PDA

View Full Version : HELP, please

mrjbq
05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I have a 1996 Maristar 200VRS. Apparently my batteries are dead, as the horn, pump, etc. are not functioning. How can I get the electric motor hatch up?
I tried jumping the post under the rear seat, but I think the dual battery switch is in the off position, because when jumped I still have no juice. HELP!!!

dpolen
05-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Just an idea, do you have access to a battery backup that you could plug into the cigarette lighter outlet to put some juice into the electrical system?

I bet someone else will have another idea, but this was my first thought.

Sodar
05-03-2007, 01:04 PM
If you can get an arm into the compartment, there is a quick release pull on the actuator that should let you open the hatch manually...

Loffgren
05-03-2007, 01:14 PM
May be stupid thought but do you have your dead man switch closed?

mrjbq
05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
My arm would have to be 4 feet long!

If my dual battery switch is in the off position, will the cigarette lighter trick still work?

mrjbq
05-03-2007, 01:16 PM
What is "dead man's switch?"

nashvillematt
05-03-2007, 01:16 PM
take a ratchet and take out the 2 bolts on the back of the pad.....

mrjbq
05-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Taking out the bolts will not help, I think. The actuator arm will still be holding down the back of the sundeck. Elaborate, please.

dpolen
05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
If my dual battery switch is in the off position, will the cigarette lighter trick still work?

Not likely, that would prevent the juice from going to the batteries since the electrical loop is closed.

mrjbq
05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
I took out the two bolts. No help at all, the deck could only be forced open about 1/8".

mrjbq
05-03-2007, 01:35 PM
May be stupid thought but do you have your dead man switch closed?

What is a dead man's switch?

east tx skier
05-03-2007, 01:37 PM
"Dead Man's Switch" is a/k/a the red safety lanyard near the throttle.

http://a1672.g.akamai.net/7/1672/116/20070401/www.ritzcamera.com/graphics/products/3-90/369105390.jpg

mrjbq
05-03-2007, 01:47 PM
dead mans switch is attached.....not the problem.
Anyone?

Diesel
05-03-2007, 02:02 PM
If the dual batt. switch is off how did you get the hatch down the last time?

Really the dual batt. switch should be irrelevant. Assuming nothing has changed from the last time you lowered the hatch you should be able to energize the circuit and open the hatch.

Sodar
05-03-2007, 02:06 PM

Really the dual batt. switch should be irrelevant. Assuming nothing has changed from the last time you lowered the hatch you should be able to energize the circuit and open the hatch.

Exactly! On my brother's Hallett, the switch is independent from the hatch. By this I mean that the battery switch can be turned off, so no accessories or ignition run, but the hatch actuator still works. He still leaves his hatch open about 6 inches in storage though, just in case anything happens, he can just reach in and pull the quick release pin and the hatch is open.

mrjbq
05-03-2007, 03:53 PM

OK, then the switch must not be off.
Why, then, when I jump the system, won't the hatch open, or the horn blow, or the pump turn on?
Right now, I'm ready to junk this thing:mad:

milkmania
05-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Why, then, when I jump the system, won't the hatch open, or the horn blow, or the pump turn on?

you taking offers????;)

I always heard the best deals on cars could be made when they were broke down on the side of the road:purplaugh

Diesel
05-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Do you have black to black and red to red. Black is negative(-) and red is positive(+). :o

What exactly are you using to "jump" the system? Use a fluke to measure the voltage at the jumping posts to ensure the circuit is not open. If there is a voltage you just might need to find a bigger "jumper"!

If there is no voltage then the circuit is open. Either the jumper terminals were not hooked up properly or the circuit breaker is tripped. I assume neither are easily accessible.

So I would get a reliable 12v source and access the back of the hatch switch in the dash. Since MC never uses relays you should be able to energize the actuator directly from the back of the switch. You will have to find a reliable ground, possibly the negative jumper terminal, or a grounding block under the dash.

mrjbq
05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
I got it. I removed the two bolts, then from the front of the sundeck, pushed back. I was then able to release the retaining pin and open the hatch.

Thanks for all your replies.

And yes I am taking offers. 200 hours, immaculate condition, monster tower, awesome stereo, and fully charged batteries!