PDA

View Full Version : Will GM or Ford rims fit?

87MCProstar
05-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Just curious if GM or Ford's 5 lug rims fit on our trailers? I think they are 5 lug with 4.5" pattern. Just have a couple of old rims with tires on them and just thinking it would make the trailer look a little nicer.
Tim

east tx skier
05-03-2007, 12:32 PM
I recall someone telling me that the 14" rims for a Ford Ranger pickup matched up nicely. No personal knowledge of this though.

TMCNo1
05-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I recall someone telling me that the 14" rims for a Ford Ranger pickup matched up nicely. No personal knowledge of this though.

The 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern is the older non-metric Ford and Chrysler Corp. pattern and is basically the standard in the trailer industry for the 5 lug wheel/hub. But, with a trailer you want to be sure that the wheel flange, that rests against the hub, has a "0" offset, meaning it is the same distance from the front of the wheel to the flange as it is to the backside of the wheel to the flange, for balanced wheel bearing load.

74stars
05-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I used the 15X7" wheels found on many 90's Ford Ranger / Bronco II and Explorers- They must be off of the 4WD for the center hole to clear the snout on the hub. I found out the hard way on another set of wheels I found, that the Jeep cherokee/wrangler 4WD center hole is too small. Had the tires mounted and everything- went to put them on and guess what... Had to start looking for the Ford stuff. FYI- The original wheels on my trailer were a set of 14X6 mopar ralley's- same as found on the dart/duster/ A body of the era.

74stars
05-03-2007, 02:08 PM
How they look on the trailer:

TMCNo1
05-03-2007, 04:42 PM
I used the 15X7" wheels found on many 90's Ford Ranger / Bronco II and Explorers- They must be off of the 4WD for the center hole to clear the snout on the hub. I found out the hard way on another set of wheels I found, that the Jeep cherokee/wrangler 4WD center hole is too small. Had the tires mounted and everything- went to put them on and guess what... Had to start looking for the Ford stuff. FYI- The original wheels on my trailer were a set of 14X6 mopar ralley's- same as found on the dart/duster/ A body of the era.

Most trailer wheels require a 3 1/4" hub hole, that is based off the Chrysler bearing hub rather than the sometimes smaller Ford. The open ended center caps are basically 3 1/16" caps that fit the Chrysler wheel on most boat trailers today.