PDA

View Full Version : Gator Sightings on the Rise In Florida

trickskier
04-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Saturday, April 28, 2007
Story last updated at 8:45 p.m. on Saturday, April 28, 2007

Gator sightings rise in south Florida as water levels fall

The Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - One of the worst droughts in south Florida history has alligator sightings on the rise and airboat operators struggling to navigate the low-level water trails.

The gators seem to be moving west, and their increasing numbers are becoming apparent, said Steve Melnick, who conducts airboat tours at Everglades Holiday Park near Southwest Ranches.

The reptiles' own habitats are getting too dry, prompting the gators to search for deeper canals and lakes near populated areas, said Chuck Erismann, an officer with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Erismann said the increased gator sightings means additional risk. He said parents of small children should not leave them unattended near lakes and canals.

"It presents safety issues that require people to be more vigilant with their kids and be more aware of their surroundings," Erismann told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Some sections of the Everglades may become too difficult to navigate altogether, Melnick said.

"If we don't get rain soon, we are not going to be able to go up into the low-lying areas," he said.

Florida received 5.88 inches of rainfall during the first three months of the year, more than four inches below normal, according to the state Department of Environmental Protection. Lake Okeechobee is currently at a level of 10.08 feet, which is the lowest elevation ever recorded in April. Officials are concerned the lake could eclipse its 2001 record low of 8.9 feet if drought patterns continue.

Water levels range from just inches to about a foot deep in many places, down from the usual 3 1/2 feet, said Charles Peiffer, an airboat operator for ten years.

"I can still go out, but I have to be very careful where I stop. This boat will go in 1 to 2 inches of water, but I can't stop or I will get stuck in the muck," said Peiffer.

The Army Corps of Engineers is expected to decide next week if the South Florida Water Management District can pump Everglades water eastward to canals through the county, said Jesus Rodriguez, spokesman for the water management district.

___

Information from: South Florida Sun-Sentinel, http://www.sun-sentinel.com

JohnE
04-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I still can't understand you Fla guys skiing with the gators. Is it mating season yet?

trickskier
04-30-2007, 08:52 AM
If you ski in FL you will ski with gators. I don't know of a body of water in FL that does not have gators in it.................May is the peak mating season for gators in FL.............8p

atlfootr
04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
If you ski in FL you will ski w/ gatorsDon't jinks me now trickstr ...

Made it through the month of April w/ only 1 sighting and that wasn't even on my lake.
However, neighbor's across from me reported last weekend 2 doors down from where they live the home owner saw a 10 footer in his backyard :eek3:

Since then, if and when we foot that side of the lake .... you can sure as hell bet were ALWAYS LOOK'N OUT ;)

trickskier
04-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Don't jinks me now trickstr ...

Made it through the month of April w/ only 1 sighting and that wasn't even on my lake.
However, neighbor's across from me reported last weekend 2 doors down from where they live the home owner saw a 10 footer in his backyard :eek3:

Since then, if and when we foot that side of the lake .... you can sure as hell bet were ALWAYS LOOK'N OUT ;)
Just be careful during mating season. Gators are typically nocturnal except during mating season when they are on top of the water during the day to protect their territory.................Be on the lookout for this guy.............I hear he has a bad attitude................

SkiDog
04-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Just be careful during mating season. Gators are typically nocturnal except during mating season when they are on top of the water during the day to protect their territory.................Be on the lookout for this guy.............I hear he has a bad attitude................

Here's one that visited us in my subdivision last year. This pond is TINY, but it also backs up the salt marsh. So he could have come from anywhere. But you can bet your a$$, this IS HIS terrotory!

atlfootr
04-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Here's one that visited us in my subdivision last year.
This pond is TINY, but it also backs up the salt marsh.
So he could have come from anywhere. But you can bet your a$$, this IS HIS terrotory!That pond looks WAY TO SMALL to barefoot on, you won't find me there :D

SkiDog
04-30-2007, 10:48 AM
That pond looks WAY TO SMALL to barefoot on, you won't find me there :D
You'd have to be quick, its only about 20yds X 100yds!:D

trickskier
04-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I'll bet the water table goes up 3" when he gets in the pond........

JohnE
04-30-2007, 11:12 AM
If you ski in FL you will ski with gators. I don't know of a body of water in FL that does not have gators in it.................May is the peak mating season for gators in FL.............8p

So do you stop skiing during mating season? Or are you just careful no to fall?

trickskier
04-30-2007, 11:26 AM
So do you stop skiing during mating season? Or are you just careful no to fall?
No, I've never stopped skiing in May. I've see a lot of gators on the lakes & rivers I ski on, but have never heard of an attack. Truthfully, I am more affraid of Water Moccasin's than I am gators.

ski_king
04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
There was a great photo on a previous thread showing somebody footing within 20 ft. of a gator on the bank.
Maybe somebody saved it before all the attachments were lost a few years ago.

SkiDog
04-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I'll bet the water table goes up 3" when he gets in the pond........
Yea, this boy was at about 10-12 ft. long! He owned this lake!

Maristar210
04-30-2007, 12:21 PM
After clicking on this at work I can assure this link is far from work safe. FYI

TX.X-30 fan
04-30-2007, 03:12 PM
After clicking on this at work I can assure this link is far from work safe. FYI

Its not wife safe either!! :( :(

atlfootr
06-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Some idiot was feed'n one chicken parts across the street from me and now tonight,I saw a FWC trapper over there trying to find it for removal.
That SOB just signed it's DEATH WARRENT :rant:

trickskier
06-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Some idiot was feed'n one chicken parts across the street from me and now tonight,
I saw a FWC trapper over there trying to find it for removal.
That SOB just signed it's DEATH WARRENT :rant:
That dumb SOB should be arrested.................It's against the law to feed alligators!!!

atlfootr
06-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I saw this is the AJC news ...
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13501537/detail.html
POSTED: 9:09 am EDT June 14, 2007 UPDATED: 12:08 pm EDT June 14, 2007

S.C. Alligator Captured, Killed After Eating Dog

BLUFFTON, S.C. -- An eight-foot alligator has been captured and killed after it ate a dog. The gator had been in Bluffton for more than a week, and Critter Management officials say it ate a beagle-mix named Truffles on Monday. Billy Karijanian of Critter Management says it was an aggressive alligator.

The reptile attacked another dog last week, but the dog escaped and the gator disappeared. Karijanian says when officials found the alligator yesterday, it was hauled away and harvested for meat. Property owners in the Pine Ridge community had expressed concern about the animal, and they say they're now relieved the alligator is gone.

atlfootr
06-14-2007, 09:01 PM
That dumb SOB should be arrested.................It's against the law to feed alligators!!!One of the neighbor's took pictures of him feed it, I hope they lock his arssss up for along time.

trickskier
06-14-2007, 09:01 PM
I saw this is the AJC news ...
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13501537/detail.html
POSTED: 9:09 am EDT June 14, 2007 UPDATED: 12:08 pm EDT June 14, 2007

S.C. Alligator Captured, Killed After Eating Dog

BLUFFTON, S.C. -- An eight-foot alligator has been captured and killed after it ate a dog. The gator had been in Bluffton for more than a week, and Critter Management officials say it ate a beagle-mix named Truffles on Monday. Billy Karijanian of Critter Management says it was an aggressive alligator.

