PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Maristar 225 steering

bec1971
04-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi everyone,
I am a first time Mastercraft owner and got the chance to take it out this past weekend. I have a question about the steering. At cruising speed, say 3000 rpms (speedo is not working, read the other thread on that problem) the steering is tight when turning to the starboard, but loose when turning to the port. It is almost like if I let the wheel go, it wants to turn to the port. Is this normal with inboards or do I have a problem? At lows speeds through a "no wake zone" it stays straight.

Any help is appreciated.
Brian

sanjuan23
04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Read through the F.A.Q's. Welcome and Congrats

jwarren01
07-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I just purchased my first Mastercraft (1994 Maristar) and am having the same issue. Did you find a resolution.

bigmac
07-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone,
I am a first time Mastercraft owner and got the chance to take it out this past weekend. I have a question about the steering. At cruising speed, say 3000 rpms (speedo is not working, read the other thread on that problem) the steering is tight when turning to the starboard, but loose when turning to the port. It is almost like if I let the wheel go, it wants to turn to the port. Is this normal with inboards or do I have a problem? At lows speeds through a "no wake zone" it stays straight.

Any help is appreciated.
BrianPulling to one side is fairly common, and it's usually to starboard. Tow boats pulling skiers through the course like to have tension to turn against while pulling to keep them straight. It is annoying otherwise, IMHO.

You can adjust that by tuning the rudder. This is don by grinding a little bit from the trailing edge of the rudder on the opposite side that it's pulling. A little goes a long way. IMHO, use a hand file rather than a grinder or belt sander. Take a little bit of the sharp trailing edge with a few strokes, then test...repeat as necessary.

wilbucd
07-16-2007, 03:17 PM
I have the same boat as you and it does the same thing. I have just become accustomed to it.
Check the pitot tube on the back of the boat for the speedometer problem. Mine was clogged. Dental picks are the best tool to clean these out. I ask for used ones every time I go to the dentist.