PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 205 gauges went dead

DanD
04-30-2007, 02:07 PM
I have '99 Prostar 205 and all the gauges went dead. I had it winterized at the dealer last fall and was getting it ready to put in the water. When I turned the keys to on they made their normal noise and then worked as usual. Then, I put the key to on and they did not move or make their normal noise. They have not worked since. Other than that they boat works fine and all the other electrical stuff works. I checked all the wire connections I could find and the connections to the battery. Everything looks tight and clean. Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

BX3
04-30-2007, 02:18 PM
DanD check the MDC box located I believe on your boat on the kick panel above your feet in the driver seat area. This box controls all outputs to your gauges. I have a 99 prostar and have replaced this box 7 times. There has been an upgraded version issued by Borg Warner which resolves most problems. If you still have trouble the box requires a very consistent voltage. I have mine now with a wire directly off of the battery to keep a steady current as alternator output can cause problems for the electronics. Let me know how you make out. I have now had no trouble for two years so I think my problem is solved. I had to call Borg Warner directly to get it done right however.

Cheers.

DanD
05-01-2007, 08:45 AM
I called the dealer and they said the same thing, that it is probably the MDC box. The dealer wants $235 for the module and they are out of stock. Does anybody know of a place to get the module cheaper? Thanks for the help BX3.

deansnyder
05-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I will be watching this thread closely as I have the exact situation. DanD, I am a bit concerned that you are watching over my shoulder. I could have typed the exact scenario that you did. I have a 1999 PS205 that I put in the water for the first time this year yesterday and no guages. Everything worked fine at the end of the year. However in my case, the dealer did install a PerfectPass for me over the winter. My guess is that the problem occured in this process.

joeking
05-14-2007, 05:32 PM
I have a '99ProStar. The Temp Gauge went out last year, and now this year the fuel gauge is doing weird things- needs about five minutes before it will show the 'true' amount of fuel.

I'm guessing it's the box?

DBR
05-14-2007, 07:07 PM
My 1999 Sportstar had same problem. New MDC fixed it.

deansnyder
05-22-2007, 12:38 PM
It was confirmed that my MDC was the problem with my guages. They have a new one on order. I will post back when it is all resolved with cost and any issues.

deansnyder
06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I just thought I would update this thread that my MMDC was replaced and the part was around $175 and it took 1/2 hour of labor to install. Overall, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I just hope I don't have any more issues with it. I am a bit worried that it could be a recurring issue.

DanD
06-01-2007, 01:48 PM
My problem was also the MCD box. It was cracked where the speedo tubes hook up. This let water get into the box. The box was filled with rusty water when I took it off. I can see why it didn't work. $235 for the new box.

BX3
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Guys remember to pull of the speedo tubes if you need to winterize your boats. Even though they should have no water in them, some always seems to lay in the tubes. If you leave them they freeze and sometimes warp or crack the MDC box where they are connected.