PDA

View Full Version : Indmar engines, not in MCs

djhuff
05-03-2007, 07:59 AM
I wanted to ask some of our engine gurus on this site about what a friend of mine was told about his Hammerhead engine in his BU.
He was told:
I had a problem with my boat this weekend and after a lot of research I thought I would share my findings.

1. No break in period is required on Hammerhead 383 engines (I wasted 10 hours of gas and fun).

2. Run straight 50 weight oil and not the reccomended 15/40w.

3. There is a known problem with the oil pressure gauge reading low. The solution is to have the dealer put an analog gauge and test it for you to make sure there is no problem.

4. If the boat appears to be making oil: Everytime your run your boat start and finish your ride above 4000 rpms for at least 2 min or more. This will burn off any fuel that has gotten in your oil.

5. Check your fuel PSI to make sure the it is reading 60-63psi.

6. If you live on a small private lake and you are not able to open it up to 4k RPM's change your oil every 25 hours. If not change it every 50 hours.

Number 4 concerns me, and I think the dealer was giving him a line of crap. His boat is an '06. If he's getting enough blow by to create a noticeable increase in oil quantity, wouldn't that be indicative of a more serious problem? And running above 4K RPMs is going to burn off the fuel???

Mods, not trying to be disparaging to another brand, just trying to help a friend out.

JimN
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM
It wouldn't be the first time I heard of a 'Bu dealer saying things like these.

1) No break-in period? Every mechanical device has a break-in period, it just depends on what it is that determines how long it takes.

2) Tell him to STHU. If 15W40 was so bad, would Indmar still put it in their motors AND offer a 3 year warranty?

3) The oil viscosity makes a difference in what the gauge shows. Thinner oil indicates somewhat lower. If you look into the oil filler cap and see oil running along the area below the valves/rockers, it's obviously getting oil. My Silverado's 5.7L indicates low pressure and if it has averaged 15K miles/year, it has been to the moon and most of the way back, no smoke at all and I just checked the compression last Saturday- 160-170.

Putting an analog gauge on it is not a solution, it's a test procedure.

4) If there's that much gas getting into the oil, running it at 4K will burn off more than just gas. Gas is a very bad lubricant and running at high RPM with diluted oil will kill a motor.

5) I wasn't aware that the fuel pressure should be that high. If the Carter pump hasn't changed since I was working on these (and I suspect it hasn't), the pressure was about 40-42 psi and I don't know how it would jump 50%

6) If someone has a ski boat just to putter around the whole time they run it, let me know and I'LL go slap them.

My advice would be to monitor the oil, regardless of how the motor is run. If it gets dark fast, change it more and see if there's an underlying cause.

The salesman must have been a defense attorney. Do you have "reasonable doubt" about whether an Indmar is better than a Hammerhead? If so, he did his job, but in a "Used Cars" way. When all else fails, dump on the competition. If you can't sell your product on it's quality, dump on the others. Heard it before, it's not gonna stop now.

I edited this message because some of what I posted was wrong.

BrianM
05-03-2007, 09:14 AM
The salesman must have been a defense attorney. Do you have "reasonable doubt" about whether an Indmar is better than a Hammerhead? If so, he did his job, but in a "Used Cars" way. When all else fails, dump on the competition. If you can't sell your product on it's quality, dump on the others. Heard it before, it's not gonna stop now.

I can think of a half dozen things Mercruiser motors have done and the half-azzed "solutions" they sent out for the dealers to "fix" them with. If theirs are so good, why was their presentation at the '99 Regal dealer meeting nothing but fire control? Their motors come off of the same GM production line as everyone else's. All of the marine engine companies add their systems and ship them out. They aren't that different.
:confused::confused: The Hammerhead is an Indmar motor.

If I rember correctly I think Indmar has a bulletin out on the Hammerhead about oil weight. I think the straight 40 or 50 weight oil is reccomended in that engine because of a low oil pressure situation coming of of high rpm runs. As for the rest of the items it sounds like a load of sh!t to me.

mlange
05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Have your buddy check out the following thread, which should clear some things up regarding the bulletin:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5694&hl=hammerhead+oil

Mike

cm02WS6
05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
About the oil pressure gage reading low....... We run a Response LXi at our ski club (Monsoon motor though), and our 2004 boat had a problem with the gage reading low oil pressure. Very low, as in it would beep at us quite often. We were worried, and our dealer really is no help, so I just hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gage to see if the problem wasn't electrical related. It turned out that the pressure was normal and the problem was just related to the pressure sensor. After we sold the boat, the next owner (also a member of our club) did some more research and found that there were documented problems with the grounding of the pressure sensor, which would cause our problem. Sure enough, all he did was hook up another grounding wire wrapped right around the threads and the digital readout always worked fine since then.

MYMC
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I could address all these but lets focus on number 4 as you did. If the engine is losing this much fuel past the rings there is a real problem...one that will lead to a radical increase in the size of the oil pan! This radical size increase is usually preceeded by a large "BANG"...when the excess fuel lights off in the oil pan.

Good lord this is quite a list!:rolleyes:

Diesel
05-03-2007, 03:48 PM
About the oil pressure gage reading low....... We run a Response LXi at our ski club (Monsoon motor though), and our 2004 boat had a problem with the gage reading low oil pressure. Very low, as in it would beep at us quite often. We were worried, and our dealer really is no help, so I just hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gage to see if the problem wasn't electrical related. It turned out that the pressure was normal and the problem was just related to the pressure sensor. After we sold the boat, the next owner (also a member of our club) did some more research and found that there were documented problems with the grounding of the pressure sensor, which would cause our problem. Sure enough, all he did was hook up another grounding wire wrapped right around the threads and the digital readout always worked fine since then.

MC had a similar problem on the LTR engine. MC had no fix either. So after I had verified true oil pressure was within specs wth a mechanical gauge I built a resistor pack in line with the oil sender to fake the gauge. This guys XStar would trip the low oil pressure alarm just about any time he came to an idle. VERY anoying.

Here is a bit more info from an earlier thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11021&highlight=mechanical

TMCNo1
05-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Do you ride in or behind this boat? If so, do you know how to swim and swim fast?

djhuff
05-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Been in it once.

Funny thing is, we rode all day Sunday, and he tried to start it after sitting and it acted like the fuel pump was going out (same exact symptoms my X30 had when it's fuel pump went. He still had fuel pressure though. then after being towed away, it fired up with a loud bang, then ran fine. All these fixes listed above, I can't see how it would change the problem he encountered this weekend.

ProTour X9
05-04-2007, 03:40 PM
My buddy must not know about his (moombas) boats break-in, they're boarding behind it brand new.:( :confused:

tommcat
05-04-2007, 03:50 PM
fuel should not be getting in the oil no matter what, and if it is there is no "burning it off"
there is either way too much fuel getting into the cylinders, or way too much blow by getting into the crankcase

skitilldark
05-05-2007, 11:51 AM
I have the MCX motor and I was "making oil" too. My problem was traced to a leaking fuel injector nozzle on engine power down(when there is no spark). The gas then could run into the crankcase. After a weekend of this, there would be a new half quart of oil rise in the level. Drove me crazy since I basically had to change oil everytime I went out. Don't know if that is the case here, but that's what happened to me.