PDA

View Full Version : GT40P heads or Machine work

87MCProstar
05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
For future reference what would be better. Getting a new set of gt40p heads or having mine fully machined (ported/polished/valve jobs etc). Seems to be it would be on the cheaper side to have them machined, and if performance is going to be close or better it just makes sense.
Tim

JimN
05-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Head work plus a performance intake manifold should get you where you want to be (GONE). Why not call a speed shop and ask about what increases you can reasonably expect from various changes?

Danimal
05-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a friend that just had a 1987 Ford 351 completely rebuilt. The speed shop said it dyno'd at 470 HP. I will try to get pictures of the motor. It is a thing of beauty! It better be for the money he sunk into this thing. He just finished breaking in the motor. I cannot wait to get out on the water with this thing!

TRBenj
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
A valve job on your heads will cost about $275. To have them professionally ported and polished will cost 2-3 times that, and they still wont perform as well as the GT40p's.

You can pick up a fully reconditioned set of GT40p's for $400-600. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Either way you decide, I can give you the heads up on where to buy, as well as the name of my machine shop in Torrington. Just shoot me a PM.

Ryan
05-02-2007, 12:20 PM
You can also pick up a pair of brand new GT40p heads for $550 shipped if you know where to look. ;) Add another $45 to get them drilled from 7/16 to 1/2 mounting holes and you're set.

87MCProstar
05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
TR & Ryan,
Are those prices for the set heads or for each one?

TR - I'd like to know where to pick up a set so I know where to look when ready to buy. Do you happen to use either Billy the Kid or Leifert's? I know that Billy is mainly Chevy and Leif is usually Ford.

Tim

TRBenj
05-02-2007, 12:47 PM
TR & Ryan,
Are those prices for the set heads or for each one?

TR - I'd like to know where to pick up a set so I know where to look when ready to buy. Do you happen to use either Billy the Kid or Leifert's? I know that Billy is mainly Chevy and Leif is usually Ford.

Tim

I use Leiferts. Larry used to work at my grandfather's garage and really knows his stuff. They mainly do Chevies, but they do some Fords too.

The prices we're listing is for a pair of heads. Im sure Ryan is referring to TriState Cylinder Head (http://www.tristatecylinderhead.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=40). Their prices went up $50 recently, but its still a great deal. I also know of a place that sells the set (reconditioned) for $350. If youre interested, Ill PM you the info.

Ryan
05-02-2007, 01:16 PM
That's for a pair of heads. There are 6 available as of this morning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180104285225&rd=1,1

PS that $45 to get drilled also included a set of brass freaze plugs that I had put in. The galvinized could hold up just fine, but I chose to do it right.

TRBenj
05-02-2007, 01:24 PM
That's for a pair of heads. There are 6 available as of this morning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180104285225&rd=1,1

PS that $45 to get drilled also included a set of brass freaze plugs that I had put in. The galvinized could hold up just fine, but I chose to do it right.

Clearwater was my source for the $350 refurbished set. Either way, give them a call and see what they have.

FYI, Tristate's set has had a 5 angle valve job done and upgraded springs installed, so if you ever plan on adding a cam theyre a bargain. The stock GT40p springs are only good up to about .500 of lift (which is fine for a stock cam but marginal for an upgrade).

I went the other route and bought a used set of heads ($250). For what it cost for a valve job and upgraded springs, I spent more than Tristate would have charged me for a new set with a 5-angle to boot. Hind sight is 20/20!

87MCProstar
05-02-2007, 04:04 PM
TR,
I used to have a 94Z28 that I raced and Larry did the motor on that car for me, he did an amazing job for me too. I am going to save all that information for those two places, I don't know if I am going to do that this summer or at the end of the season. The motor runs GREAT now really don't want to mess with it during the season, since it is soo short here to begin with. But thanks for all that info, its goin come in handy.