The reptile attacked another dog last week, but the dog escaped and the gator disappeared. Karijanian says when officials found the alligator yesterday, it was hauled away and harvested for meat. Property owners in the Pine Ridge community had expressed concern about the animal, and they say they're now relieved the alligator is gone.
Well you know, GATORS LOVE dogs...............Especially bulldogs!!!

atlfootr
06-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Long as it not (Chaz) a Rottiweiler ...

trickskier
06-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Long as it not (Chaz) a Rottiweiler ...
Or "CHOMPER" my Scottish Terrier

atlfootr
06-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Here's another sighting on the Chattahooce in ATLANTA, GA.
http://www.11alive.com/video/player.aspx?aid=73726&bw=

Gator Hangs Out in the 'Hooch
Jerry Carnes reports
(http://www.tmcowners.com/video/player.aspx?aid=73726&bw=)
An alligator, captured on home video, swimming in the Chattahoochee River near I-285 in Cobb County.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Chattahoochee River, below Interstate 285 is now home to an alligator that is, according to experts, about eight feet long.

The gator was spotted by a fisherman and officials with the state department of natural resources, who are now trying to evict the reptile from the 'Hooch.

On Tuesday afternoon, DNR officers were able to snag the gator with a line and hook, but the alligator was able to break the fishing line both times.

Apparently the alligator is not ready to give up its adopted home.

Nick Lorrimore is used to seeing wildlife along the Chattahoochee -- everything from water moccasins to raccoons. But the alligator was an oversized, teeth-bearing first.

"I ran back to the car, and the whole way back, I said, 'I know that was an alligator, I know I saw one'," Lorrimore said.

The first time he saw the eight-foot reptile, all he had with him was his fishing pole. He came within ten feet of the alligator.

He returned on Tuesday morning, to find the gator sunning himself on the banks of the river. Lorrimore took home video footage of the beast.

"He stayed there for a couple of hours, but he spooked real easy," Lorrimore said.

Rangers with the Department of Natural Resources spent hours trying to lure the gator back to the surface of the river with a baited line. They said this gator didn't make it to Metro Atlanta on his own.

"We believe someone brought this gator here," said Adam Hammond of the DNR. "Someone brought this alligator here. It's probably one that somebody dropped off."

Rangers said, if left alone, the gator won't bother anyone. Lorrimore said he is not taking any chances.

"I'm not scared by any means," Lorrimore said. "I just don't want to go wading in the water anymore, I'll tell you that. When they get him, I'll be back out there again."

About five times a year, officials with the DNR said, they get reports of alligators in north Georgia. But usually, the gators are not nearly this big. If the gator is caught, DNR rangers will take the gator to south Georgia and release him or her in a swamp where it won't be such a celebrity.

trickskier
06-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Isn't he BEAUTIFUL???

atlfootr
06-14-2007, 09:30 PM
he either video taped it from the 285 overpass or from a tree, would a blown if the branch he was on snapped.

LakePirate
06-14-2007, 09:47 PM
I was going to start a thread about the gator in the 'hooch.

atlfootr
06-14-2007, 09:50 PM
I was going to start a thread about the gator in the 'hooch.day late -- dollar short, you snooze you lose 8p

LakePirate
06-14-2007, 09:53 PM
day late -- dollar short, you snooze you lose 8p

Ain't no biggie

Hey Griff you had better watch out, if he can make it past six flags he could wind up in West Point.

atlfootr
06-14-2007, 09:57 PM
jus' jok'n .... go ahead and start a thread, feel free to use my post if ya like.

LakePirate
06-14-2007, 09:58 PM
You Florida guys got to take all our Large Reptile fame.

trickskier
06-14-2007, 10:01 PM
You Florida guys got to take all our Large Reptile fame.
Natural Habitat................We grow'em BIGGER in FLORIDA..............Send the runts to Ga...................;)

atlfootr
06-14-2007, 10:01 PM
You Florida guys got to take all our Large Reptile fame.I was once one of "you guys" :rolleyes:

Chief
06-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I still can't understand you Fla guys skiing with the gators. Is it mating season yet?

It's always mating season.

LakePirate
06-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Natural Habitat................We grow'em BIGGER in FLORIDA..............Send the runts to Ga...................;)

I'd bet the boys in the Okefenokee would disagree.

