PDA

View Full Version : What to clean/polish Aluminum pontoons?

beatle78
05-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi guys,

I have a pontoon boat that has a lot of stains on the pontoons. I would like to really clean/shine it up.

Does anyone have any sugggestions?

p.s. It's an old pontoon boat so spending the least amount of money on this is a key requirement. :)

thanks,
beatle78

TMCNo1
05-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi guys,

I have a pontoon boat that has a lot of stains on the pontoons. I would like to really clean/shine it up.

p.s. It's an old pontoon boat so spending the least amount of money on this is a key requirement. :)

thanks,
beatle78

Tarnite is the best I've found, but anything that big, use a buffer too, about $4.25 a can, how many can will you need, I dunno! Ace Hardware carries it or can order it!

betsy&david Harrison
05-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Not sure if this is the spelling..it is a product that you can buy at the store...KleanKing. Works really well.

sanjuan23
05-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I thought StarBrite had a product called ToonBrite but I cant seem to find on their website. Harold?

east tx skier
05-03-2007, 06:38 PM
And if none of that works, you could go to town on it with some Magic Eraser.

wakescene
05-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I would think starting with a scotchbrite pad or wetsanding might be a good start. Then polish it out with rubbing compound and then seal it with a topcoat sealer of some type.

Just my $.02

TMCNo1
05-04-2007, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=wakescene]I would think starting with a scotchbrite pad or wetsanding might be a good start. Then polish it out with rubbing compound and then seal it with a topcoat sealer of some type.

Just my $.02[/QUOTE}

If you want to go to NewYork via Los Angeles from Florida!

wakescene
05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
TMCNo1....What was the point of that little jab? My first sentence explains a solution that is cheaper and more effective then ANY suggestion so far...including yours! A scotchbrite pad can be bought at nearly any supermarket in the country for less then $2.00 for multiple pads, and it cleans up aluminum, stainless steel, porcelean and other hardware very quickly and easily.

Heck instead of the scotchbrite pad, why not a bottle of Castrol Superclean and a stiff brush. I have yet to find a stain so stubborn that this product won't get it clean...and I have found gallon bottles for sale for less than $4.25.

betsy&david Harrison
05-07-2007, 03:39 PM
KleenKing is cheap too and it really works..not to much elbow grease either. Try it...you'll like it!!

TMCNo1
05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
TMCNo1....What was the point of that little jab? My first sentence explains a solution that is cheaper and more effective then ANY suggestion so far...including yours! A scotchbrite pad can be bought at nearly any supermarket in the country for less then $2.00 for multiple pads, and it cleans up aluminum, stainless steel, porcelean and other hardware very quickly and easily.

Heck instead of the scotchbrite pad, why not a bottle of Castrol Superclean and a stiff brush. I have yet to find a stain so stubborn that this product won't get it clean...and I have found gallon bottles for sale for less than $4.25.

Wasn't a jab, just been there and done that and the results are the same with less $ and time, and effort, sorry if I offended you.

wakescene
05-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Wasn't a jab, just been there and done that and the results are the same with less $ and time, and effort, sorry if I offended you.
Admirable, I was having a crappy moment...
I can see where it came from after rereading original my post, pardon the slight knee-jerk reation. :cool:

beatle78
05-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys! I may have to wait until I pull it from the water this fall :)

The weather was nice, the wife and baby was cranky, so I dropped the toon into the water, told eveyrone to shutup and enjoy the ride :) :)

I am def gunna have to do something this fall...... This thread is getting saved to my favorites....

Time to work on that oxidation problem on the back of my MC

milkmania
05-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi guys,

thanks,
beatle78

if you have a truck stop nearby with a truck wash bay, you can get it done there really cheap!

G-man
05-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Zing cleaner for alumium and a power washer

atlfootr
05-13-2007, 10:33 AM
if you have a truck stop nearby with a truck wash bay, you can get it done there really cheap!We've got one nearby, does it really work?

milkmania
05-13-2007, 11:17 AM
We've got one nearby, does it really work?

learnt that tip from an old timer at the lake with a Airstream & pontoon boat......

his stuff looked good!

er, um....you know what I meant:o

JimN
05-13-2007, 11:34 AM
A word of warning about Super Clean- it'll fade decals, take the chrome off plastic and if it goes on full strength, it can damage some materials. I agree that it's about the best cleaner I have found, too, but be careful with it and test on an inconspicuous place. I cleaned around the dials on my oven and it took a lot of that off, too.

The stuff on toons and other aluminum may or may not come off with Super Clean- we always used Zing for aluminum and they cleaned up really fast. Zing is acid, so wear old clothes you don't care about, eye protection and rubber gloves. Super Clean isn't acidic but you still want to be careful.