PDA

View Full Version : Help finding parts for restoration.....

bxroads
05-01-2007, 12:25 AM
This is my first post here. I purchased a 1983 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes just this past weekend. I'm tickled; the boat is in great shape.

Other than a good buffing job there's really not much that I'm going to do with the fiberglass. I would, however, like to replace some trim and accessories as listed below:

Rubber bumper rail
Instrument panel
Steering wheel
Side windshield glass

Everything else I can repair and paint.

As for the instrument panel, Iím open to any suggestions. I have no desire to keep the boat original, I just want it to look nice. If there is a kit that will replace everything, gauges and all, Iím OK with that.

Thanks in advance!

Hereís a little eye candy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/Cropmastercraft.jpg

trunderw
05-01-2007, 08:44 AM
I need the dash panel for my 87 prostar. I was thinking about taking mine off, gluing the broken pieces back together, sanding it smooth, and dunking it in some imitation rhino-lining. any thoughts on that?

bxroads
05-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I took another good look at my dash this morning. Its really in good shape. I previously stated that I wouldn't mind a complete new unit but after further review it is not necessary. Like you, I just need the panel. I'll research a few options and report back.

trunderw
05-01-2007, 09:56 AM
sounds good; i was thinking about doing the line-x stuff on the windshield frame as well

pilot02
05-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Rubrail was most likely made by tacomarine.com Can be purchased online through westmarine.com, boatersworld.com.
Gauges were most likely VDO and replacement sets can be purchased through sites like egauges.com as well as West and Boater's world.
Keep it as original as possible... my .02

trunderw
05-01-2007, 10:16 AM
does anyone know what the dash console panel is made of? It's a rubbery plastic material (87 prostar)...I'm just wondering what will adhere to it

dichdoc
05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Here is a thread on what I did to my 84 dash:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7588&highlight=jeweling+dash

I'm not sure what "panel" you're talking about got pics of the dash?
I agree with West Marine for Rub Rail the rubber insert is inexpensive and easy to install (just add boiling water) the shipping on the Aluminum rail killed me.
Steering wheels can be orderd through almost any auto parts store I used Car Quest and they had a near original one for under $50.00
Side windshield glass might be tough to come by I'm assuming you have the little spider web cracks in the plastic? Mine were also alittle hazey and polished them with meguires plastic polish and a buffer and they turned out pretty well. Might be able to get a local glass shop to cut new plastic??
Boat looks super clean congratulations. Travis

jraben8
05-01-2007, 02:42 PM
That is a fantastic looking boat. I didn't remember the striping on the motor box like that on an '83 but that was a long time ago...

Oh, and a number of years ago, I was able to purchase a new '87 Prostar dash from Darrell Moore (dealer) in Houston. Might be worth a phone call or one of the guys that hang out here may be able to help.

TMCNo1
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
does anyone know what the dash console panel is made of? It's a rubbery plastic material (87 prostar)...I'm just wondering what will adhere to it

You are apparently talking about the whole dash surround that the gauges, switch plates set in that has the leathery texture to it, right? It is a molded vinyl faced piece that has a fairly hard plastic foam structure. Cleaned up and a good application of Armor-All or 303 Protectant will normally bring them back to life, but over a few days, it will soak in and leave the surface a nice matt black instead of shiney.

ski_king
05-01-2007, 02:53 PM
The side panels of the windshield are close to flat if not completly flat. I think you can replace with clear plastic or lexan sheet cut to size.

I updated my dash a few years ago. The orginal "wood grain" was faded and I replaced the dash panels (both upper and lower) with 1/4 in. oak plywood. I added about 10 coats of spar urethane and it still looks good.
I also updated the speedometers and other gauges and added a depth meter.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6966&d=1140665801

MMCCAR12
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I have a 83 SS and if I can help with anything just let me know. They are great boats. I just converted to elect. ignition over the weekend.
Mike

bxroads
05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Ski King,

Awesome dash! Its really got the wheels turning. I appreciate it!

MMCCAR12,

You can bet I'll take you up on it. I've never had an inboard so I've a steep learning curve. My engine and transmission functioned flawlessly during a 4 hour testing session this past weekend. The prior owner had already converted to the electric ignition. He told me to just stick my hand to the distributor and find out!

The darn carb is jetted perfectly and running to perfection now. I hope to keep it that way. It'll go from idle to a 100% throttle slam with no bog what so ever!

Jesus_Freak
05-02-2007, 01:04 AM
This is my first post here. I purchased a 1983 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes just this past weekend. I'm tickled; the boat is in great shape.

Welcome. Nice ride.

trunderw
05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
tmcno1, that's sweet, that's what I'd like to do to mine now. Did you just take it to an upholsterer and have them do it? or is yours just newer than mine :|

dcstreetrods
07-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Hello I saw your offer of assistance so I thought I would write. I have a 1984 Mastercraft with the original 351w pcm motor. The distributor is original and I want to replace it with an electronic distributor. I would appreciate any suggestions / part numbers etc. you can give me. I build street rods as a hobby so I know how to do the installation. I just want to make a good product choice.
Thanks