PDA

View Full Version : Flying with your Ski?

#47of100TeamMC
05-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Does anyone have some good advice on the best way to approach flying somewhere and bringing your ski along? Do the airlines make you check it ? :eek: Or do they let you carry it on and just stow it for you? Depending on the answer to that question... does anyone recommend a travel case? probably a hardshell one if checking is necessary.

Thanks,
Chris

rodltg2
05-03-2007, 01:40 PM
you cant carry on. i used my regular bag and was fine. one trip to acapulco and one to cancun. if you prefer something better goode makes a hardshell one.

Sodar
05-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Does anyone have some good advice on the best way to approach flying somewhere and bringing your ski along? Do the airlines make you check it ? :eek: Or do they let you carry it on and just stow it for you? Depending on the answer to that question... does anyone recommend a travel case? probably a hardshell one if checking is necessary.

Thanks,
Chris

Just flew with mine last weekend back to Chicago. I just used my regular slalom bag, stuffed as much of my ski inside my wetsuit, then inside my padded bag and then stuffed a few towels around it. I did not get any damage and it seemed to work well. The airline DOES make you check it though...

#47of100TeamMC
05-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks guys for the responses.

Anyone tried the Sportube hardcase? or the Masterline heavy padded cases?

Thanks,
Chris

rodltg2
05-03-2007, 02:22 PM
oops, i just remebered when i went to cancun i did use the masterline. that bag is great becuase it can fit your rope, jacket and wetsuit as well.

#47of100TeamMC
05-03-2007, 02:36 PM
oops, i just remebered when i went to cancun i did use the masterline. that bag is great becuase it can fit your rope, jacket and wetsuit as well.

Hey Rod, Does that Masterline bag have any structure to it? (like a plastic hardened lining?) or is it just padded and such? which one do you have? looks like there are multiple sizes...

-Deluxe One event Roller Bag.
-Deluxe One event Bag (no rollers).
-96" Three event Roller.
-92" Three event Roller.
-85" Three event Roller.
etc.

I guess my real question is... Do you need to get a bigger one to be able to carry 2 skis with boots? or will the Ove Event be big enough?

Thanks a bunch.
Chris

#47of100TeamMC
05-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Here's the Masterline Roller bag on My local MC dealers website.

http://www.waterskis.com/MasterLine-Deluxe-One-Event-Roller-Waterski-Bag-p/masterline%20one%20event%20roller.htm

Good Price?

milkmania
05-03-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks,
Chris

seems like UMP bought a hard shell for his baby......

he'll be along shortly...

surely:rolleyes:

8p

rodltg2
05-03-2007, 02:41 PM
i wish i could tell you, but i borrowed it.. i think it was just the one event..

Tap
05-03-2007, 04:32 PM
In college whe used the three event, and had footloong sections of 8" PVC to protect the fin settings on the ski's. Cheap and effective.

uawaterskier
05-03-2007, 06:11 PM
In college whe used the three event, and had footloong sections of 8" PVC to protect the fin settings on the ski's. Cheap and effective.
still how we roll in college:D

C36
05-03-2007, 07:21 PM
One more option. I only rarely fly with my ski so I also use a "cheap" system. Mine is fin wrapped in carboard,
a 8" Sono Tube (Wiley's bindings slide right in),
two end caps made of styrofoam SM cut round to fit one in each end of the tube,
then cardboard taped over each end of the Sono Tube, then Sono Tube placed inside a windsurfing sail bag (a large downhill ski bag could be used as well).

You can fit line(s) and wetsuit inside sono tube as well, if need be. ;)

fletch_n_me
05-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey man, I work for an airline and I fly my snow skis all over the world. The best experiences I have had is taking my non-delicate clothes and using them to buffer the skis in my standard padded bag. T-shirts, boxers, seatshirts and shorts don't need too much special treatment and I use them to wrap my skis or pad delicate parts.

