PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS Customer Service

tex
05-01-2007, 12:08 AM
I know people were asking questions about which GPS to buy. I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. The other day my power plug blew up inside my truck. The plug was bad and my acc. socket wouldn't work. I did not know which caused which. I called Garmin who promply sent me out a new cord at no cost(I had never registered my unit). It arrived and actually was a wall unit with all the plugs for US and overseas travels. I called them and told them the issue. They told me to keep the wall plug and they would send me a new car one for free. It was about $65.00 worth of free stuff to someone who had not registered his warranty! They have my business!

nuckinfutz
05-01-2007, 01:45 AM
tex,
Good to know. Ive bought a Magellan and have had the VERY worst experiance of customer support. It took 3 months before I could actually load a map on my GPS.

atlfootr
05-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Garmin is definitly a winner. :D
I've got a GPSMAP 175 and have had great success w/ it.
Super easy to use, other than alittle out dated it still works well for what I need.8p

One day, I'll update ... :)

east tx skier
05-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Proud owner of an etrex and recently a street pilot c340. Loving it so far. Previously had the old street pilot iii, but sold it to finance perfect pass.

6ballsisall
05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Thats great to hear!! I have a Garmin (wifes car) and a Tom Tom (my car) and I like the Garmin quite a bit more. Glad to hear the service is good as well.

east tx skier
05-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I just started playing around with the POI uploader on the garmin. Really cool. If you use the word "redlight" or "speed" in the file, it will set it up as an alert for a red light camera within a certain distance up to 1,300' or anything over a certain speed for the "speed" files (you set the speed when you load it). I did one last night for a school zone on a steep hill on my route to work. It worked like a charm and I remembered to slow down. I also watched the guy in front of me get a ticket.

There are several sites that have the redlight and speed camera POIs already created. I also found this site with user updated speed traps nationwide.

http://www.speedtrap.org/index.html

I added 3 to my hometown this morning. And will be uploading lots of speed trap alerts to the gps before my slew of trips this month.

atlfootr
05-02-2007, 11:51 PM
I just started playing around with the POI uploader on the garmin.
If you use the word "redlight" or "speed" in the file, it will set it up as an alert for a red light camera within a certain distance up to 1,300' or anything over a certain speed for the "speed" files (you set the speed when you load it). I did one last night for a school zone on a steep hill on my route to work. It worked like a charm and I remembered to slow down and I also watched the guy in front of me get a ticket.good one
:uglyhamme

milkmania
05-02-2007, 11:55 PM
I just started playing around with the POI uploader on the garmin. Really cool. If you use the word "redlight" or "speed" in the file, it will set it up as an alert for a red light camera within a certain distance up to 1,300' or anything over a certain speed for the "speed" files (you set the speed when you load it). I did one last night for a school zone on a steep hill on my route to work. It worked like a charm and I remembered to slow down. I also watched the guy in front of me get a ticket.

There are several sites that have the redlight and speed camera POIs already created. I also found this site with user updated speed traps nationwide.

http://www.speedtrap.org/index.html

I added 3 to my hometown this morning. And will be uploading lots of speed trap alerts to the gps before my slew of trips this month.

I heeeerd we was gonna git one of them flashing light thingys soon.

cousin Jeb said he done seen them in the big city:wavey:

Eagle Lake Rebel
05-03-2007, 03:08 AM
I've had a Garmin 176C for years with zero problems. Just recently bought a 378C with the XM weather hookup. Being able to watch what's going on with the weather while on the lake is great. No more getting caught in a bad thunderstorm.

atlfootr
05-06-2007, 08:55 PM
nice setup
http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-376C-Chartplotter-GPS-w-XM-Weather_W0QQitemZ330105263721QQihZ014QQcategoryZ84 077QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem