PDA

View Full Version : Teak Oil vs Teak Sealer

wakescene
04-30-2007, 03:25 PM
I know this is being discussed in another thread but I wanted a more definitive answer.

Situation:
I boat in Saltwater. I have a permanant mounted Teak swim platform. After just a few weeks in the water, the salt and sun beat the swim platform into a grayish ugly specimen, barely representing itself.

I understand Teak oil will penetrate the wood (properly prepped) and look pretty but will eventually dry out requiring maintenance. I do this VERY often and basically hate the task knowing what is going to happen. I have considered testing some urethanes but have not really wanted to waste the money or time.

Will any Teak Sealer or marine urethane give me that nice wood finish, seal the wood and still give a non-slick surface that you can safely walk on like the wood?

Thanks,
KG

88 PS190
04-30-2007, 03:28 PM
What I always tell people to do is go around their local marinas and look for a boat that has teal that looks like you want yours to.

Ask them what they use, how often, etc. etc.

There is regional variation in sun and condiditons, so discussing this with people who have figured it out for their area works great.