PDA

View Full Version : Life of Upholstery and Carpet

Tom Wortham
01-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Before the responses start flowing... I know it depends on: location-weather, storage, usage, care-taking, etc. Just wanted to get an idea from you long-term owners, how long have you had the MC skins/carpet on your boat and how it is holding up. For myself, I am the second owner of an 86 that I bought in 95. It has org. skins and carpet. Has only 417 hours. I'm guessing you should be able to get 15 years? At least? I am in the process of changing both carpet and skins.

Lance
01-29-2005, 11:07 AM
My 87 Prostar has about 900 hours on it and I have been the owner since 1989. For the most part the carpet and upholstery are still in pretty good shape. The problem I have with the carpet is that one one occasion a friend brought his dog down and we had to take him with us. Not sure what kind of a dog it was but it left a lot of white hair in the carpet. For about 6 years I have been fuming about this as I have been unable to get it out. I have probably spent 10 hours working on this and still find it now and then. Basically took rolls of packing tape and wrapped tape around my hand with adhesive facing out and used it like a giant lint brush to get as much as I could. Now it is a tweezer or needle nose. Most people probably don't notice but this kind of thing drives me nuts.

As far as the upholstery, it is still in pretty good shape except for the seat bottoms on the front seats (of course they get the most use and have basically worn out). Also have several cuts in the engine cover from inadvertently banging the boom against it when getting it in and out (not me but my somewhat careless buddies). My boat very rarely sat in the sun except when being used which probably helps. I have recently ordered a full set of skins plus the bottoms for the front seats. My plan is to replace only the bottoms for now and probably redo the whole thing (carpet & skins) in about 3-5 years to set it up for the second half of its life.

Of course the rear seat looks great but that is because it has only been in the boat for about 15 hours. I dont' ever see that changing as we have a pontoon for cruising and no rear seat makes the MC much more functional for what it was designed for.

ski_king
01-29-2005, 11:15 AM
I replaced both carpet and upolstery in my 82 after in 2000 (18 years). It needed it about 3 years sooner. I used a towel on the seat for those 3 years while I found the "right" shop.

If yours has the L shaped observer seat, the weak part is right at the L.
My rear seat also took a beating from the kids steping onit getting to the platform. It did set out a few years until the kids came along and the wife demanded it be put back in the boat.

Leroy
01-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Lance; for the dog hair get/borrow a Dyson vacuum cleaner. They have one with "pet attachment." Our black lab makes the carpet black with hair, but this thing picks up every piece.

rodltg2
01-29-2005, 01:19 PM
lance , was the dog a dalmation? i had one that would leave needle like hairs in the carpet and it was impossible to get out. i havrnt had the dog in 5 years and i still find hairs ..

MarkP
01-29-2005, 06:28 PM
It did set out a few years until the kids came along and the wife demanded it be put back in the boat.

I hope that dont happen to me:uglyhamme