PDA

View Full Version : Bent Prop

landscape
04-30-2007, 09:56 AM
I took my boat out yesterday and before I put it in I noticed that all four prop blades were slightly dog eared. I did not notice any vibration. I do not remember ever hitting anything. My first thought was that I did it taking it out of the water on the trailer since I have been having trouble with shallow boat ramps. However after thinking about it I am not sure if this would be possible with the trailer under the boat in the water. Maybe it gets at a wierd angle or something. Anyway from now on I am just going tho winch it on the trailer. I have never taken the prop off does anyone know what size the nut is and is it left or right hand threads ?

Jkelly
04-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I done that to my prop the first time out. I let the boat get a little to far to one side and hit the side rail of the prop guard. The reason mine done it was I put the trailer to deep on a steep ramp. I was able to get it fixed for $85.

I think the nut is a one inch. A trick I did learn after you get the nut off take a RUBBER hammer and tap it on the back side and it will pop right off. Make sure you are ready to catch it when you hit it or it will be on the ground.

vogelm1
04-30-2007, 12:21 PM
The shaft does not have reverse-threads...you're good to go if you turn the nut counter-clockwise. I'd back off the nut several turns (but do not take all the way off) then tap the back of the prop with rubber mallet as mentioned - the nut will "catch" the prop and prevent it from falling on the garage floor.

JLeuck64
04-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Looking at the angle of the blades on your prop I think your prop nut may loosen if you turn it clockwise. Since I am in disagreement with other posts you could look at the threads on the prop shaft. The direction they are cut will show you which way to turn the nut to loosen it.

Also, I have found that an impact gun makes short work of removing the nut. If that tool is not available you could also use a block of wood wedged between the hull and one of the prop blades to hold everything still while you loosen. Once the nut is loose don't remove it just yet, leave it on just a few threads so the prop dosen't fall off when you start tapping it with your rubber mallet. When the prop starts to slide down the shaft it will come in contact with the nut again. Then you can remove the nut and prop.

A seldom used tool but well worth the investment is the prop puller...

landscape
04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
It was a standard thread. Turn left to loosen. Just used my foot to hold the prop. The size is somewhere between a 1 " and 1 1/4 ". So I used the handy adjustable wrench ! The rubber hammer trick worked great.

Jkelly
04-30-2007, 03:12 PM
I think the torque on that nut is only about 70-80 Ft/Lbs.
Could you see if hit the trailer or do you think there was something in the water.

cm02WS6
04-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure the torque on the nut is 30-35 ft-lbs.

TMCNo1
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
I done that to my prop the first time out. I let the boat get a little to far to one side and hit the side rail of the prop guard. The reason mine done it was I put the trailer to deep on a steep ramp. I was able to get it fixed for $85.

I think the nut is a one inch. A trick I did learn after you get the nut off take a RUBBER hammer and tap it on the back side and it will pop right off. Make sure you are ready to catch it when you hit it or it will be on the ground.
Back the nut off a few rounds but don't take it off, and when the prop pops off either with a hammer, puller, heat or all of the above, the prop won't fall off but will rest against the nut till you take the nut the rest of the way off, then just slide to prop off the shaft with no damage/noise or injury to anything. A gouged/torn prop will eat you alive if it falls off the shaft and bounces around out of control. We don't want anyone coming on here telling us a prop cut their wrist open, I've seen it happen! No, it wasn't me!

onewheat
05-02-2007, 12:16 AM
You can look at the prop guard on the trailer and instantly know if you hit it or someting else. Do you have a chip on the upper edge of the right guard? If so, you hit the trailer. Don't ask how I know. :mad:

landscape
05-02-2007, 12:57 PM
You can look at the prop guard on the trailer and instantly know if you hit it or someting else. Do you have a chip on the upper edge of the right guard? If so, you hit the trailer. Don't ask how I know. :mad:
Thanks, when I make it back to the garage with the prop, I will check that. $ 150.00 for the repair.

TRBenj
05-02-2007, 01:18 PM
$150.00 for the repair.

Wow, thats a hefty sum for a prop repair. Price will vary depending on region, but even Acme will only charge $120 to repair their own props. Ive heard of prices being as low as $70-80. I had my prop repaired (tuned to ISO class S standards) and cup added for $120.

tex
05-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Landscape,

I have a 2002 197 and if you get too deep on a ramp or get a little crooked...you can get into your trailer. There are 2 support bars that run to the prop guard...they are the usual suspects! As stated earlier...you will know the minute you take a good look at your trailer.

tex
05-02-2007, 01:22 PM
around $90 here.

EJ OJPROP
05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
We do all repairs in house. A typical repair runs from $50.00 to $100.00.