PDA

View Full Version : Oil Milkshake, Ford 351W in 79 Stars+Stripes

79GhettoStar
04-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here and I just bought a 1979 Stars + Stripes in more or less "project" condition(check out the pink stripes). They guy said it 'just needed a starter' and my buddy and I only paid $2k for the boat and trailer (+$500 in gas to tow it from Sacramento home to Portland) he also said that he had overheated it two seasons ago (do to an impeller malfunction (( he was an IDIOT)) and had replaced the heads (one new, the other machined). He said that the water in the oil was because he 'didnít change it after replacing the heads' but I didn't quite believe him (it only takes 30 min to change the oil) but figured it was a good enough deal even if the block was cracked and it runs really strong.

We have changed the oil 3x and finally got it clean. We took it out last night for about an hour on the river and it pulls good, starts right up, purrs like a kitten and pushes the boat to about 41mph (should do more like 45 right?) , BUT the oil looks like a milkshake again . So it seems like he either did a crappy job installing the heads (there is instant gasket goop smeared everywhere) or the block is cracked.

My question is if we were to change the oil between every trip to the river (we go 1-2 times a week) is there a chance we could get through the season without replacing the block? What is the worst thing that could happen?
Can I replace the short block in the boat or does it have to be pulled out? About how many hours is that supposed to take (changing the block out)? What should I do?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

PS. Keep in mind I bought the ghetto version not because Iím a glutton for punishment but because it was the most boat I can afford right now and was actually a big upgrade from our last boat! : )

trickskier
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
That usually means water is getting into the crankcase. Possible blown head gasket or worse a cracked head or block.

Changing the oil & filter after each use will only shorten the life of the engine. Oil & water don't mix and it will have an adverse effect on the bearings. You need to find the source of the problem and fix it.

River Rat
04-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the MasterCraft family, I have no idea about your engine but I bet you could peal and buff those pink stripes out.

sanjuan23
04-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Put some flappers on that exhaust, There is a slim possibility of water getting back up the manifolds...

viabill
04-30-2007, 04:52 PM
"if we were to change the oil between every trip to the river (we go 1-2 times a week) is there a chance we could get through the season without replacing the block? What is the worst thing that could happen?
Can I replace the short block in the boat or does it have to be pulled out? About how many hours is that supposed to take (changing the block out)? What should I do? "

Every time water gets in the oil and circulates through the engine, you do some damage to the parts the oil is supposed to protect. You could make it through several trips, or just one more. You can't tell how fast the bearings and camshaft are being ruined.
It may only take replacing a head gasket to fix your problem, or it could be a cracked head, not necessarily the block. If you stop the water from leaking into the engine, you may extend the life of the block assy fo rthe rest of the season or more.

But... if you keep running it with water getting in the oil, you could easily destroy the engine. If the bearings let go while you're pulling at speed, the whole engine will be trash.
Moral of the story.... don't assume the worst, and don't push your luck!!

Prostar Rich
04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here and I just bought a 1979 Stars + Stripes in more or less "project" condition(check out the pink stripes). They guy said it 'just needed a starter' and my buddy and I only paid $2k for the boat and trailer (+$500 in gas to tow it from Sacramento home to Portland) he also said that he had overheated it two seasons ago (do to an impeller malfunction (( he was an IDIOT)) and had replaced the heads (one new, the other machined). He said that the water in the oil was because he 'didnít change it after replacing the heads' but I didn't quite believe him (it only takes 30 min to change the oil) but figured it was a good enough deal even if the block was cracked and it runs really strong.

We have changed the oil 3x and finally got it clean. We took it out last night for about an hour on the river and it pulls good, starts right up, purrs like a kitten and pushes the boat to about 41mph (should do more like 45 right?) , BUT the oil looks like a milkshake again . So it seems like he either did a crappy job installing the heads (there is instant gasket goop smeared everywhere) or the block is cracked.

My question is if we were to change the oil between every trip to the river (we go 1-2 times a week) is there a chance we could get through the season without replacing the block?

Sure but you would be going through a lot of oil and oil filters

What is the worst thing that could happen?

You get stuck out on the water.

Can I replace the short block in the boat or does it have to be pulled out?

You will need to pull the block.

About how many hours is that supposed to take (changing the block out)? What should I do?

I would pull the heads and check the gaskets. A lot cheaper than buying a short block. If the gasket is bad you just saved yourself from buying a short block. This is not real hard to do.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

PS. Keep in mind I bought the ghetto version not because Iím a glutton for punishment but because it was the most boat I can afford right now and was actually a big upgrade from our last boat! : )

Look around this site. You would be amazed at some of the restoration work that team members have done.

Good luck,
Prostar Rich

wgwollet
04-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Wow:

You got a great buy on that boat, for 2k, people pay that for cheap worn out jet skiis. I think the engine is taking on water and making the oil like a milkshake. In time it will lose power and blow a gasket.......but 351 Fords are everywhere for parts.......just enjoy.........

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-30-2007, 05:04 PM
So it seems like he either did a crappy job installing the heads (there is instant gasket goop smeared everywhere) or the block is cracked.
If you see the "goop" in the area of the heads, someone didn't do the job right when the heads were replaced. There should not be any sealer between the block and heads, only the head gasket. That would be a good place to start checking. As someone else mentioned, you might be able to solve the problem with some new head gaskets.