SkiDog
06-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Easy there Tricky! I'll put my gators up against yer gators...anytime!

trickskier
06-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Easy there Tricky! I'll put my gators up against yer gators...anytime!
I feel sure he was born in Florida or at least has relatives here............:D

Monte
06-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Did you see the News this morning? Seems there was a gator spotted in OH?????

MIMC
06-15-2007, 09:43 AM
NO WAY, no ah-ah! Visited my cousin in Lutz, FL 2 yrs ago - went for ski lessons. When we arrived at the lake we saw 2 gators laying on the shore. When I pointed them out the guy that runs the place says "they don't bug anybody", I said "they bug me" - no lessons for me that day!

trickskier
06-15-2007, 10:01 AM
NO WAY, no ah-ah! Visited my cousin in Lutz, FL 2 yrs ago - went for ski lessons. When we arrived at the lake we saw 2 gators laying on the shore. When I pointed them out the guy that runs the place says "they don't bug anybody", I said "they bug me" - no lessons for me that day!
Chicken..................When you swim or ski in a lake in Florida the Gators are there...........You may not see them but trust me they are there.......................:rolleyes: They won't bother you if you don't bother them...................:D

SkiDog
06-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Chicken..................When you swim or ski in a lake in Florida the Gators are there...........You may not see them but trust me they are there.......................:rolleyes: They won't bother you if you don't bother them...................:D

Yea, what he said!

MIMC
06-15-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm OK with being a CHICKEN, at least I'm a Chicken with all my limbs still attached! :D Isn't chicken a favorite food of gators.....they would smell me from a mile away! 8p

trickskier
06-15-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm OK with being a CHICKEN, at least I'm a Chicken with all my limbs still attached! :D Isn't chicken a favorite food of gators.....they would smell me from a mile away! 8p
That's just that yankee blood in ya!!! :D Here's my favorite place I like to go for a swim................;)

MIMC
06-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Just had to call IT services at work - need a new keyboard! Spewed Coke when I saw the pic - now that's funny, not what I expected! :D

trickskier
06-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Just had to call IT services at work - need a new keyboard! Spewed Coke when I saw the pic - now that's funny, not what I expected! :D

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

SkiDog
06-15-2007, 05:15 PM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme
Some people are sooooo gullable!:D

ski_king
08-06-2007, 08:16 AM
The gators can be found walking the streets of Pittsburgh now.
http://www.wpxi.com/news/13816186/detail.html

TMCNo1
08-06-2007, 11:03 AM
The gators can be found walking the streets of Pittsburgh now.
http://www.wpxi.com/news/13816186/detail.html

They must be out recruiting for next year! Was he wearing a Florida Gator hat?

trickskier
08-06-2007, 04:34 PM
They must be out recruiting for next year! Was he wearing a Florida Gator hat?
ALL GATORS wear FLORIDA HATS....................... ;)

pilot02
08-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Ain't no biggie

Hey Griff you had better watch out, if he can make it past six flags he could wind up in West Point.

Gator's don't bother me. Used to ski with em all the time back home and they were more scared of us than we were of them..

TMCNo1
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Gator's don't bother me. Used to ski with em all the time back home and they were more scared of us than we were of them..

That was back in the day, before several National Championships!:rolleyes: :D

shepherd
08-27-2007, 10:13 AM
We saw a 6 footer cruising across the end of the slalom course Friday night. We chased it off and it headed back across to the undeveloped side of the lake.

