PDA

View Full Version : Interior Fiberglass Care?

msetexas
05-01-2007, 08:21 PM
What is the general thought on interior fiberglass care? Do most folks just wipe it down and use an occasional wax, or is more extensive care normal (such as a cleaner/polish/wax cycle)? I have never been able to determine the best practice for dash, under-cushion fiberglass, etc. - thanks ahead of time for ideas.

Mark

TMCNo1
05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
What is the general thought on interior fiberglass care? Do most folks just wipe it down and use an occasional wax, or is more extensive care normal (such as a cleaner/polish/wax cycle)? I have never been able to determine the best practice for dash, under-cushion fiberglass, etc. - thanks ahead of time for ideas.

Mark
Same care and love as the exterior fiberglass surfaces. And welcome to Team Talk!

msetexas
05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
TMCNo1:

Thanks for the advice and I'm glad to finally be an MasterCraft owner (I'm a prior Nautique and Malibu owner).

TMCNo1 or anyone else have suggestions/tips on cleaning your hull where is rests on your trailer bunk pads. My only solution is to clean it in the water (I have no access to a lift) but that is difficult and limits the ability to use a cleaner - just a brush.

Thanks again,
Mark

BrianM
05-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I generally wipe down the interior fiberglass surfaces with 303 when I am doing the vinyl. Much easier than wax.

Sodar
05-02-2007, 11:59 AM
I generally wipe down the interior fiberglass surfaces with 303 when I am doing the vinyl. Much easier than wax.

Before selling my 190, I tried the "miracle solution" (303) on the fiberglass dash and it seemed to make the dash very blotchy... sort of the look you get when you wipe Armor-All on stuff other than rubber/plastic. What did I do wrong?

BrianM
05-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Before selling my 190, I tried the "miracle solution" (303) on the fiberglass dash and it seemed to make the dash very blotchy... sort of the look you get when you wipe Armor-All on stuff other than rubber/plastic. What did I do wrong?
You probably used too much. The darker colors will streak and blotch if there is too much product. I usually do my seats first and then just wipe down the fiberglass and dash with the residual on the rag. Gives a nice deep shine and the UV protection with no streaking.

TMCNo1
05-02-2007, 12:16 PM

After application, try wiping it down with a damp rag to blend in the oils, or try Pledge Furniture Polish, but spray it on the rag and apply it then buff it with a soft towel, instead of spraying it on the dash, then spreading and buffing.

BrianM
05-02-2007, 12:21 PM
From 303s website

GELCOAT FIBERGLASS
A Blotchy or Streaky finish
A blotchy or streaked appearance is what can occur when:

The user waits before drying the treated surface (as one does with wax…but 303 is not a wax and not used like wax).
The user uses way too much product (common…one should be able to do a 40` fiberglass RV the first time with no more than 1 quart of 303 A. Protectant).
The user continues to use the same drying cloth to "wipe dry" after that cloth has become damp with 303. A 303'd surface cannot be wiped dry with a damp cloth. The correction for a smudgy, blotchy appearance (brought about by using too much 303 and/or then not wiping the surface "completely dry" before the water in the 303 evaporates) is:

Take a clean, absorbent cloth such as an old towel. Fill a bucket 2/3 full of clear water. Soak the towel in the bucket, then wring out about 2/3 of the water. Using the wet towel, wipe a 2' x 2' area of smudged fiberglass, getting that area wet with water.
Then, with a soft, clean, absorbent, DRY cloth, wipe that area completely dry. What happens here is the water causes the unabsorbed, unbonded excess 303 polymer on the surface to instantly go into solution so it's easily wiped away. The finish left after this is the beautiful, glossy, repellent finish expected with `303'.
Reapplication: Spray on, then immediately wipe completely dry. This process is much like "Windexing" a window, but takes less product. On a fiberglass RV, the caps start to fade first. It's necessary to redo the sides once for every 3-5 times you do the caps.

Sodar
05-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I think I figured out the problem... I have a specific 303 rag that I use to wipe the vinyl down and then store the 303 rag in a ziplock bag for the next use, therefore the rag is saturated with 303. According to the quote by Brian, I should use a dry rag to wipe it off fiberglass.

BrianM
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
I think I figured out the problem... I have a specific 303 rag that I use to wipe the vinyl down and then store the 303 rag in a ziplock bag for the next use, therefore the rag is saturated with 303..
That is a great idea! The rag is always clean after wiping down the upholstery but saturated with 303. Then it hangs in the dirty garage to dry and get dusty. Seem like a waste of good 303. Now you have solved that problem

milkmania
05-02-2007, 03:33 PM
That is a great idea! The rag is always clean after wiping down the upholstery but saturated with 303. Then it hangs in the dirty garage to dry and get dusty. Seem like a waste of good 303. Now you have solved that problem

I was advised to also use the zip lock bag method from a guy on the other end of the phone @ 303 products.....

works great;)