Colorado. My boat is still in CO as I kept my condo out there and haven't had a chance to move most of my stuff.

My questions are as follows:

A) I am pretty busy so are there services that will pull a boat across the country for you?

B) If I flew into Denver, could I rent a Tahoe or something that I would be able to tug it back with or do they frown apon that?

C) I had to have some extensive carb work done on my 92 prostar 205 for the altitude, am I looking at the same thing when I bring it down from 9100 feet?

BTW, you all recommended a car carrier service to me in December and they were awesome. Moved my babies (CJ-7 and boxster) here in a closed trailer for $850 each, which I felt was a good deal. So thanks for that advice ya'll.

erkoehler
05-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Endl on the board can try to hook you up on shipping. He setup shipping on a 197 for me/sodarski recently :)

milkmania
05-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey All, I recently got married and moved to Atlanta from Colorado. My boat is still in CO as I kept my condo out there and haven't had a chance to move most of my stuff.

My questions are as follows:

A) I am pretty busy so are there services that will pull a boat across the country for you?

B) If I flew into Denver, could I rent a Tahoe or something that I would be able to tug it back with or do they frown apon that?

C) I had to have some extensive carb work done on my 92 prostar 205 for the altitude, am I looking at the same thing when I bring it down from 9100 feet?

BTW, you all recommended a car carrier service to me in December and they were awesome. Moved my babies (CJ-7 and boxster) here in a closed trailer for $850 each, which I felt was a good deal. So thanks for that advice ya'll.

I see you haven't posted in 3 months.....

Welcome back!!!

(they all come back):D

David4MCSammyDuvall
05-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi ! Welcome to Atlanta ! And congratulations on your marriage ! I live here at Norris Lake which is 30 minutes outside of Atlanta. I own 1995 MC ProStar 190 Sammy Duvall Series. Loved my boat. How many hours is it to drive from Colorado to Atlanta ? Would be glad to help you with driving or something like that to bring your boat back to your new home here in Atlanta. What part of Atlanta do you live ?

MCtowtroy
05-04-2007, 04:31 PM
While I did not end up using the service I was pleased with a service called "U-Ship". You post the job and people bid on it somewhat like ebay. Beware... not everyone who bids understands what is needed to move a boat. I had people bid to bring a 4,000lb boat back behind a jeep that did not have the correct weight rating. On the other hand several bidders knew exactly what was involved and still reflected a cometitive quote. My 30 plus bid estimates ranged from $1,000 to $2,200 from Minnesota to South Carolina. Congrats on moving to the South.

beatle78
05-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I used uship.com to ship my new MC from South Carolina to RI. ~900 miles. I paid ~$1/mi to have it shipped. I didn't like the 2 lowest bids of $750, but the guy who gave me a quote for the $900 was very professional and called me each step of the way to let me know his progress(picking up the boat, on the way).

btw, my guy was a CHAMP! He had my boat to me in less than 24 hours and that included a 3 hour roadside delay with a tire blowout.