This beauty was pulled from our lake this weekend.

shepherd
08-27-2007, 10:16 AM
REMEMBER: Gators don't eat waterskiers.

but it looks like this one swallowed a toober

TX.X-30 fan
08-27-2007, 10:29 AM
REMEMBER: Gators don't eat waterskiers.

but it looks like this one swallowed a toober

Is it dead in that pic. :confused:

SkiDog
08-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Is it dead in that pic. :confused:

No, he's getting ready for a prostate exam!:D

shepherd
08-27-2007, 10:46 AM
No, he's getting ready for a prostate exam!:D

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

atlfootr
10-16-2007, 10:00 AM
This week's news already has me pissed off :rant:
Read this article, one of many in yesterday's local paper :mad:
I think you'll agree that the State should save us Florida tax payers the money of fry'n his arrs and let's do the same to him as he did to the little girl :mad:

Man sentenced to death for leaving girl to be eaten by alligators in Florida Everglades

MIAMI

A man convicted of murder for leaving a 5-year-old girl to be eaten alive by alligators in the Everglades was sentenced to death Monday.

A defense attorney said Harrel Franklin Braddy, who already served time in prison for attempted murder but was released early for good behavior, had befriended Shandelle Maycock and her daughter, Quatisha, through his involvement in church outreach programs.

Maycock testified that Braddy showed up at her house in 1998 and grew enraged when she asked him to leave.

Prosecutors said Braddy drove the girl's mother to a remote sugarcane field, choked her to unconsciousness and left her to die. Maycock woke up bleeding and disoriented, but managed to flag down help.

Braddy drove the girl to a section of Interstate 75 in the Everglades known as Alligator Alley and dropped her in the water beside the road, prosecutors said.

She was alive when alligators bit her on the head and stomach, a medical examiner said.

Authorities found the girl's body two days later, her left arm missing and her skull crushed, prosecutors said.

Braddy, 58, was convicted in July of first-degree murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, and other charges.

Judge Leonard E. Glick also sentenced Braddy to three consecutive life terms for kidnapping and burglary with an assault charges. He also got 30 years in prison for the attempted murder of Maycock, 15 years for child neglect causing great bodily harm and five years for attempted escape.

"I'm saddened for both families," said Braddy's attorney, G.P. Della Fera.
Maycock sobbed during the initial sentencing as she told jurors how her life without her only child would never be the same. The girl she nicknamed "Candy" had just started kindergarten and loved writing her name and singing along with the church choir.

"The State is grateful that Quatisha's small voice was finally heard, and that the defendant received the sentence he so rightfully earned," prosecutor Abbe Rifkin said in a statement.

milkmania
10-16-2007, 10:03 AM
This week's news already has me pissed off :rant:
Read this article, one of many in yesterday's local paper :mad:
I think you'll agree that the State should save us Florida tax payers the money of fry'n his arrs and let's do the same to him as he did to the little girl :mad:

Man sentenced to death for leaving girl to be eaten by alligators in Florida Everglades

I got to the headline before I got pissed off

going back to read story:rolleyes:

atlfootr
10-16-2007, 10:28 AM
I got to the headline before I got pissed off

going back to read story:rolleyes:Can't wait to read your next comment(s) or anyone else's.

KnoxX2
10-16-2007, 10:59 AM
What a sick son of a B!t@%.

If he saw not let out the first time that little girl would still be alive.

TMCNo1
10-16-2007, 11:09 AM
And the jerks who let the scumbag out the first time after being convicted of attempted murder are probably still doing their job and getting paid for it. The parole board now should be tried and convicted for being a Accessory To Murder in conjunction with his sentence! The death sentance should be carried out by chaining and handcuffing him to a tree in Alligator Alley and leaving him to the simular fate as the little girl. Make him part of the food chain!

atlfootr
10-16-2007, 11:22 AM
These are goooooood, keep'em com'n.

Bruce
10-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Can't speak for Fla. but here in the bayous we just ski with them we don't mate. (Well there is the cajun guy who -----never mind)

atlfootr
10-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Can't speak for Fla. but here in the bayous we just ski with them we don't mate.
(Well there is the cajun guy who -----never mind)

Not to jack thread or anything, but ...

Bruce, you ever hear of a guy called "The Rage'n Cajaun", aka Greg Davenpont.
He's a barefoot'n buddy of mine that lives dwn there in LaCombe. LA.

