PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Here Have a CSX?

blacter
05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
For some reason my wife doesn't think the CSX "looks cool" or we may well have traded our X10 by now. Any of you have one yet? I'd love to hear your impressions.

Vegas X-Star
05-03-2007, 01:41 PM
I have sat in one...seems pretty cool if you are on the coast and intend to do some fishing in it. The seating arrangement is kind of strange though...what is the MSRP on them?

Sodar
05-03-2007, 01:45 PM
For some reason my wife doesn't think the CSX "looks cool" or we may well have traded our X10 by now. Any of you have one yet? I'd love to hear your impressions.

I drove one this last weekend and it was a cool little boat, but in my opinion it needs some refinement.

1) The gunwales are too low and are right are the back of your knees, low thighs, making it easy to fall over board.

2) The bow is too short. It feels like you are going to to roll over the bow every time you slow down.

3) The boat needs to be 6' longer. The 22' with a 3' open bow does not work... the boat is just too short.

4) The throttle is HORRIBLE. It is sticky, sensative and placed in an awkward location. I personally think that some ZeroEffort controls with a seperate shift and throttle feature would be much better.

What I did like though, was the ride. It handled toe 2 foot chop very well and went over a wakesurfing Malibu's wake like it was not there.

I also liked the rear seat and its ability to fold down.

My best advice would be to test drive it and see how you feel. In my opinion though, this is not going to be a good coastal or "true" big water boat.

Here is the CSX we drove....

Diesel
05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
:confused:

endl
05-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Seems like they would have built that on the x45 platform. That wold have taken care of the space issue in the front. Good looking boat though.

SaltwaterMC
05-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Sodar, I totally agree with you. I think one big mistake is the fact that you can't walk through the bow area without stepping on cushions. That area should definitely be opened up because as is it is not very conducive to say fighting a big fish if you have to worry about stepping on that precious vinyl to change positions.

PendO
05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Sodar - sounds like you have come up with a way for MC to build a 150K boat - congrats:)

I drove one this last weekend and it was a cool little boat, but in my opinion it needs some refinement.

1) The gunwales are too low and are right are the back of your knees, low thighs, making it easy to fall over board.

2) The bow is too short. It feels like you are going to to roll over the bow every time you slow down.

3) The boat needs to be 6' longer. The 22' with a 3' open bow does not work... the boat is just too short.

4) The throttle is HORRIBLE. It is sticky, sensative and placed in an awkward location. I personally think that some ZeroEffort controls with a seperate shift and throttle feature would be much better.

What I did like though, was the ride. It handled toe 2 foot chop very well and went over a wakesurfing Malibu's wake like it was not there.

I also liked the rear seat and its ability to fold down.

My best advice would be to test drive it and see how you feel. In my opinion though, this is not going to be a good coastal or "true" big water boat.

Here is the CSX we drove....

Sodar
05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Sodar - sounds like you have come up with a way for MC to build a 150K boat - congrats:)

I could spend $150k on a much more appropriate center console and I can assure you, it would not be an inboard!! :o

MYMC
05-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Look the CSX was never intended to be a "blue water" boat. It is a bay boat or for use in intercoastals and lakes. There is a bigger CSX on the way for fighting Marlin off the coast of Costa Rica but in the mean time do not misunderstand the mission of the boat.

You may of may not like the inboard engine configuration (I do) but it is what the company is known for and expected to produce. If you feel that a 32' Sea OX, Graddy White or some other brand are more suited to your mission then so be it. However, if you are going to review the boat review it for its intended usage. When was the last time someone wrote about the ski wake behind a 32' Whaler?

I think MC did the boat a dis-service by driving it to the Bahamas and using it there...too many people then believe you are advertising it as a "blue water" boat, rather than displaying the fact the boat can handle journey.

ProTour X9
05-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Is that part true about the bigger CSX?
Seems like theres kinks with every new model; they'll get it right.

MYMC
05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Is that part true about the bigger CSX?
Seems like theres kinks with every new model; they'll get it right.
Yes, there is a larger CSX on the way.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-03-2007, 04:48 PM
I stated in another post that while I was in Tampa (on the shoreline of Tampa Bay), I couldn't help but think the CSX would be right at home there. The bay was kicked up some days with 1-2' windblown chop and wind whisped glass the other days. The CSX would be something to consider for that area/application...IMO.

