PDA

View Full Version : Leak under steering wheel

brettpro
05-01-2007, 09:50 PM
First time posting although I've been reading up for almost a year now and trying to learn - Hopefully the pics will show up.

98 Maristar 200 VRS, LT-1 motor

Since I bought the boat, every time I go out the carpet under the steering wheel gets wet (see pic taken after about 40 minutes on the water). I think that it's the heater and I assumed it was b/c last year when I had the throttle up, the water under the carpet would warm up. So....I tightened the red faucet looking knob (see other pic) and now there is definitely less water and it no longer gets warm when it is throttled up. That being said, by the end of the day, the carpet under the steering wheel is pretty much soaked (and it's not from the cooler full of beverages or from me getting out of the water after skiing or wakeboarding).

Is there a cold line that goes under the that area as well? If that is the case, how do I turn it off so it doesn't leak up through the carpet? If this isn't the problem, what else could it be? :confused: :o

Yeah, yeah, I know, my toes are as ugly...and that my seat needs a new bracket - it's one project after another.

Todd Brosius
05-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Yes, it's your heater, either you have a defective core or a leaking hose. I had that same problem in my '04 197. I had a defective heater coil from heatercraft and they replaced the core at NO cost to me. I did all the labor myself. In my humble opinion you are doing the correct thing by shutting off the valve that delivers the hot water to the heater but for some reason I believe that you also need an in-line valve to shut off the return line becuase I believe it back feeds a little when the other valve (which you have turned off) is shut off. I installed an in-line valve on each of my hoses just in case it happens again. I also have the shut off on the motor like you do. You will have to remove the kick panel by the driver's feet and remove the heater to replace the core of the heater. Not to difficult, just a little time consuming. If you are lucky just a leaky hose, but I doubt it. Good luck.

Brazos Bum
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
'98 probably has dual AirGuide speedos - correct? Do they both work properly? Could be that the line has come off the back of one of them or is cracked and the water is coming up the speedo line.

I didn't realize that water would migrate all the way up the line if it isn't connected to the speedo until I left one of mine open after installing Perfect Pass. The first time I got the boat up to speed a good stream of water started pouring out of the open speedo line.

brettpro
05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Todd - do you have a pic that you can post so I can see how / where you installed the in-line valve? I'll remove the panel tomorrow and see what it looks like under there...we'll see how it goes.

Brazos - I'll check that tomorrow as well - didn't even occur to me that that could be the problem.

Todd Brosius
05-01-2007, 11:04 PM
My boat is a ways away, but what I did is install valves in both hoses in the bilge area just in front of the motor. I just located both hoses, that in my boat lay on the floor of the bilge area and simply cut the hose and installed valves with levers on them and then knew, FOR SURE that NO water was getting to the heater and that completely solved my problem until I had time to fix the heater. And in the future if something were to happen to the heater again, I can simply raise my motor cover shut off all the valves and continue boating without worry. Sorry I can not post a pic because once again my boat is 40 miles away from my house to our lake. Hopefully that will help though. Any other questins let me know and I'll try to help. I feel your frustration, but it can be fixed, but for now stop that water from leaking!

FrankSchwab
05-02-2007, 12:16 AM
No AirGuide speedos on mine; a Single speedo with a transom-mounted paddlewheel.

Jesus_Freak
05-02-2007, 01:33 AM
I didn't realize that water would migrate all the way up the line if it isn't connected to the speedo until I left one of mine open after installing Perfect Pass. The first time I got the boat up to speed a good stream of water started pouring out of the open speedo line.

Yep, at 30 MPH, the stagnation pressure (which is what your pitot tubes are "feeling") is around 30 feet of water. IOW the tubes can support a column of water (of any diameter) 30 feet vertically.