PDA

View Full Version : Live Chat

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 11:02 PM
TT Admin,

A real time chat area on here would be fantastic if you could do it.

MarkP
07-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Brian did you cast your vote??

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Yes, yes I did.

MarkP
07-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Count me in

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Good on ya!

MasterCrafting
09-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Lets get that chat thing rolling! :steering:

TTAdmin
09-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Sorry that it has taken so long. I've figured out a way to integrate it but it will take quite a bit of programming time.

Is this something that people will definately use? I don't want to develop this if it's going to be something that is cool for while but then loses it's luster after a few months.

jimmer2880
09-14-2004, 05:54 AM
My only worry with live chat - is that we'll loose the historical aspects of the board (being able to search for a problem that happened in the past).

I'd love live chat, but worry what it'll do to the board.

H20skeefreek
09-14-2004, 07:18 AM
Sorry that it has taken so long. I've figured out a way to integrate it but it will take quite a bit of programming time.

Is this something that people will definately use? I don't want to develop this if it's going to be something that is cool for while but then loses it's luster after a few months.

I wouldn't mess with it. I tend to agree with mastercrafting. you can't search history on live chat.

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 07:46 AM
I don't see much difference then what most on here already doing. People post so fast it may as well be real time. I'm all for it. Their is no delay with real time. It could affect historical data and post count though. But, the upshot is no delay.

John B
09-14-2004, 08:34 AM
If it is more work for TT I think it is fine the way it is now.
Why fix something that works. :confused:

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 08:42 AM
John maybe he likes extra work. You ever think of that, huh?? :D huh??

John B
09-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Well with it the way it is now we can chat about a lot of different things at the same time. And I like it like this. :D

bcampbe7
09-14-2004, 09:16 AM
I probably would not use the chat feature now that I am use to the discussion...

sizzler
09-14-2004, 09:17 AM
if it works ,don't fix it

John B
09-14-2004, 09:19 AM
But if I don't get off the computer and get the boat hooked up
and get my *** to the lake I will be late.I have 15 min.and I have to be on the water.got to go will type at you guys then I get back. :D

Leroy
09-14-2004, 09:30 AM
I think the chat will be used and useful. It would also reduce some of the posted chat. I use it often, most recently we used chat for Fantasy Football draft and it was really good.

TTADMIN; Curious as to how you see it operating. Will the chat just roll off so to speak or is there a log kept? Will you be able to bring up a chat window anytime or will there always be a chat window on every TT page? Can you have chat groups?

TTAdmin
09-14-2004, 09:50 AM
TTADMIN; Curious as to how you see it operating. Will the chat just roll off so to speak or is there a log kept? Will you be able to bring up a chat window anytime or will there always be a chat window on every TT page? Can you have chat groups?
You can see the application that I would use at http://www.sigmachat.com. It does have the ability to keeps logs of the conversation but this is really for adminstrative purposes...not so much for archiving. The chat area would be a link on the navigation bar that opened up in the same place as these posts do. You can have different chat rooms... If you look at their site it will explain the capabilities of the application.

MasterCrafting
09-14-2004, 09:58 AM
I didnt mean that the chat would take over the board but for talking about your weekend or off (related) topic discussions..maybe like this format... www.newschoolers.com enter the site and on the left side there is a quick chat

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 10:09 AM
I probably won't use it as much. Like MarkP saying he could quit any time. I don't need this thing to be any more instantly interactive than it already is.

André
09-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Could be both fun and useful, also reduced the numbers of "Social" post with the winter coming up...I don't expect to have access to archives of Live chat.But i can imagine some live talk with a Mastercraft sponsored athlete about skiing with a scheduled date or a maintenance item on a monthly basis with a factory tech or even somebody from the design that we could talk with,ask questions,offer improvement ideas.
Everybody has always said how great this site is,how useful it is for used Mastercraft boats owners and first time buyers.With the new site ,you're batting 1 000 and this site is on top of anyothers...But,personnally for the last 3 years i never felt that there was a "link" between us and the factory peoples.I think many of us would like to see some factory peoples come to the board.Stupid question but are they allowed?
Keep up the good work!

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Remember when we first started using this board, and there were still postings on the old board? It was hard to keep up, and hard to get the questions answered at times. I think the live chat could be useful in many ways, but it may prove to be a double-edged sword.

My $.02.

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Sizzler, London England huh? That's cool, how's the water temp?

Leroy
09-14-2004, 11:57 AM
That's a good one Andre. Maybe have a PC in the break or lunch room? However most companies really worry about their employees talking about work in a real time like that. I know we are told don't talk about work period unless you are the press guy.

André
09-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Leroy
That's what i think too...There must be someone at the factory that is a customer service dept. rep. who's job it is to establish some kind of link between customers and owners.

NeilM
09-14-2004, 09:28 PM
I agree, André... it would be nice to have a formal method to get feedback right from MasterCraft. TTADMIN tells us they look at some of the posts, but, if they do, it's definitely a one-way ride...

slink976
10-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Is there a way to incorperate a online chat room on this site? I think it would be rather easy to do and the maintenance would not be that great. There are a few good Java applets that would even work.

What are everyone elses thoughts?

dmayer84
10-27-2006, 01:46 PM
I implemented one once before, on a website that I was running. Literally cut and paste the code.

flyingskibiker
10-27-2006, 03:59 PM
that would be cool. but i hope that people would still use the boards. it's a great way for people to go back and search for topics that always seem to come up over and over. plus, i find the board useful to just get general knowledge that might be used in the future...

stevo137
10-27-2006, 04:07 PM
This has been discussed in the past and at one time TT Admin talked about adding it.
I think it's worth a try.

bigmac
10-27-2006, 04:26 PM
There is a TMCowner's chat as part of the TMCowners frappr map (http://www.frappr.com/tmcowners/map)...rarely used...