Diesel
05-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Look the CSX was never intended to be a "blue water" boat. However, if you are going to review the boat review it for its intended usage.

Just so I am clear...........what exactly is it's intended use?? besides driving up the price of all the other boats in the line up:(

ProTour X9
05-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey, MasterCraft has 4 direct drives, someone pinch me!
Mike, pardon my curiosity but, will there be 5 soon?

Sodar
05-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Look the CSX was never intended to be a "blue water" boat. It is a bay boat or for use in intercoastals and lakes. There is a bigger CSX on the way for fighting Marlin off the coast of Costa Rica but in the mean time do not misunderstand the mission of the boat.

You may of may not like the inboard engine configuration (I do) but it is what the company is known for and expected to produce. If you feel that a 32' Sea OX, Graddy White or some other brand are more suited to your mission then so be it. However, if you are going to review the boat review it for its intended usage. When was the last time someone wrote about the ski wake behind a 32' Whaler?

I think MC did the boat a dis-service by driving it to the Bahamas and using it there...too many people then believe you are advertising it as a "blue water" boat, rather than displaying the fact the boat can handle journey.

I was never illuding to the idea that the boat was a blue water boat. We were on some small little lake, not open water.

I was never asking for them to produce any thing other than an inboard! My review was not big water, small water, pink water, or brown water specific... I was just stating true facts regarding gunwale height, stubby bows and a PITA throttle.

Well, on that note, I would agree with you that MC's marketing ploy was not the most brilliant, because I have ever seen an island without "bluewater" around it.... I don't know!

JKTX21
05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
At the very least, I commend MC for trying something new. I highly doubt I will ever own a CSX, as we have an inboard ski boat and a center console fishing boat in our family, and we don't live on the coast (and in all honesty we are way under the price tag of the CSX with two boats).

MYMC
05-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Just so I am clear...........what exactly is it's intended use?? besides driving up the price of all the other boats in the line up:(
It is a multi-pupose direct drive center consol...and the wakeboarding/surf wake has been rated as high as number 2 in our line up by some pros.

Here is how I'll address the cost comment...if the new boats cost too much for people to buy then the value of your older boat is secure. Your older boat will only be more valuable as a result...I guess by your logic you have the CSX to thank.

MYMC
05-03-2007, 05:52 PM
I was never illuding to the idea that the boat was a blue water boat. We were on some small little lake, not open water.

I was never asking for them to produce any thing other than an inboard! My review was not big water, small water, pink water, or brown water specific... I was just stating true facts regarding gunwale height, stubby bows and a PITA throttle.

Well, on that note, I would agree with you that MC's marketing ploy was not the most brilliant, because I have ever seen an island without "bluewater" around it.... I don't know!
So...22'3" is too short for an open bow and you were on a small lake? Jeez the PS197 is doomed. What would you buy since you suggest adding 6’ to the boat and the largest boat we build is 26’? (This is gonna be an awfully big “small lake boat”)

Given the "stubby bow" comment I'll have production of the X2, X-Star and X-45 canceled immediately...good bye to the best selling products in MasterCraft history.

Datdude
05-03-2007, 06:10 PM
So...22'3" is too short for an open bow and you were on a small lake? Jeez the PS197 is doomed. What would you buy since you suggest adding 6’ to the boat and the largest boat we build is 26’? (This is gonna be an awfully big “small lake boat”)

Given the "stubby bow" comment I'll have production of the X2, X-Star and X-45 canceled immediately...good bye to the best selling products in MasterCraft history.

Somebody hit a nerve with something:confused: :D

Sodar
05-03-2007, 06:11 PM

WOW!! You are stuffing words into my mouth!! :)

I NEVER said that 22' was too short for an open bow. I am just saying that standing at the console, it seems like you are going to roll over the front, because the bow is so short, plus, with the cushion in front of the console running all the way to the bow, it does not leave much room up there.

Isn't the largest boat MC builds 28'?