It'd be a "small world" if you did :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
10-16-2007, 11:39 AM

JohnE, bring home some flowers and just sweet talk Monica! You don't have to resort to wild animals!:D

Bruce
10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Not to jack thread or anything, but ...

Bruce, you ever hear of a guy called "The Rage'n Cajaun", aka Greg Davenpont.
He's a barefoot'n buddy of mine that lives dwn there in LaCombe. LA.

It'd be a "small world" if you did :rolleyes:

Do you per chance mean Daigreont? If so I will PM you

atlfootr
10-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Do you per chance mean Daigreont? If so I will PM youAffrimitive, that's close enough sorry for the miss spelling of his name :rolleyes:
So, you know this character or what? :confused:

Bruce
10-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Affrimitive, that's close enough sorry for the miss spelling of his name :rolleyes:
So, you know this character or what? :confused:
PM to You.

atlfootr
10-17-2007, 11:12 AM
PM to You.

Same back atch ya .... :D

Muttley
10-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Jeez, I'm glad we don't have those! The worst I ever had to deal with was almost hitting a beaver swimming through the course. At least they don't eat you when you fall!

TMCNo1
10-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Jeez, I'm glad we don't have those! The worst I ever had to deal with was almost hitting a beaver swimming through the course. At least they don't eat you when you fall!

Man, could I run with that one!

ski_king
10-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I heard they like to chew on wood.

rektek
10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
hmmmm:mad:

T Scott
10-17-2007, 11:39 PM
OK..I have to defend my state here. According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commision, there have been only 21 fatal alligator attacks in the state of Florida since 1948. There is a much higher incidence of fatalities with dog attacks, car accidents, accidental drownings, etc. Although each death is tragic, the odds of someone being attacked by an alligator are extremely low. You are much more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the lake than to die from an alligator attack.

See website for more info...

http://myfwc.com/gators/nuisance/GatorBites.pdf

Come on in boys.....the water is fine!

kvalve
10-17-2007, 11:43 PM
OK..I have to defend my state here. According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commision, there have been only 21 fatal alligator attacks in the state of Florida since 1948. There is a much higher incidence of fatalities with dog attacks, car accidents, accidental drownings, etc. Although each death is tragic, the odds of someone being attacked by an alligator are extremely low. You are much more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the lake than to die from an alligator attack.

tell that to the guy who had his arm ripped out of the socket !

T Scott
10-17-2007, 11:44 PM
tell that to the guy who had his arm ripped out of the socket !

I think that is photoshopped!

rektek
10-17-2007, 11:50 PM
I think that is photoshopped!

http://www.charleston.net/photos/galleries/2007/sep/17/alligator_attack/

T Scott
10-17-2007, 11:56 PM
WOW!! I stand corrected! That is a tragic story!

TX.X-30 fan
10-18-2007, 12:37 AM

Perfect sense.

atlfootr
10-18-2007, 08:30 AM
:noface: Don't MOLEST :noface:
http://myfwc.com/gators/nuisance/ALLIGATOR_SIGN.pdf

atlfootr
10-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Gators don't attack skiers hmmmm:mad:

If memory serves me correctly, this guy was snorkling not skiing.

atlfootr
10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
OK..I have to defend my state here.
According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commision, there have been only 21 fatal alligator attacks in the state of Florida since 1948.

Although each death is tragic, odds of someone being attacked by an alligator are extremely low.

I'm siding w/ my buddy Tom on this one.
I've lived here now in Winter Haven, Fl for nearly 2 yrs come January '07 and as of yet have not been attacked :rolleyes:

My wife and I foot as much as possible, which at this time is nearly every other day or so.

I have seen many a gators both BIG 'n small out on the lake(s) while barefoot'n, but as long as you use common sense to avoid 'em they usually will swim the other away.

And more good news is that my dog Chaz is still here too :D

shepherd
10-18-2007, 10:22 AM

Now you've gone and done it.