JimN
04-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Head gaskets don't get sealant. The heat causes it to "flow under pressure" when it gets hot. I had to re-do a motor due to this and when I turned the block over to remove the pistons, I saw that a freeze plug had been replaced, so when that piston came out, I saw that the cylinder wall was cracked. Once I had that cylinder sleeved and the others honed, new gasket set, new bearings, a couple of new piston heads and re-assembled, it ran great. That motor isn't bad to dis/re-assemble if you want to DIY it. If you don't have a motor stand or hoist and have always wanted one of each, Harbor Freight has some good deals on stuff like that. They also have a gantry crane that handles a ton (literally).

JEREMY79
04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
What do you want for that back seat?

SkiDog
04-30-2007, 07:33 PM
/////////////////////////

TX.X-30 fan
04-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Pulling the motor in that boat would take Stevie Wonder all of about 30 minutes!8p

Not sure that is PC at all. :noface: :cry:

JimN
04-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Oh, sure- pick on the blind guy!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
He's just sayin that Stevie is good with a wrench:D

Slinkyredfoot
04-30-2007, 09:32 PM
How much for the "zoomies" ?:cool:
Change the oil again. if it is still "Milkmania" you hve a problem or three. If I had more information this would be helpful, since I don't..how much for your accessory knobs?

88 PS190
04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
If you have milky oil, and don't know how long its been that way you need to have that engine rebuilt, the bearings could be rusty and waiting to fail and you risk damage to items that are more expensive such as your crank, block, cam.

Its time to pull that engine and strip it down, clean it out, and probably have the heads checked at a machinist to make sure they are square, new gaskets (normally head gaskets when you get water moving into the engine from the cooling passages.

SkiDog
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Not sure that is PC at all. :noface: :cry:
OMG, all I meant was, that those motors are so easy to pull out that even a blind guy could do it. Somebody's been watching too many caveman commercials!:(

79GhettoStar
05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I'll trade the back seat for a fresh Ford 351W! : )

79GhettoStar
05-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks Jeff, I WISH we could just peal those 'stickers' of and buff it out but those stripes are painted on THICK, complete with air brushed texture effects. dont know what to do about that, but figure i should get her running well first! : )

79GhettoStar
05-01-2007, 02:01 PM
What about throwing in a used FORD 351 engine from craigslist :

"I have an execellent running 351W, it's clean, no leaks. It is out and ready to go. It has a 2 barell carb. $350 OBO or trade for???? Please contact RobXXX-566 3760."

and transfering the marine stuff over to the new one?
if it takes stevie wonder 30 min to pull the motor how long would it take an average person (sounds like he is good with a wrench and im just ok..)

_mike

mpm32
05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
just check the rotation on your engine.

79GhettoStar
05-02-2007, 10:48 AM
So last night my buddy and I went out to Rad Dog 3 (our 1979 S+S's name) and decided to say a prayer and actually drain the oil. We had seen the frothy mess from checking the dipstick a few days before, and when we actually drained it out of the pan it was CLEAN and there was NO WATER in the oil! We filled it back up and took it down to the river with 15 min of daylight remaining and did cookies and got her working hard and checked the oil again and still no water! I think we are in the clear; it must have just been left over water from before (when the previous owner had blown a head gasket) because we don’t appear to have any more coming in!

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions on this one, I think we are good to go in the motor department now!!

Cheers!

Mike

TRBenj
05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Even if you think youve solved your problems, check your exhaust manifolds. If they are cracked or the gasket between manifold and riser is leaking, water will slowly make its way back down into the cylinders.

JEREMY79
05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
want to sell the back seat yet?

milkmania
05-03-2007, 08:47 AM
if it is still "Milkmania" you hve a problem or three. http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/boxer.gif

dang, the vultures are coming out!!!
did I miss where he said he was parting the boat out?

trickskier
05-03-2007, 09:05 AM
So last night my buddy and I went out to Rad Dog 3 (our 1979 S+S's name) and decided to say a prayer and actually drain the oil. We had seen the frothy mess from checking the dipstick a few days before, and when we actually drained it out of the pan it was CLEAN and there was NO WATER in the oil! We filled it back up and took it down to the river with 15 min of daylight remaining and did cookies and got her working hard and checked the oil again and still no water! I think we are in the clear; it must have just been left over water from before (when the previous owner had blown a head gasket) because we donít appear to have any more coming in!

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions on this one, I think we are good to go in the motor department now!!

Cheers!

Mike

I would suggest doing one last thing. Drain the oil, mix 3 quarts of oil with 2 quarts of kerosene and run the engine for about 10 minutes. Then drain, refill & change the oil filter. This will help clean & flush the gunk out of the engine.
Good look!!!

79GhettoStar
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Jeremy79, You are joking right?
If not i will gladly trade you my back seat for your dash.:)

79GhettoStar
05-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I would suggest doing one last thing. Drain the oil, mix 3 quarts of oil with 2 quarts of kerosene and run the engine for about 10 minutes. Then drain, refill & change the oil filter. This will help clean & flush the gunk out of the engine.
Good look!!!

TrickSkier,:banana: :banana: :banana:

Check, Check, Check! already done, actually we have drained and flushed the engine with 5 min flush & Diesel 3x to get all the water out, i think we are finally there! Thanks!

JEREMY79
05-03-2007, 08:33 PM
You cant have my dash, but PM me and I will tell you where I got the parts