As for the other boats, that you sit at, behind a windshield, at about the same level as the bow, not standing over it (like the CSX), I would hold off on cancelling those orders, you might loose your bread and butter and be out on the streets peddling pasties or something! :D

Diesel
05-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Okay I guess my question is this..............what can the CSX do that an XStar (or any other boat in the line up for that matter) cannot? What need does it fill in the market?

Don't say fishing because we have already determined it's NOT A FISHING BOAT, oh and it's not not a open water boat, and it's not a ski boat, it's really not a wakeboard boat, nor a dive boat, now MC has determined it's already too short.............I just don't get it. :confused:

maristarman
05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Danimal
05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Okay I guess my question is this..............what can the CSX do that an XStar (or any other boat in the line up for that matter) cannot? What need does it fill in the market?

Don't say fishing because we have already determined it's NOT A FISHING BOAT, oh and it's not not a open water boat, and it's not a ski boat, it's really not a wakeboard boat, nor a dive boat, now MC has determined it's already too short.............I just don't get it. :confused:

It's got the "Cool Factor"! I like them!

maristarman
05-03-2007, 06:27 PM
............... we have already determined it's NOT A FISHING BOAT, oh and it's not not a open water boat, and it's not a ski boat, it's really not a wakeboard boat, nor a dive boat.............I just don't get it. :confused:

So what you're saying is:

Mastercraft went ahead and built themselves a Bayliner.

Danimal
05-03-2007, 06:28 PM

Aww jeeeezzzz - NOW it's really getting good! Pull up a chair and beer. Here we go!!

MYMC
05-03-2007, 06:33 PM
WOW!! You are stuffing words into my mouth!! :)

I NEVER said that 22' was too short for an open bow. I am just saying that standing at the console, it seems like you are going to roll over the front, because the bow is so short, plus, with the cushion in front of the console running all the way to the bow, it does not leave much room up there.
Your exact words..."3) The boat needs to be 6' longer. The 22' with a 3' open bow does not work... the boat is just too short."
Just being clear...

Isn't the largest boat MC builds 28'?
Nope, the 280 is 28'3"...but since the platform is included in the length (industry STD for boats over 26) the actual boat is 26'1".

As for the other boats, that you sit at, behind a windshield, at about the same level as the bow, not standing over it (like the CSX), I would hold off on cancelling those orders, you might loose your bread and butter and be out on the streets peddling pasties or something! :D
Don't worry about me, I'm married to a professional athlete!;)

MYMC
05-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Okay I guess my question is this..............what can the CSX do that an XStar (or any other boat in the line up for that matter) cannot? What need does it fill in the market?[QOUTE/]
Compared to an X-Star...The ski wake is skiable! What does it do or fill...why does any company build more than one prodcuct? All cars can get you from point A to point B...why have bigger? Smaller? Faster?

The CSX is fishable...but to call it a fishing boat is short sighted. Nowhere did I say MC says the boat is too small...they are building a larger version so there is one for users that require a larger boat. By your logic MC is admitting the X-Star was too small by building the X45, and god only knows what they were saying by building the X2!

[QUOTE=Diesel]Don't say fishing because we have already determined it's NOT A FISHING BOAT, oh and it's not not a open water boat, and it's not a ski boat, it's really not a wakeboard boat, nor a dive boat, now MC has determined it's already too short.............I just don't get it. :confused:
It is okay to not "get it" maybe it wasn't aimed at you and your usage, but that doesnt mean it is a mistake or built wrong. I don't "get" station wagons, but that doesn't mean I question the sanity of BMW.

Diesel

I am still trying to get someone to give me a practical purpose for the boat. I have no idea what MC has built with the CSX and no one else seems to know either. :confused:

MYMC

Nope never said that...

(why does it always resort to name calling?)

MYMC
05-03-2007, 06:46 PM
I am still trying to get someone to give me a practical purpose for the boat. I have no idea what MC has built with the CSX and no one else seems to know either. :confused:
SCUBA...there it is! It does that really well and no other boat in the line does. You can put on your fins walk out the folding transom/backrest door and dive...that cannot be done in any other MC.

Feel better?

Sodar
05-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Your exact words..."3) The boat needs to be 6' longer. The 22' with a 3' open bow does not work... the boat is just too short."
Just being clear...