Let me correct you: Gators don't attack waterskiers... unless they're tourists!

shepherd
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
http://www.charleston.net/photos/galleries/2007/sep/17/alligator_attack/

That guy was swimming. Gators attack swimmers. If you ski and fall... don't swim! Just wait for the boat to come back and get you. :o

Seriously, gators are by nature very shy creatures. I believe it's the boat that keeps them away. As far as they know, the boat is just a bigger gator that he doesn't want to mess with. The guy swimming around near shore is more likely to be mistaken for a food source, similar to a deer or large dog. The only time I get a little nervous is when I'm floating in the water and the boat is far away, like the time I fell and the driver didn't notice until he got through the end of the course. But even then, if there was a gator around the boat most likely scared it away on the first pass through the course.

I've been on the upper St. Johns River in my old Mastercraft (not skiing!) with literally dozens of gators lined up on the riverbank. I couldn't get closer than 10 yards to any of them before they'd run away. And these guys were used to seeing boats pass by all the time. They just didn't like it when we got too close.

east tx skier
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I've seen one near one of our favorite ski spots. You're right, even at 8 feet long (he gets bigger every time I tell the story), he wanted nothing to do with a 20 foot ski boat. He couldn't get out of there fast enough. Now, with water levels back up, the gators are less likely to stray into the skiable water. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

There are gators at my ski spot. Stay away!

atlfootr
05-19-2008, 09:25 AM
I've lived here now in Winter Haven, Fl for nearly 2 yrs and as of yet have not been attacked :rolleyes:

I have seen many a gators both BIG 'n small out on the lake(s) while barefoot'n, but as long as you use common sense to avoid 'em they usually will swim the other away.

And more good news is that my dog Chaz is still here too :DChaz 'n I went fish'n Sunday morning and spotted this one near the shoreline.

trickskier
05-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Chaz 'n I went fish'n Sunday morning and spotted this one near the shoreline.

By the size of his head, I would say he's around a 10 footer................8p

wakeX2wake
05-19-2008, 09:37 AM
sorry... if i see gators here i don't go back to that lake... those things are so fierce... i like to stay on top of the food chain... not messing w/ a gator in the water... call me a weenie or whatever but i can go somewhere else to get a set in

trickskier
05-19-2008, 09:39 AM
sorry... if i see gators here i don't go back to that lake... those things are so fierce... i like to stay on top of the food chain... not messing w/ a gator in the water... call me a weenie or whatever but i can go somewhere else to get a set in

If you ski or swim in Florida, you are skiing or swiming with gators............:D

6ballsisall
05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
If you ski or swim in Florida, you are skiing or swiming with gators............:D

Guess I won't be living in Florida then........;)

coz
05-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Guess I won't be living in Florida then........;)

Required riding equipment in Florida :D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2408/2091666020_21c1cc7f70_o.jpg

Willski
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I would be a little spooked skiing in FL.

wakeX2wake
05-19-2008, 10:31 AM

I don't think i'll be living there either... i have a real problem about sharing space w/ something that in all likelyhood considers me breakfast... i'm not steve irwin and i don't think i'm going to ride w/ my Glock in my board shorts

coz
05-19-2008, 10:41 AM
i don't think i'm going to ride w/ my Glock in my board shorts

You don't have to, your chick can pack for you :rolleyes:

http://www.thunderwearholsters.com/images/girl1.jpg
http://www.thunderwearholsters.com/images/girl2.jpg
http://www.thunderwearholsters.com/images/girl3.jpg

atlfootr
06-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Something for SkiDog ...

