PDA

View Full Version : 214/X14 Ski Review thanks to Boat House Marine.

jkski
04-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Finally had the opportunity to ski the all new MC X14 on Saturday morning, thanks to the great people at The Boat House Marine just outside Akron, Ohio. While the water conditions were not great, I got the chance to slalom it at 15 off and 22 off as well as take a couple of quick barefoot runs behind it.
So, the verdict............ (in my opinion only)
MC got it right. I have owned nothing but PS197's and have always felt that the 197 was the only option in the MC lineup for slalom skiing, well, now there is a second option. The X14/214 ski's very similar to the 197 and in my opinion, the wake seems to lay down and roll a bit better than the 197. The wake seems to be a bit wider but not noticeable once you get into a good pull. The 22off bump is a bit bigger than the 197, however, again, not by much and it certainly will not stop you from running a PB in the course.
As for footin', I only took a couple of quick runs, as the water was rough and my first run ended in a toe digger. Prior to that, the wake and table was very comfortable and again the wake rolled, so you do not have any lip to contend with when crossing. The prop wash was minimal, especially considering this boat had a 3 blade prop (not sure why), but I'd venture to guess that with a 4 blade it would get even better.
Out of the hole, the boat was great, handling was great and truthfully, if blind folded I doubt I could tell difference when behind the boat.

jkski
04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Finally had the opportunity to ski the all new MC X14 on Saturday morning, thanks to the great people at The Boat House Marine just outside Akron, Ohio. While the water conditions were not great, I got the chance to slalom it at 15 off and 22 off as well as take a couple of quick barefoot runs behind it.
So, the verdict............ (in my opinion only)
MC got it right. I have owned nothing but PS197's and have always felt that the 197 was the only option in the MC lineup for slalom skiing, well, now there is a second option. The X14/214 ski's very similar to the 197 and in my opinion, the wake seems to lay down and roll a bit better than the 197. The wake seems to be a bit wider but not noticeable once you get into a good pull. The 22off bump is a bit bigger than the 197, however, again, not by much and it certainly will not stop you from running a PB in the course.
As for footin', I only took a couple of quick runs, as the water was rough and my first run ended in a toe digger. Prior to that, the wake and table was very comfortable and again the wake rolled, so you do not have any lip to contend with when crossing. The prop wash was minimal, especially considering this boat had a 3 blade prop (not sure why), but I'd venture to guess that with a 4 blade it would get even better.
Out of the hole, the boat was great, handling was great and truthfully, if blind folded I doubt I could tell difference when behind the boat.

Here are some photos for ya.

BrianM
04-30-2007, 11:52 AM
How much line are you using in those barefoot photos?

Doug Meeker
04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
JKski - I also got to ski the X-14 this week in Illinois. Didn't take any pics, but our conditions looked a little better than yours. 80 degree temps and no dry suits. I was amazed with the boat. My quick review is below. For all the 205 owners that are wanting to upgrade. I think this is the one.

We have an X-14 in stock. Today we finally put it on the water. I ski'd 34 mph 28 off in the course and was really impressed. The wake was a little harder than the 197 but not much. Then I actually lengthend the line and went to 15 - 34, there is where I was really impressed. Typically the longer line is where the wakes get really big. The 214 was awesome at that point. Edged right through and never felt like I was jumping out of the water at all. Then went to 22 - 34, Like all boats, the 22 wake was a little bigger and harder. Finished off with a couple more passes back at 28, didn't shorten beyond that. Typically I'm pretty picky about a slalom wake. I'd ski the course anyday with this boat. My wife was driving and said that is tracked really well once she got used to the size. I was also trying a new Radar 67" Senate, nice ski.

Then we loaded the ballast tanks and had six adults in the boat and let one of our wakeboarders ride. He typically rides an X2 at 22.5 and a 70 rope. We slowed down to 20 and pet him on a 60 foot rope. I lost track but I know he threw 7-8 different inverts, a batwing, couple of 540's and an off axis 360. Watching in the mirror, he wasn't quite as high with this boat, but it didn't slow him down at all. He said he was really surprised and didn't expect it to be as nice as it was. He described the shape as one that he could charge without getting out of control. Tom was riding a new Ronix One board.

doug - theliquidedge.com

jkski
04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
How much line are you using in those barefoot photos?

That was on 90 feet of line attached to the tower.