Important: You can also request a special equipment tag for them at no additional charge (most airlines) and that means that they will put them in a sectioned off cargo area reserved for mail/cargo, bodies (dead) and pets. They keep these consignments in a temperature controlled area and board them last. They treat them way better as there is way more focus on such items. Let me know what airline you are flying and I will let you know their policies.

weskix4
05-03-2007, 10:13 PM
When I flew with Southwest 1 year ago, to pick-up my MC in Texas, I was charged $30 extra for "oversized" luggage. You may want to check with the airlines to see how they suggest packing your ski.

fletch_n_me
05-03-2007, 10:18 PM
True that. Your low fare airlines are all about supplemental revenue. Southwest, JetBlue and even United now will charge you for oversized and not just weight excessive luggage.

fletch_n_me
05-03-2007, 10:18 PM
True that. Your low fare airlines are all about supplemental revenue. Southwest, JetBlue and even United now will charge you for oversized and not just weight excessive luggage.

trunderw
05-03-2007, 10:21 PM
i put mine in my snow ski bag, it works fine and the inside of that bag is fairly durable to handle the sharp edges of the snow skis so the slalom fin wouldn't easily cut through it

fletch_n_me
05-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah, the more room to pad the better. I am telling you, if you are from Wisconsin (original poster) fly Midwest or AirTran and you can get a 'special luggage' label on your ski for no cost.

As an aside, Midwest is considered the best luggage handling airline in the country. The fly police and FBI dogs because they keep a vet on staff.

tex
05-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Regular bag and wrap your fin with pvc or towels. Act like you have never been charged before!

fletch_n_me
05-03-2007, 11:40 PM
On the other hand, I have a few friends that Fed Ex their skis ahead of them. They use original packing or ski boxes from the local shop. You can insure the arss out of them that way and, to be honest, you may get more accountability that way. Just a thought...

JohnE
05-04-2007, 07:48 AM
On the other hand, I have a few friends that Fed Ex their skis ahead of them. They use original packing or ski boxes from the local shop. You can insure the arss out of them that way and, to be honest, you may get more accountability that way. Just a thought...

I don't fly much, but as I was reading this thread, I was thinking that if the airline is charging you, why not UPS it? You beat me to it Fletch.

#47of100TeamMC
05-04-2007, 08:30 AM
One more option. I only rarely fly with my ski so I also use a "cheap" system. Mine is

fin wrapped in carboard,
a 8" Sono Tube (Wiley's bindings slide right in),
two end caps made of styrofoam SM cut round to fit one in each end of the tube,
then cardboard taped over each end of the Sono Tube,
then Sono Tube placed inside a windsurfing sail bag (a large downhill ski bag could be used as well).
You can fit line(s) and wetsuit inside sono tube as well, if need be. ;)

And how do I pack it if I don't want to look like a hillbilly? j/k. I actually thought of throwing it in a PVC pipe or something like that. but for $150 or so. a bag might be worth the expense. as long as I get it long enough to carry my snow skis in the winter too.

#47of100TeamMC
05-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Hey man, I work for an airline and I fly my snow skis all over the world. The best experiences I have had is taking my non-delicate clothes and using them to buffer the skis in my standard padded bag. T-shirts, boxers, seatshirts and shorts don't need too much special treatment and I use them to wrap my skis or pad delicate parts.

Important: You can also request a special equipment tag for them at no additional charge (most airlines) and that means that they will put them in a sectioned off cargo area reserved for mail/cargo, bodies (dead) and pets. They keep these consignments in a temperature controlled area and board them last. They treat them way better as there is way more focus on such items. Let me know what airline you are flying and I will let you know their policies.

Hey Fletch, thanks for the responses... I think I'm flying NWA. (haven't booked it yet though) they have about the only direct flight down to Orlando. On the way back it's a toss-up. It might be Delta on the way back, (no airline has a direct back to MSP) It looks like on their website that you can fly with 1 over sized bag as a replacement to one of your checked bags.