Another simple option would be to add Shoutbox. It's a relatively simple hack, but IMHO this TMC site has bandwidth problems as it is. I can't imagine that a real-time chat capability would be a good idea from an overall site functionality standpoint - bandwidth and/or transfer limits.

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Honestly, I spend enough time on here without a chat option. :o

Ryan
10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
The beauty of the "board" format is for those of us that can't get on every day. I never even knew there was a chat room on the Frapper site, maybe I'll give it a try.

I may be biased though. See, I've explained to one particular person, from time to time, that The MC site is not a chat room. If we had one I might lose my parent (wife) permission slip.:D

M-Funf
10-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Honestly, I spend enough time on here without a chat option. :o

Yeah, what he said!!!

TMCNo1
10-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah, what he said!!!

With a chat room, not everyone would get a invitation to UMP's wedding, because Gene and the Gene Pool would talk all time and no one could get a word in edge wise!

88 PS190
10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
I like the one on www.archerytalk.com

good spot to go while bored... but they have a larger number of members active, over winter it could be a good thing to use.

Doug G
10-27-2006, 07:40 PM
The beauty of the "board" format is for those of us that can't get on every day. I never even knew there was a chat room on the Frapper site, maybe I'll give it a try.

I may be biased though. See, I've explained to one particular person, from time to time, that The MC site is not a chat room. If we had one I might lose my parent (wife) permission slip.:D

Ditto ... I like being able to be away for a period of time and come back and catch up.

So I checked out the frapper chat... nuff said

Let's spend that time getting Ump to wakeboad!

redmike
10-27-2006, 10:01 PM
:twocents: Alot of good info is posted on here for later viewing, it would be sad if some of the good info was not posted because you just happened to catch the answer in chat. That being said, ETS would never get to sleep/work/or put 303 on his skins if he had to moderate a chat room all the time.....:D

TMCNo1
10-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Ditto ... I like being able to be away for a period of time and come back and catch up.

So I checked out the frapper chat... nuff said

Let's spend that time getting Ump to wakeboad!

I went up there one time and all I heard were people snooring!

atlfootr
10-28-2006, 07:09 AM
I think, I suggested this when I signed in back in Nov 2004.
Skype is a great program to use! :)
Please consider it = thanks.

JohnnyB
10-28-2006, 10:27 AM
:twocents: Alot of good info is posted on here for later viewing, it would be sad if some of the good info was not posted because you just happened to catch the answer in chat. That being said, ETS would never get to sleep/work/or put 303 on his skins if he had to moderate a chat room all the time.....:D

I agree with the benefit of the posted format for later viewing, especially because I can only spend time on the site every few days. Also, at times, when you off for a week or so, it's easier to catch up.

atlfootr
11-01-2006, 05:42 PM
There is a TMCowner's chat as part of the TMCowners frappr map (http://www.frappr.com/tmcowners/map)...rarely used...Currently, as of this minute.

NO ONE :noface:
Guest 2580 has joined the chatroom
Users currently in chat are Guest2580

Workin' 4 Toys
11-02-2006, 08:19 AM
If there was "chat" Wakebroad might come back.....:purplaugh

slink976
11-13-2006, 12:40 PM
That Chat room is on a completely different site. What I was meaning is a little applet that would run to the right of the forum. Just a small chat feature. I see that we always have quick reply's to some of our of topic discussions, a chat feature could really help out as you are surfing the site for the good stuff!

canadianskier
05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
anyway of adding online chat to this site??

flipper
05-12-2008, 04:09 PM
I think it would be cool, but at the same time agree with some of the others in that a lot of good info may be lost on chat rooms instead of being posted for everybody to learn.

Gonzo
05-12-2008, 04:42 PM
We have live chat on our truck forum (67-72chevytrucks.com) I Rarely use it. If its no trouble its a great add on, but I would put consistancy and maintining this faster platform above adding a Chat.

Just my .02

ProTour X9
05-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I think this is just like chat the way it is, if you have fast internet and keep hitting the "Refresh button". I went with the UMP Option.

TMCNo1
05-12-2008, 07:12 PM
That's what we have now, why screw with it!

LKNMC
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
I voted for UMP

brucemac
05-14-2008, 05:55 PM
i'm all for it, but i think you'd find that most people wouldn't join for a variety of reasons, including work firewalls, etc.

your'e essentially talking about an irc channel. it would have to be constantly monitored, managed, etc.

i agree, it would be awesome if you could get people to join, but it would only supplement this bulletin board imo.

TMCNo1
05-14-2008, 06:51 PM
i'm all for it, but i think you'd find that most people wouldn't join for a variety of reasons, including work firewalls, etc.

your'e essentially talking about an irc channel. it would have to be constantly monitored, managed, etc.

i agree, it would be awesome if you could get people to join, but it would only supplement this bulletin board imo.

Apparently some people haven't seen the new upgrades and the message board/chat capabilities.

thijs
05-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I have noticed some changes around here with the board. I think one of them is a notice that I got a new PM right on the home page of this forum. Very nice. Still no moving avatars though???? ;)

TheOneandOnly
05-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Do it, suprised its not already been done, im for it!!!