PDA

View Full Version : Heater hose leaking??

brettpro
05-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Ok, still working this leak (see pic) that develops under the steering wheel - attached additional pic that shows red faucet that has been twisted closed. My heater has two hoses that lead into it. One hose goes to the red faucet and closing it has definitely decreased the amount of water that gathers under the driver's feet. The other hose (see pic with yellow arrow) also leads to the heater and I assume that it is the return line from the water that was previously going through the heater. Why is there still water getting the floor wet?

I checked the speedo line as far as I could - it looks like it is in good condition.

Is it possible that the leak is coming from the second hose that goes to the heater? If so, can I just disconnect it from the engine and put a brass nut where the hose connects to the motor?

Any help would be great - (Todd and JoeBrosius - thanks again)
Thanks, Brett

vtbuehler
05-03-2007, 10:03 PM
The leak most likely is that your heater core has a crack in it or it has completely rusted out. It happened to my heater last summer. It took a couple of weeks to get all of the water out of. I moved from Vermont to Texas where they don't winterize in the winter and of course the heater was part of winterizing and it didn't happen here. I just let it drain and then blocked of the feed hose to the heater. Anyway good luck.

brettpro
05-03-2007, 10:08 PM
VTbuehler,
The hot water (red faucet) is turned off / closed completely - if the water is still water getting through that valve, is there another way to completely block off the feed hose?

Todd Brosius
05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
In my opinion/experience if you have your feeder hose (red valve) turned off then you need to put an in-line valved in that return hose becuase I believe there is a little back pressure from that line which is still causing your heater to leak. Wish I had pics of mine, but our weather has been terrible in NE.

Diesel
05-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Just pull out the heater core and put a splice between the hoses until you can get another core. Or just undo both hoses on the engine and take a 1' piece of heater hose an connect the heater nipples together.

brettpro
05-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Diesel,

Re: Just pull out the heater core and put a splice between the hoses until you can get another core. Or just undo both hoses on the engine and take a 1' piece of heater hose an connect the heater nipples together.

Just so I'm straight (being fairly mechanically disinclined), I disconnect the hoses from the motor and get a small piece of hose and connect each end of that hose to the motor, making a loop - is that correct?

In terms of splicing the hoses at the heater core, do you mean to disconnect each hose and then connect the two ends with an in line valve?

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out.

Diesel
05-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Just so I'm straight (being fairly mechanically disinclined), I disconnect the hoses from the motor and get a small piece of hose and connect each end of that hose to the motor, making a loop - is that correct?

You got it. This is what I would do since it would be the easiest to access and reverse. Plus it would allow both heater hoses to drain completely into the bilge.

In terms of splicing the hoses at the heater core, do you mean to disconnect each hose and then connect the two ends with an in line valve?

If you go this route you can get a plastic splice nipple at home depot or the parts store to connect the two hoses together once the heater core has been removed.

brettpro
05-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Got it - THANKS - tried to PM you but apparently your inbox is full.

ChazC
05-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Just for the "strength in numbers" aspect......my 2004 Maristar does the same thing.