PDA

View Full Version : Silverado Popping

Jwhitsett1129
05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Has anyone had any trouble with a Silverado making a popping noise when turning? It also pops when hitting bumps during a turn. I initially thought it might be the ball joints, but after doing a bit of research that may be ruled out. Any ideas, or similar issues??

JKTX21
05-03-2007, 11:19 AM
What year Silverado? Really sounds like the ball joints. Does it pop when you brake?

Sodar
05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Sure it is not your intermediate steering shaft? They have had to replace/relube this 3 times on my tahoe, twice on my dad's suburban and 4 times on my best friend's ssilverado...

dog paw
05-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Sure it is not your intermediate steering shaft? They have had to replace/relube this 3 times on my tahoe, twice on my dad's suburban and 4 times on my best friend's ssilverado...

Bingo! We put them in almost every day. They give problems in Bonnevilles, Grand Prix's and the vans also. That would drive me bannanas having that shaft pop and grab for 100 miles a day

Here's a part of the bullitin on it. I think I have tried posting them hear and had problems I could email it to you if you want

Subject: Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (I-Shaft) Assembly) #00-02-35-003M - (01/31/2007)

Models: 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)

2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the repair procedure with a permanent fix. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003L (Section 02 -- Steering).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips
Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

• Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).

• Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Correction

Replace the I-Shaft with P/N 19153614.
Do NOT lubricate or exercise the I-Shaft.

3event
05-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Another vote for intermediate steering shaft. Went on my company Grand Prix and on a buddy's - exact same car. His went at around only 30K I think, mine later.

trickskier
05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
I've had 3 Tahoe's and 2 Suburban's and they all pop when turning.

This is a different noise than the intermediate steering shaft, which like Cameron I've had replaced several times as well.

TX.X-30 fan
05-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Mine pops to, had it checked and they found nothing. I have had the idler arms go is that the same thing. signed Stupid!!!

funk
05-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I have an 04 silverado, complained to the dealer after 20k about the popping/clunking noise when turning sharp or hitting bumps. It was something to do with the steering column as stated above. Free replacement!! Actually, they have a new part that corrects the issue. Probably should be a recall but they told me they repair them all for free as consumers bring them in. Crazy??

Vegas X-Star
05-03-2007, 12:29 PM
This happened to me after I got rear-ended by a crew cab Ram. They replaced the frame and then the noise started...it was just some loose bolts on the frame but it was exactly as you described.

Jwhitsett1129
05-03-2007, 02:27 PM
It is a 99 Silverado. I have been paying more attention to the noise and am thinking it must be the steering shaft. It is coming from that area instead of the wheels so I don't think it is the ball joints. How much would replacing the intermediate steering shaft set me back? I installed a Borgeson shaft once on a CJ7 that i used to have...I don't think I want to try and do it myself as it was a real PITA!

trickskier
05-03-2007, 02:39 PM
All of mine have been done under warranty. Since this is a known issue, I would try talikng to the dealer and see if they would be willing to replace it under goodwill. At the very least they should comp the part and only charge you for the labor to put it on. If the dealer isn't willing to work with you I would contact customer service at 800-CHEVUSA.

dog paw
05-03-2007, 02:46 PM
The shaft lists for just under $100 bucks. If you have not done one before you will spew a few choice ones but it's not to hatefull. Some trucks do not have a indent for the lock bolt so you can get the steering wheel upside down. Be carefull not to turn the wheel without the shaft. The SIR load coil must stay centered or it will break.

(edit)

I see in you last post it's a 99 I'd double check yours to make sure it uses that type of shaft. I have a 99 Yukon that still used the "old" style shaft It has a ball and socket joint at the top and none on the bottom. The new shaft has a U joint at both ends and a splined slip yoke in the center

Ric
05-03-2007, 03:18 PM
All of mine have been done under warranty. Since this is a known issue, I would try talikng to the dealer and see if they would be willing to replace it under goodwill. At the very least they should comp the part and only charge you for the labor to put it on. If the dealer isn't willing to work with you I would contact customer service at 800-CHEVUSA. Yep, try the dealer. I actually read that it was merely an inconvenience and no mechanical or safety issue, but the tsb I once saw, instructed to simply grease the intermediate steering shaft.

dog paw
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Yep, try the dealer. I actually read that it was merely an inconvenience and no mechanical or safety issue, but the tsb I once saw, instructed to simply grease the intermediate steering shaft.

Yep, not a safety issue at all just annoying. GM stopped the greaseing thing because it would not last. They will only warrenty a replacement now. I highly doubt they will eat one on a 99 but it never hurts to ask. They do still have a grease kit for it, it will silence it for a while.

Jwhitsett1129
05-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge is at the tip of my fingertips on this forum. You guys (and gals) are a great resource and are always more than happy to help people out and share what you know. I feel as though I owe a lot of people a lot of beers!

Diesel
05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge is at the tip of my fingertips on this forum. You guys (and gals) are a great resource and are always more than happy to help people out and share what you know. I feel as though I owe a lot of people a lot of beers!

Don't wate you money on a new intermediate shaft it will do it again. I have finally figured out how to grease it to solve it forever. I will email you some directions. Takes about 30 min to do.

It could also be you idler arm and pitman arm. How many miles?

Diesel
05-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Here is a link to the proceedure.......

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3325

32offer
05-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I've had the same problem on both my '01 Silverado and my '05 Silverado. The dealer here will just lube it and it goes away for about 5 months, and then they lube it again. I also have a clunk noise coming from the rear end. They can't find a problem with that. It happens at the same time, too. When pulling away from stop signs, it makes one pop. Any suggestions?

Jwhitsett1129
05-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Just at 80,000 miles. It is a single pop (1 pop per turn) and sounds a bit like a piece of sheet metal would sound if it was tapped with a hammer or something. I can feel a slight jolt in the wheel when it happens as well.

Diesel
05-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I've had the same problem on both my '01 Silverado and my '05 Silverado. The dealer here will just lube it and it goes away for about 5 months, and then they lube it again. I also have a clunk noise coming from the rear end. They can't find a problem with that. It happens at the same time, too. When pulling away from stop signs, it makes one pop. Any suggestions?

Check the ujoints. They are sealed, non-greasable, and notorious for going out.

Jwhitsett1129
05-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Check the ujoints. They are sealed, non-greasable, and notorious for going out.

Copy that. I had to replace the rear drive shaft ujoint about 15,000 miles ago...