Do you know what I am saying though about the bow being a bit on the short side? Like when you get off the throttle and the wake sort of rolls into the stern and dumps the bow down... when you are standing there, it feels like you are going to roll over the console. I know that you get the same thing in an X-45, etc, but since you are sitting at a lower center of gravity in those boats, you do not notice it as much as you do in a CSX.

/I understand that your business is to defend the image of MC and their products. I had no intention to start fights or arguments here. I was giving true observations, opinions and suggestions for a blind consumers point-of-view... there was/is truly no reason to bite so hard! :(

Diesel
05-03-2007, 06:53 PM
It is okay to not "get it" maybe it wasn't aimed at you and your usage, but that doesnt mean it is a mistake or built wrong. I don't "get" station wagons, but that doesn't mean I question the sanity of BMW.

Fair enough............

.......but at least someone can understand the practical purpose of the station wagon. A station wagon has an identity and a fills a specific purpose for a reasonable % of customers in the market. The CSX seems to be a boat with no defined (or at least an agreeded upon) purpose and I have yet to hear from any resonable amount of interested customers to consitute a legitimate market.

It could be my geographical location and I am usually not closed minded but this one has me stumped.

MYMC
05-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Do you know what I am saying though about the bow being a bit on the short side? Like when you get off the throttle and the wake sort of rolls into the stern and dumps the bow down... when you are standing there, it feels like you are going to roll over the console. I know that you get the same thing in an X-45, etc, but since you are sitting at a lower center of gravity in those boats, you do not notice it as much as you do in a CSX.

/I understand that your business is to defend the image of MC and their products. I had no intention to start fights or arguments here. I was giving true observations, opinions and suggestions for a blind consumers point-of-view... there was/is truly no reason to bite so hard! :(
I never intended to bite back just I think the CSX needs time to get "legs" under it...thus the defense of it. Of course I still remember your George Clooney comments and have not fully recovered.

Sodar
05-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I never intended to bite back just I think the CSX needs time to get "legs" under it...thus the defense of it. Of course I still remember your George Clooney comments and have not fully recovered.

I am going to need to do a search on that one! I do not remember being an @ss, but it is entirely possible!! :D

MYMC
05-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Fair enough............

.......but at least someone can understand the practical purpose of the station wagon. A station wagon has an identity and a fills a specific purpose for a reasonable % of customers in the market. The CSX seems to be a boat with no defined (or at least an agreeded upon) purpose and I have yet to hear from any resonable amount of interested customers to consitute a legitimate market.

It could be my geographical location and I am usually not closed minded but this one has me stumped.
Come to CSM I'll have one in the water and see if that helps...

You understand my station wagon comment...modern SUV's will do the same mission but companies like BMW sell both.

MYMC
05-03-2007, 07:02 PM
I am going to need to do a search on that one! I do not remember being an @ss, but it is entirely possible!! :D
Something about his sexual orientation (dont want to offend anyone).

TX.X-30 fan
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I want to question the sanity of MINIVANS!!! Every time I see a guy driving one I'm fairly sure his wife has his "huevos" in a cup sitting on the mantel. :D :D

MYMC
05-03-2007, 07:06 PM
I want to question the sanity of MINIVANS!!! Every time I see a guy driving one I'm fairly sure his wife has his "huevos" in a cup sitting on the mantel. :D :D
Amen brother!

TX.X-30 fan
05-03-2007, 07:12 PM
On a more serious note, When I back off the throttle with a good wave following me I give it a sec. and come on the throttle again just a little to level things out. I would think most boats react like that. :confused:

Sodar
05-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Something about his sexual orientation (dont want to offend anyone).

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=13996&page=2&highlight=clooney

Found it Mike!! If I really did offend you, I am sorry!! Guess I could have gone a little overboard!! Sorry!!

MYMC
05-03-2007, 07:23 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=13996&page=2&highlight=clooney

Found it Mike!! If I really did offend you, I am sorry!! Guess I could have gone a little overboard!! Sorry!!
I'm fine...big shoulders, no offense taken.

Sodar
05-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm fine...big shoulders, no offense taken.

