PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Evinrude outboard motor

beatle78
05-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi guys,

I don't know a lot about the electronics side of 2 stroke outboards.

I have ~1990 48HP 2-stroke Evinrude outboard motor on our pontoon boat.

It ran fine when we put her away last season. I took her out and she idles beautifully, and will rev smoothly when I give it a little throttle.

When I try to increase the throttle any further than a fast idle (by ear I'de say it's ~2000-2500 RPMs) the engine skips something fierce and the RPMs never go any higher than the 2000-2500 RPMs.

It has 2 carbs and I ripped them off last night and notice a little slime in the inlet that goes from the float bowl to the main jet. I cleaned them all up and put them back on and it still does the same thing. Tried new plugs and that didn't work either.

I have no clue about the electrical side of these engines.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
beatle78

mbeach
05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
rule of thumb is try the easy things first. what comes to mind is did you run the gas out of the carbs before storing and are you using last year's gas? i would try using some gumout or the like. whenever i have trouble with my snow blower up here in the frozen north, it is due to my not having run the previous season's gas out and thus requires my spraying gumout directly into the carb with motor running to take care of problem. my guess is that it is not electrical since you have never had this problem before so look for the obvious/easy things as proper gas venting, cracked vacuum line, etc. the culprit may really surprise you. there, my 2 pesos worth.

Maristar210
05-02-2007, 03:12 PM
...........................dohh

beatle78
05-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi guys,

thanks for the input. I did stabilize the gas last year and I am running last years gas (stabilized).

I found a possible solution here.

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/topics/005682.html

It may be due to a bad temp sensor and the engine prevents itself from running at higher RPMs......

beatle78
05-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I figured it out. It was a bad temp sensor causing a high RPM cut out. I unplugged the Temp sensor and it ran like a champ!!!!

Slinkyredfoot
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I figured it out. It was a bad temp sensor causing a high RPM cut out. I unplugged the Temp sensor and it ran like a champ!!!!

I know I am proud of you, good job

DooSPX
05-02-2007, 10:55 PM
thats a good job there!

beatle78
05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
thanks guys.

That website has some pretty good tech stuff on all brands of outboard motors. I highly recommend it.

Rankings
#1 TMC
#2 http://www.outboardrepairs.com

[pat on the back] I thought I was gunna do something drastic, call a dealer and have them look at it.:eek:

Maristar210
05-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Glad you figured it out. Shows you what I know....

endl
05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Make sure you dont have any crud in your thermostat that is causing that sensor to keep it from idleing. My 25hp had sucked junk into the thermostat last year causing that same deal. I toook it and had it fixed and the thermostat had duck week, bits of styrefoam, ect in it. Make sure those screens on the outdrive dont have holes in them ect.