PDA

View Full Version : Test Firing on trailer

PsychoatLarge
04-30-2007, 03:37 PM
This is my first year with my 1975 MC Stars and Stripes :) . What is the best way to get water to the engine when test firing the boat dry while on the trailer?

88 PS190
04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I feel the best way is to remove the water intake hose where it connects to the thru hull fitting, then either make a connection for your garden hose, or take a 5 gallon bucket, place the intake hose and place it into the bucket, then take your garden hose and turn it on and run it into the bucket.

Start the boat, and it will suck water out of the bucket for you.

Which is quite helpful.

PsychoatLarge
04-30-2007, 04:22 PM
I like the sound of the 5 gal. bucket method, it will let me know that my impeller is sucking. Thanks

wakescene
05-01-2007, 05:38 PM
personally I think this is about the best method...http://www.boatersworld.com/product/357260074msk.htm

Been using one for about 3 years now, no problems and I boat in salt water so I enjoy the fact that I can flush the motor after every use but not have to pull the boat out of the water ever time.

Simple to install too.

TX.X-30 fan
05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Anyone know what size hose is on an MCX for the perko flush pro??

wakescene
05-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I would expect 1 1/8th. I'd pop the hose off and measure or look on the thru-hull pickup and see if there is a marking indicating the size. Perhaps a call to a dealer or Vonore might help as well. If your running a late model boat, I would go 1 1/8th.

M-Funf
05-02-2007, 02:29 PM
First, welcome to the board! The methods above will work fine for running the boat on the trailer. Just remember not to take it above idle...

Oh, and if you've got pics of that ol' S&S, please post some!!!!

Ryan
05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
First, welcome to the board! The methods above will work fine for running the boat on the trailer. Just remember not to take it above idle...

Oh, and if you've got pics of that ol' S&S, please post some!!!!

Why limit wet running to only idle? It would take forever to get up to running temp to get the thermostat to open up. Wouldn't it? Unless one has a tranny that slips and lets the prop spin - potential safety issue...?

jraben8
05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
It really doesn't take it that long to reach operating temp. Maybe 5-7 minutes. The more important thing to think about is allowing enough water to get inside the engine. Higher RPM's mean more water to cool.

The outside faucet pressure at my home is good but I don't know to what extent in regards to how much water is required to cool one of our blocks???

JimN
05-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Ryan- if the air and, especially the water are not too cold, the thermostat will definitely open on the trailer.

I like running it on a bucket but 10 gallons is about the minimum I would use. If the water volume from the hose isn't sufficient, it'll suck the bucket dry. I just found a 55 gal blue plastic anti-freeze barrel for $4. Look around and I'm sure you can find something similar. 30 gal is a good size- not too big or too small.

M-Funf
05-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Why limit wet running to only idle? It would take forever to get up to running temp to get the thermostat to open up. Wouldn't it? Unless one has a tranny that slips and lets the prop spin - potential safety issue...?

If you use the bucket method and keep it full, there should be no problem. If you have a valve system and feed it with a hose, you could end up not having enough water going through the system...I guess for myself, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I should also mention that I don't run my boat to get it up to op temp, I just run it to clear the lake/river water out of the engine and to make sure it starts/runs/pumps, etc.

Willski
05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
I feel the best way is to remove the water intake hose where it connects to the thru hull fitting, then either make a connection for your garden hose, or take a 5 gallon bucket, place the intake hose and place it into the bucket, then take your garden hose and turn it on and run it into the bucket.

Start the boat, and it will suck water out of the bucket for you.

Which is quite helpful.

I use this exact method. I have a 90 fitting that I put on the water intake line and direct it into the bucket. I just put a valve on the end of my garden hose. I start with a full bucket and I never have any trouble running the bucket dry. You just have to watch it. At idle, I usually have to turn the hose down pretty low. At higher speeds, the boat will deplete the bucket, but I don't run too high of RPMS.

Litespeed
05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Do not put the prop in motion while out of the water or you will mess up the strut packing. It needs to be in the water to move the prop.