So what, do you really have a close connection to Clooney? Do people tell you that you look like him? Is he your favorite actor? What is the deal? :confused: :D

TX.X-30 fan
05-03-2007, 07:42 PM

Wow, you did not tell me you married Maeghan as a cover up for your TRUE sexual preference!! Clooney is sooooo G@Y!!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Sodar
05-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks TX!! Love to stir the ole pot huh!?!?

TX.X-30 fan
05-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks TX!! Love to stir the ole pot huh!?!?

Right after I did that I felt sooooooo bad. :cry: But I must admit this has been fun. :uglyhamme :banana:

Sodar
05-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Right after I did that I felt sooooooo bad. :cry: But I must admit this has been fun. :uglyhamme :banana:

Well, feel free to pull it down!!

Harvey
05-03-2007, 08:12 PM
So who is going to toss out the, "my dad can beat up your dad" comment. Just kidding guys. :D

Since my power is still out at my house due the the storms in Texas and I am still at work this is the most entertainment I have had since yesterday.

ProTour X9
05-03-2007, 08:20 PM
8p8p I'll throw something in here: A CSX differs and is superior to the X Star in that it is a Direct Drive8p 8p

SDAhockey21
05-03-2007, 08:24 PM
In my opinion the CSX is the perfect boat...for certian places...

You really have to live in a costal area and ride salt to know that.

Not a lot of people around here are going to want to buy a 80k wakeboat and then not really be able to fish with it, and down here fishing is the thing.

Fishing boat by day wakeboard boat by night!!

Another plus

My dad loves to fish, I love to wakeboard, and we both love dive
That is the purpose of the boat right there

Maristar210
05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Sodar

Don't bash the CSX on an MC site, period.

Diesel

Don't like it? Think its expensive? Then pass on purchasing it....

I'm surprised at you guys:rolleyes:

Sodar as a Center Console owner you should love the flexibility a center console offers.

Mike,
Thanks for taking the high road. You are a class act.

Steve - an owner of a Maristar 210 who would love a CSX

ProTour X9
05-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Sodar

Diesel

Sodar as a Center Console owner you should love the flexibility a center console offers.

Mike,

Thya Thya Tha Thats all folks!!!!!!!:toast: :headbang: :guitar:

BrianM
05-03-2007, 10:44 PM
SCUBA...there it is! It does that really well and no other boat in the line does. You can put on your fins walk out the folding transom/backrest door and dive...that cannot be done in any other MC.

Feel better?

Thats what I thought the CSX looked built to do. Looks like a great dive boat.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
In my opinion the CSX is the perfect boat...for certian places...

You really have to live in a costal area and ride salt to know that.

Not a lot of people around here are going to want to buy a 80k wakeboat and then not really be able to fish with it, and down here fishing is the thing.

Fishing boat by day wakeboard boat by night!!

Another plus

My dad loves to fish, I love to wakeboard, and we both love dive
That is the purpose of the boat right there

That, to me, sums up the CSX. Go to other sites and look at the boats that people are trying to put towers on and load down b/c other parts of their families (the paying parts) like to fish.

Again, the Tampa Bay area (and intra-coastal waterway) screamed CSX to me. You had the fishermen out there trolling around, what looked like some good areas to go snorkel/scuba, and then a sporadic wakeboard/watersports boat. The build of the CSX seems to fit all those applications great. If I were in that area, the CSX would probably be on my radar (if I could afford it).

I balked at the idea of the CSX when I first heard about it, but it seems to be a versitile boat for the right market.

TX.X-30 fan
05-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Sodar

Diesel

Mike,

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Go bend some sheet metal!!!!

;) :D :rolleyes:

JohnE
05-04-2007, 09:59 AM
. When was the last time someone wrote about the ski wake behind a 32' Whaler?

I'll lighten it up a little. My buddy has a 28' Carolina Classic with twin Volvo diesels. The boat weighs over 16,000 lbs. He has a bet with the guy in the slip next to him that I can get up and ski behind it. We'll kno in a few weeks.:)

MYMC
05-04-2007, 11:26 AM
So what, do you really have a close connection to Clooney? Do people tell you that you look like him? Is he your favorite actor? What is the deal? :confused: :D
I was just picking the guy because he voted "sexiest man"...no affiliation.