Here is their policy:

Skiing and Snowboarding Equipment
Northwest accepts one item of skiing/snowboarding equipment in lieu of one piece of luggage included in the free luggage allowance. Skiing/snowboarding equipment is accepted as checked luggage only. An item of ski equipment is defined as one of the following:

One (1) ski bag containing up to two (2) pairs of skis and one (1) boot bag
One (1) snowboard
One (1) snowboard bag containing up to two (2) snowboardsAdditional ski and boot bags will be subject to normal excess charges. Northwest recommends hard-shell cases when checking your ski equipment.

uawaterskier
05-04-2007, 12:41 PM
" Northwest recommends hard-shell cases when checking your ski equipment."

we dont pay our people enough to care about YOUR stuff...please be advised.

#47of100TeamMC
05-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Yeah I thought that was an interesting comment too.:rolleyes:

Jesus_Freak
05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
seems like UMP bought a hard shell for his baby.....

Was this for his mildly "defective" baby?

EricB
05-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I've flown with my slalom ski. I bought an O'Brien Travel Bag and stuffed towels at the tip and fin ends. I used my vest to protect the middle of the ski, and no problems. You do have to check it though.

PM me if you want to borrow the bag #47......

C36
05-04-2007, 01:55 PM
And how do I pack it if I don't want to look like a hillbilly? j/k. I actually thought of throwing it in a PVC pipe or something like that. but for $150 or so. a bag might be worth the expense. as long as I get it long enough to carry my snow skis in the winter too.

The comment below explains the reason I drop my ski inside the Sono Tube. ;) As for hillybilly windsurfers - never seen one, so I can't comment. :rolleyes:

#47of100TeamMC
05-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Does anyone else notice the resemblance between this Sportube Hard Case...(see next post...)

#47of100TeamMC
05-04-2007, 03:36 PM
And this Goode Hard Case??? Interesting...(ok i guess the sportube case pic is a little small, Point is... they look Identical, Even the writing on the side)

uawaterskier
05-04-2007, 04:58 PM
im sure the same company probably makes them. I dont see Goode build their case in house

#47of100TeamMC
05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Anyone ever tried Amazon.com?

How about this, Sportube Series 3 (or Goode or whatever you wanna call it) Shipped to my door for $107.99 (justl ike post #29, I thought it was a type-o) a savings of $62 off Retail Plus free shipping! I was also watching a used one on ebay, however, it went for $123 plus $25 shipping! and it was beat up pretty bad. So I'll take $108 new!

Thank you Amazon!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I have one of those sport tubes that Schnitz sells. Works great! I flew to MM2 with my Monza in it. stuffed wiht with a PFD, Rope, gloves, etc... and it worked fine!

daverbeck
05-13-2007, 08:22 AM
My Obrien Synchro has been checked 3 times (WI to FL non stop flights). I use the (cheap - $30) Overtons wide body soft bag. The ski has never been damaged but the bag always has new holes after each trip. I patched the worst hole (the fin went right through) by adding a rubber in the fin area (same neoprene I use to rebuild my bindings).

If you travel with your ski alot and will be making connecting flights the hard cases would be better. I am going to wrap mine with some extra towels next time I take my winter ski school trip.

#47of100TeamMC
05-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks daverbeck, I'm really glad I went with the sportube now after hearing your experience. we are flying non-stop on the way down, but have to make a stop in Michigan on the way back (not sure how that's considered "on the way back I guess" but anyway)

Thanks UMP for your insight. Soon, I'll be sporting a sportube as well!

Cheers:toast: ,
Chris

My Obrien Synchro has been checked 3 times (WI to FL non stop flights). I use the (cheap - $30) Overtons wide body soft bag. The ski has never been damaged but the bag always has new holes after each trip. I patched the worst hole (the fin went right through) by adding a rubber in the fin area (same neoprene I use to rebuild my bindings).

If you travel with your ski alot and will be making connecting flights the hard cases would be better. I am going to wrap mine with some extra towels next time I take my winter ski school trip.