PDA

View Full Version : Farmer Ted....

milkmania
04-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I've got a buddy that needs to set up VOIP.....

the catch is... he must maintain his old number

can you help?

Farmer Ted
04-30-2007, 11:24 PM
He should be able to port his number, I went from Bellsouth to Packet8 and got to keep mine.....

https://www.packet8.net/learn/lnp.aspx

he cannot keep his number if he's currently using DSL.....

milkmania
04-30-2007, 11:28 PM
that's promising.....

I had a lady that went to packet 8 from Alltel, and they refused to port her number...
took her about a year to re-establish all those old business contacts, but she's happy now

milkmania
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
he'll have his broadband coming in through Cox Communications cable service...

it's a guy with a pizza store;)

he'll potentially lose sales when he changes numbers:(

Farmer Ted
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
that's promising.....

I had a lady that went to packet 8 from Alltel, and they refused to port her number...
took her about a year to re-establish all those old business contacts, but she's happy now

that's odd, was it a cellphone number she tried to port? I don't think a person can port a cell phone....

milkmania
04-30-2007, 11:35 PM
that's odd, was it a cellphone number she tried to port? I don't think a person can port a cell phone....

no, it was a land line.....

Alltel's phone service has been around here for 30 years or so....

She went with Packet 8, and I back-fed the existing phones from the modem, and used their lines in her home/office8p

Farmer Ted
04-30-2007, 11:38 PM
no, it was a land line.....

Alltel's phone service has been around here for 30 years or so....

She went with Packet 8, and I back-fed the existing phones from the modem, and used their lines in her home/office8p

How did that work out?

I thought about doing it since the alarm box is in our bedroom closet and close to the router, the line is terminated at the house (never hooked up) did you have to get a signal booster or did the P8 box get the job done?

milkmania
04-30-2007, 11:45 PM
How did that work out?

I thought about doing it since the alarm box is in our bedroom closet and close to the router, the line is terminated at the house (never hooked up) did you have to get a signal booster or did the P8 box get the job done?

here's her setup....

telco box on outside wall, feeding established home lines....
she turned a bedroom into a home/office... telco added a fax line and a phone line for office

cable modem came into that office, fed the Packet 8 modems, reversed the one line (fax line) back to telco's box....

at the box, I connected that old fax line to the established home lines.....

wallaa, I was done:D

all I used were the 2 packet 8 modems they shipped..... one for home, one for office, she added seperate (non packet 8) fax software to her PC... this was done before packet 8 perfected their fax/modem software.

LakePirate
05-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for taking food out of my mouth boys....

Erkle get 'em. No new bote if people keep going to internet telephony.

Before you leave your local telco be sure to call and make sure that you are getting the best discounts on everything.

Farmer Ted
05-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Before you leave your local telco be sure to call and make sure that you are getting the best discounts on everything.

after taxes and other "charges" $29-30 is hard to beat for unlimited long distance, call waiting, voice mail emailed to me, blah blah blah....

I remember having only basic service with BellSouth $12.99 and after everyone got done sticking their hands in my pockets the total was close to $25.....

nothing personal.....

BrianM
05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
after taxes and other "charges" $29-30 is hard to beat for unlimited long distance, call waiting, voice mail emailed to me, blah blah blah....

I remember having only basic service with BellSouth $12.99 and after everyone got done sticking their hands in my pockets the total was close to $25.....

nothing personal.....

Ditto. Can't beat the price and service on Packet8.

I have heard of people back feeding the lines in the house. Search the net there are lots of sites out there that show you how to do it. Mw, I don't care as I have 3 cordless phones that all talk to each other and work on the one connection.

milkmania
05-01-2007, 02:06 PM

the new fangled computers are putting the calculator & slide rule manufacturers out of business....

fiberglass put the hurt on the old wood boat builders...

and we all know what email has done for the postal service...8p

there'll be plenty of old folks that never get away from their standard single telephone lines...... much less ever buy a computer;)

p.s.
I live in the country, so my telco line has to stay

LakePirate
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
No worries boys, we will welcome you back with open arms...

Be on the look out, naked DSL is coming. (we gots to get ours)

As far as the other charges, talk to the FCC, you local 911, local taxes, etc, etc. We are just a 3rd party biller.

milkmania
05-01-2007, 11:54 PM
No worries boys, we will welcome you back with open arms...

Be on the look out, naked DSL is coming. (we gots to get ours)

As far as the other charges, talk to the FCC, you local 911, local taxes, etc, etc. We are just a 3rd party biller.

cool, the FCC is taking on one of the big boys:)

http://news.com.com/Source+FCC+to+dress+naked+DSL/2100-1037_3-5627726.html

LakePirate
05-02-2007, 11:14 PM
cool, the FCC is taking on one of the big boys:)

http://news.com.com/Source+FCC+to+dress+naked+DSL/2100-1037_3-5627726.html

I told ya .