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/assets/documents/Gator%20Hunt%20Guide.pdf

SkiDog
06-22-2008, 11:14 AM
A few shots of our ski outing a couple of weeks ago. I now call our ski river;'Gators Den'. Still doesn't bother us to ski there though.

atlfootr
06-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey Dog,

That's jus' a baby ... read up on extremination of the critters :D
Then when they reach 14-16 feet, you can worry :rolleyes:

SkiDog
06-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey Dog,

That's jus' a baby ... read up on extremination of the critters :D
Then when they reach 14-16 feet, you can worry :rolleyes:

The top picture is baby's momma! She wasn't too happy with us bothering her child!

atlfootr
06-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Looks like a pretty good streamline wake bhind her :rolleyes:
What's your guess on length?

silverblueBP
06-22-2008, 11:32 AM
While growing up in Bunnell, FL....we skied all the time with gators and never had any problems. We'd make a few laps around the lake and they would head off into the weeds and pretty much stay there.
It was always an eerie feeling though if we were left in the water for too long!

We would go out there sometimes after dark with a q beam just to see how many eyes were there. That used to freak out any newbs :D

SkiDog
06-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Looks like a pretty good streamline wake bhind her :rolleyes:
What's your guess on length?

8-10 feet I would guess.

SierraDump
06-22-2008, 07:29 PM
So I just jumped to the last page don't know if anyone posted this video yet?

Barefooter hits an alligator and wrestles it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ytOcK4_3dQ

shepherd
06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
We've been seeing a few gators around our course lately. They're cute.

And now, we have hammerheads in the kiddie pool at the beach. :noface:

T Scott
06-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Shep....I agree, I'd much rather ski with gators (since they are afraid of people) instead of swimming with Hammerheads! Yikes! Is that a pic you took or was it inthe local newspaper?

shepherd
06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Shep....I agree, I'd much rather ski with gators (since they are afraid of people) instead of swimming with Hammerheads! Yikes! Is that a pic you took or was it inthe local newspaper?

Friend emailed it to me, and it showed up in the local newspaper later.

It's funny, there were a lot of small fishing boats gathered around the entrance to the kiddie pool when I went by on Saturday. Reminded me of a scene from Jaws.

6ballsisall
06-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Forgive my lack of knowledge on Sharks, but are Hammerheads considered a risk for humans or are they more like Nurse sharks?

flipper
06-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Forgive my lack of knowledge on Sharks, but are Hammerheads considered a risk for humans or are they more like Nurse sharks?

Found this, doesn't sound like they attack very often, and have never killed a human. The stories I found, people were messing with the shark and got bit.....that's what you get!!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Has_there_ever_been_a_fatal_hammerhead_shark_attac k_recorded

mpm32
06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Depends on which kind; Of the nine known species of hammerhead, three can be dangerous to humans: the scalloped, great, and smooth hammerheads.

shepherd
06-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Interesting. I didn't know there were more than one species of hammerheads.

Back on topic: That same park where the sharks were has a small inland lake called "Gator Lake." My sister and her kids (4 and 8 yr old) were walking around it when they looked up and saw a gator about 10 feet from them. They backed away slowly... :o

6ballsisall
06-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Interesting. I didn't know there were more than one species of hammerheads.

Back on topic: That same park where the sharks were has a small inland lake called "Gator Lake." My sister and her kids (4 and 8 yr old) were walking around it when they looked up and saw a gator about 10 feet from them. They backed away slowly... :o

ugh.......you guys can keep Florida and your Gators. I'll stay in North Georgia thank you very much

atlfootr
06-27-2008, 09:41 AM
And now, we have hammerheads in the kiddie pool at the beach. :noface:
What'da like the sign says ... should of had your friend take a pic' from the other side of it.

CReasner
06-27-2008, 11:39 AM
ah man, the lake behind my house is territory for atleast 20 gators. I saw a guy the other day standing in the middle fishing!! he didn't pay any attention to them.

I hate shallow waters.

shepherd
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
:(

400-pound gator kills dog in Bayou George

http://www.newsherald.com/news/george_4682___article.html/bayou_gator.html

atlfootr
07-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Can't begin to even imagine how the family feels, we we' re out fish'n yesterday saw one off the side of the boat -
there may of even been a second.:rolleyes: