PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Questions

sanjuan23
05-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Anyone in the insurance biz? If I remember correctly Monte72 you are?? Short scenario. 3.3" of rain inside of 40 minutes last night my mothers house flooded what an absolute freaking mess. Since we (Texas) are not prone to flooding under "normal" conditions she does not have flood insurance. So is she high and dry while the house is low and soaked? Anybody have any input, she was calling her agent this morning and I have not had the chance to talk to her again today. Thanks!

jraben8
05-03-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that. Where is she at?

I was going to ask if anyone in N. Texas experienced damage from last night?

ttu
05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
i am sure monty will give input.

i am a insurance agent in oklahoma. the homeowners insurance will not cover the loss. if she has flood insurance yes.

sorry for the bad news.

JKTX21
05-03-2007, 02:18 PM

We had some trees snapped at our house and a glass table in the pool. Luckily I got home a little late, there was half of a rather large oak tree in my parking spot when I got home. :D

sanjuan23
05-03-2007, 02:29 PM

She lives just a couple blocks east of Lake Arlington. I as still frustrated as all get out and it's not even my house. But being that it is Mom's take a wild guess at who gets to do the majority of the work. :o

sanjuan23
05-03-2007, 02:30 PM

i am a insurance agent in oklahoma. the homeowners insurance will not cover the loss. if she has flood insurance yes.

sorry for the bad news.

Yup! :mad: She just got off the phone with her agent no luck there. But he didn't have to be such a D*&K about it.

milkmania
05-03-2007, 02:35 PM

sorry for the bad news.

time to take a sledge hammer to the old water heater pop off valve:D

not that I would do something like that:rolleyes:

sanjuan23
05-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Gave it some strong consideration last night.... Dam the water heater is in the garage.

Sodar
05-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Pipe Broke.... OOPS!! :D :D :D

milkmania
05-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Gave it some strong consideration last night.... Dam the water heater is in the garage.

how you going to explain all the creepy crawlies from the outside???http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/drowning.gif

jraben8
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
That mysterious hole in the roof... Sorry I didn't mention it when we were on the phone earlier... (might want to toss a bucket of water on the sheetrock below it...)

ttu
05-03-2007, 03:37 PM
when i was a claims adjuster 10+ years ago, i handled a claim on a guy who used a ball ping hammer to "make" hail hits on his roof.

the idiot hit every other shingle in the middle of the "shingle" :rolleyes:

i can't imagine the amount of time it took him to do so.

cmack
05-04-2007, 09:06 AM
John -- Sorry to hear about your Mom's house. If you need any help for labor -- We will be happy to do so. If we can get a few people, I'm sure we could rip out the floor and put a new one in pretty quick

Monte
05-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Anyone in the insurance biz? If I remember correctly Monte72 you are?? Short scenario. 3.3" of rain inside of 40 minutes last night my mothers house flooded what an absolute freaking mess. Since we (Texas) are not prone to flooding under "normal" conditions she does not have flood insurance. So is she high and dry while the house is low and soaked? Anybody have any input, she was calling her agent this morning and I have not had the chance to talk to her again today. Thanks!

SJ sorry about being late to the game on that, I just saw the thread.. Water rising from an outside source, is generally not covered. Flood can only be covered thorugh FEMA, then is has to affect at least X number of properties, and X amounts of acreage. BTW it is expensive. 90k house zone A 2500 a year just for the Flood coverage. I don't think you can even buy it if you are not in a flood zone. The only exception tho that rule is Manufactured Home Policies in NC. They do cover Flood:confused: on a form 3. I hate to hear about your mom's house. There is not much you can do. Here is what I've learned at some CE classes:

Get the wooden furnitre off any carpet. It will stain it.
Get a company like Servepro out to float the carpet( blow air under it to dry it.
Open all the doors and windows when the rain stops.

Hope that helps, but get the service out ASAP. They can prevent mold!!!! And loss

sanjuan23
05-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Well things were not as bad as they had first appeared. I have a contractor friend that loaned me four commercial de-humidifies and a couple of fans. I pulled all the affected carpet and pad. Pulled the base board on all the walls affected and cut the sheetrock 6" up. The majority of the water fell into the sunken living room (which is Satillo tile) From pulling all the rock and carpet the rest just seems to be seepage from the water in the back yard above the brickledge on foundation coming under the bottom plate. Only one little area was the insulation affected. Sprayed everything down with a solution of bleach and water. Now we just wait for everything else to dry.

BrianM
05-04-2007, 10:06 AM

Not an insurance expert but if she didn't have flood insurance she won't get anything. Rising water is excluded from all homeowners policies.

sanjuan23
05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Not an insurance expert but if she didn't have flood insurance she won't get anything. Rising water is excluded from all homeowners policies.

Yup and not enough affected to consider it a FEMA type thing. Well you live and you learn and things go on there is not much to do about it now other than take the appropriate steps so that it does not happen again.

BrianM
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Yup and not enough affected to consider it a FEMA type thing. Well you live and you learn and things go on there is not much to do about it now other than take the appropriate steps so that it does not happen again.

Flood insurance in a non-flood zone is pretty dirt cheap. Might want to look into it. I am not in a flood zone but too close for comfort to a flood zone for me. I pay right at $400 a year for $200k value and $80k contents. Worth the peiece of mind.

sanjuan23
05-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info Brian I have my insurance guy looking into it for her today.

slink976
05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
okay not that I am bumping or anything.....

Starting to think this moving to Texas idea is a bad one!
In San Diego we have only had 3.6 inches of rain all year. And that is based on a rain year starting June 2006 and going to June 2007!!!!

Note to self, no matter what get flood insurance in Texas!

Bump over

slink976
05-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Oh forgot one thing,

Sorry to hear about your Mom's situation sounds like you have made some serious progress in rectifing the situation. Good luck and I hope your mother isn't to stressed out about this.

Lee

sanjuan23
05-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Lee I wouldn't let the rainfall worry you. This was a really freak storm 3" of rain in a very short amount of time. It probably wouldnt have happened had she rectified the landscaping issues I pointed out a couple of months ago.

slink976
05-04-2007, 01:34 PM
side note, did the lakes all fill up?

sanjuan23
05-04-2007, 01:39 PM
All but Lavon which has been our "problem child" for the past 2 years and Cooper but it is far north. Lewisville and Grapevine are up when I checked yesterday. My little streches of heaven are doing nicely last I heard. Now go sell that House!