PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter and other things on LT-1

justinglow
05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Hey guys I just ordered a bunch of tune up parts for my LT-1. Has anyone ever changed the fuel filter on the pressure side of the pump? Do you have to depressurize it first before taking the filter out? If so how? Also anyone know the correct spark plug to run in that engine? Last question what is a good oil to put in it without gowing through the big debate? Mobil 1 10w-30 ok? Thanks in advance for your help.

SkySkiSpokane
05-02-2007, 12:01 AM
I have done all of the above. I just took the filter off under pressure and tried to catch the gas with a drip pan. I don't know if that is right but it worked. I took a plug to the auto parts store and they had the same one in stock. They couldn't find any of the premium plugs (Bosch or SplitFire) for it though. I run Mobile 1 10w-30 in mine. I run in some cold weather so that is why I use it. I could probably run 10w-40 in the summer. When in doubt or in need of parts call the boys at www.skidim.com. They are inboard the gods!! Hope this helps!

justinglow
05-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Have you changed the thermostats (both) yet? Do you have an oil filter # to cross?

JimN
05-02-2007, 12:25 AM
The correct spark plug is AC MR43LTS. If you can use the long oil filter, AC PF-1218 is a good one, or WIX/NAPA Gold equivalent.

To de-pressurize the fuel line, remove the cap from over the Shrader valve and place a rag over it when you press the needle in. Once it squirts, you're done. Keep the rag in place for when you remove the filter.

JKTX21
05-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Speaking of fuel filters, does my boat have two? I have replaced the fuel filter closest to the engine, but noticed some kind of filter on the line above the fuel cell last weekend when I was measuring the vent line to replace.

I have a 96 Prostar with a "regular" 350.

JimN
05-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Yup- you have two of them.

SkySkiSpokane
05-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Have you changed the thermostats (both) yet? Do you have an oil filter # to cross?

Nope, I haven't needed to do that. I haven't had any temp issues at all.

As far as Oil filter numbers Jimn has the AC# I use a K&N HP-2007.

justinglow
05-02-2007, 08:45 AM
What and where is the Shrader valve located?

JimN
05-02-2007, 10:40 AM
A Shrader valve looks like a tire valve. It's located on the fuel line and has a black plastic cap on it. It should be near the front of the motor. It may be easier to see and get to if you remove the plastic "Corvette" covers.

SkySkiSpokane
05-02-2007, 12:16 PM
A Shrader valve looks like a tire valve. It's located on the fuel line and has a black plastic cap on it. It should be near the front of the motor. It may be easier to see and get to if you remove the plastic "Corvette" covers.

I learn new things on this board all the time. I had no idea my motor had a schrader valve. I have never seen it. I will have to go check it out next time I am out. Thanks Jim!!

Thrall
05-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty certain the long oil filter won't work. Won't fit in on mine at least.
I've never found the fual line at the filter to have pressure in it when changing. I guess it bleeds off after a while because there'a a dedicated 2 sec cycling of the fuel pump when you turn the key on each time to pressurize the system. I use a cut off 1q oil bottle under the filter (or a rag) to catch the gas.

justinglow
05-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Thrall,

Is there just one fuel filter? The one after the pump or is there one in line before the pump also?